Player Discussion Marner Talk - Get Your Daily Dose of Redundancy

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
IMO it raises questions about where is all the money going that is raised. Again, I have no idea about the structure of the foundation, but it causes me to wonder how much is being taken out to support the family.
If it's anything like most charities...most of the money goes to the employees and very little (less than 10%) makes it to the actual cause. It's a way for people to give themselves jobs. A non-profit is required to spend 80% of the profit...thus the non-profit status. Very shady....

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner could score 120 points in Chicago with Bedard, and that would be fine provided we made productive upgrades to the team with the cap savings and we get closer to our playoff goals by leaps and bounds.
It depends on the return.
I’d also look at signing Geuntzel UFA. That would address his immediate departure for us if we are getting prospects.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gonna be hard to pry the Marners from the Leafs. His MAF foundation employs the entire lot of them lol... mom, dad, brother and wife...and probably much more.

There are so many reasons i dislike the Marner family. This is just another one of them to go with the rest.

Sometimes people come off as unlikable on camera because they just arent likable.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I cannot see how Marner can possibly not waive.

Why subject himself a total media and fan shit storm for the next year as he remains unsigned?

Marner is about the money, and he will get his $12m from someone else, minus the zoo and endless criticism he will face playing out the year here on a lame duck one year contract.

I think Marner is dumb but his agent is not, and he can read the tea leaves.

Marner needs to go. The fans have soured and at minimum can see he isn’t a player that is suited for playoff hockey.

There’s no need to stick it out and go from being “a god” to a despised play by the home crowd.

He is thin skinned and cares how he’s perceived. His easiest out is to waive and then be in involved in picking his destination.

If he plays it right, he could return a hero. If he plays it wrong, he can easily be a very despised player here.

to be clear he is already despised and nobody, other than a handful of posters here who are probably members of his family or private security, views him as a god.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
My gut feeling is they're going to convince Tavares to waive his NMC and keep Marner.

Both should go but I think this is what will happen.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Marner could score 120 points in Chicago with Bedard, and that would be fine provided we made productive upgrades to the team with the cap savings and we get closer to our playoff goals by leaps and bounds.
Well, with all due respect...duh.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I think he could go at 50% retention (another team) to Buffalo. Carolina. Maybe Ottawa if he wants to stay close.

That's exactly what I'm seeing happening the week his bonus is paid. Some retention and send him where he wants to go.

It's all guesswork but I feel their initial goal was to let Tavares run out (when they signed Nylander) but now they're pushed into a corner. They're going to go hard to convince Tavares to leave early and present the open cap space as their solution for next season.

Should be interesting.

If there were no NMCs involved, this is 100% what would have happened.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's exactly what I'm seeing happening the week his bonus is paid. Some retention and send him where he wants to go.

It's all guesswork but I feel their initial goal was to let Tavares run out (when they signed Nylander) but now they're pushed into a corner. They're going to go hard to convince Tavares to leave early and present the open cap space as their solution for next season.

Should be interesting.

If there were no NMCs involved, this is 100% what would have happened.

I actually wouldn’t mind letting JT run out his contract IF and only if he agrees to a cheap long term contract like 3-4 million.

If not then yes we let him go. I just don’t see what we are going to spend all that cap on. It’s only 1 year

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
they should offer him league min just to humble him and put him in his place.
He should be suplexed, put in the camel clutch, break his f***ING back then make him humble, old country way.

Sheiky Baby #1 not like that no good son of a bitch Marner!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I think the roster will breathe a collective sigh of relief when Marner and Tavares are gone from the dressing room. I have a feeling those guys aren't well-liked. Tavares getting the C didn't sit well with me, and I am sure it didn't sit well with the guys in that dressing room either.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I actually wouldn’t mind letting JT run out his contract IF and only if he agrees to a cheap long term contract like 3-4 million.

If not then yes we let him go. I just don’t see what we are going to spend all that cap on. It’s only 1 year

Their main issue now has to do with job security.

If they let Tavares naturally run out and the core fails again, the next "solution" is going to involve cap space from Tavares and Marner + Shanny out + Treliving out with a complete overhaul. Pelley will rebrand it as a refresh at next year's press conference.

This is why I think they're completely pushed into a corner after this year's failure and have to go big.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This is insane.

This divorce from the Leafs needs to happen for everyone’s sake. The well is poisoned. Hopefully that Utah comment is a hint he’s willing to waive for some teams.

I have no hate towards Marner but I have no love either and as a matter of fact I don't think I have love for any of our core. I would have if one or all of them decided to take a little less to help continue building this team up but they didn't. I'm sure Marner is a great guy, unbelievable human and what not. Unfortunately, he's the casualty of our repeated failures in the playoffs. We need to change it up as this baby is stale.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I have no hate towards Marner but I have no love either and as a matter of fact I don't think I have love for any of our core. I would have if one or all of them decided to take a little less to help continue building this team up but they didn't. I'm sure Marner is a great guy, unbelievable human and what not. Unfortunately, he's the casualty of our repeated failures in the playoffs. We need to change it up as this baby is stale.
Anyone taking less for the team is just ridiculous. When Rielly took less almost all said Captain what a great deal. Today his thanks is, trade him… lol. There is no loyalty to anyone other than yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad