Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He hasnt been ALL NHL team in 2 years and hasnt been close really these past two years

95 pt 1 time selke finalist winger is not impressive aa you think

Wingers who are better than Marner

Kucherov
Rantanen
Pasta
Tkachuk
Panarin

Wingers who are in same tier as Marner

Jason Robertson
Kirill Kaprizov

He is the 6th to 8th best winger in the league who doesnt have a great skating game and will be 28 at the time of being a UFA

That ignores his epic playoff failures all together.

We just saw 2 comparable wingers in Gaudreau and Huberdeau get insane money in their late 20s after elite years for past several years fall off.

Nylander was a better player than Marner for the full 2023-2024 season. If marner has another comparable year where Nylander outplays him again at 11.5M then he will need to take less than that to get his money

Next year is a big season for marner, whether in toronto or anywhere. He is at threat to be a non top 10 winger in the league if nylander continues playing like this, and reinhart, forsberg and a few other wingers have a repeat year.

League scoring is crazy high but marner is a non threat in any race (rocket, ross, assist title, hart, lindsay). It shows you he just a great player who isnt a franchise talent outside of toronto

Sad to think that Marner will be 28 when he's a UFA...this core is getting old before our eyes with not much to show for...Leafs had so much promise. It is crazy to think they could run it back after 8 years of playoff futility.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I think it is the most reasonable outcome.

That would be about 12.5% of the cap in a 93 million cap. What would you possibly think a 95 pt 1st team all star selke nominated winger would ask for?

About 14% is pretty standard for his stats.

That would be about 13.

He gets his money. He gets a small raise. More than Willie. It’s fair

I think he’s already paid too much for what he provides. I don’t even want to re-sign him. I want him gone at all costs.

Anyone got Cole’s notes on what is said?

Not a podcast guy, and not really a Mirtle guy either, but I’m bored, curious, and a bit obsessed.

TIA

Basically Mirtle said that Marner has private security that like to harass the media for him.

• Wow
Reactions: LeafSteel

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sad to think that Marner will be 28 when he's a UFA...this core is getting old before our eyes with not much to show for...Leafs had so much promise. It is crazy to think they could run it back after 8 years of playoff futility.
I hope not. I’ll be glad when we move on from him. Then I can at least enjoy the atmosphere of the team again. If we only make 1 move, that’s it for me. The playoff culture needs a change and it’s a change from the core not the “snot”.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think he’s already paid too much for what he provides. I don’t even want to re-sign him. I want him gone at all costs.

Basically Mirtle said that Marner has private security that like to harass the media for him.

So in your mind. A league minimum contract is too much?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
James Mirtle had an interesting comment about the Marner camp today on the Leaf Report. I checked the podcast and the audio snip is accurate.

Private security people to harass media members?

Wow, I don’t know how true this is but if so, that’s just so disgusting. Although this does make sense, he and his camp takes the fans perception of himself and his brand way too heavily.

I can only imagine what he and they would do if he has a 60 point season similar to 18-19 nylander. Marner might just sit the rest of the season out

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Click the link, it's 55 seconds long, takes longer to type it out lol
1715129529690.png

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Anyone got Cole’s notes on what is said?

Not a podcast guy, and not really a Mirtle guy either, but I’m bored, curious, and a bit obsessed.

TIA
Reporter notes that there is "strange stuff" going on with Marner's sensitive camp:
  • Blackballed, mad at said reporter for unknown reasons.
  • Feuds going on.
  • Private security that harasses media.
Reporter concludes that he feels bad for Marner.

Reactions: LeafSteel

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Reporter notes that there is "strange stuff" going on with Marner's sensitive camp:
  • Feuds going on.
Thank you. 🙏

Reactions: ITM

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
  • Feuds going on.
Adam Wylde reports this a few years ago and people dismissed it as nothing.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Adam Wylde reports this a few years ago and people dismissed it as nothing.
Interesting.

With respect to his private security, do you know if he had that service before the carjacking incident?

If it was after, I can understand the security element.

The private security harassing (proactively) the media...is a different kettle of fish.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Interesting.

With respect to his private security, do you know if he had that service before the carjacking incident?

If it was after, I can understand the security element.

The private security harassing (proactively) the media...is a different kettle of fish.
From what I read on this through Reddit. It was before the car jacking but that is not a proven fact.

Reactions: ITM

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
“Stop f***ing crying bro” is what needed to be said to him in like his sophomore season when Babs put him on the 4th line.

His camp seems toxic as hell.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He hasnt been ALL NHL team in 2 years and hasnt been close really these past two years

95 pt 1 time selke finalist winger is not impressive aa you think

Wingers who are better than Marner

Kucherov
Rantanen
Pasta
Tkachuk
Panarin

Wingers who are in same tier as Marner

Jason Robertson
Kirill Kaprizov

He is the 6th to 8th best winger in the league who doesnt have a great skating game and will be 28 at the time of being a UFA

That ignores his epic playoff failures all together.

We just saw 2 comparable wingers in Gaudreau and Huberdeau get insane money in their late 20s after elite years for past several years fall off.

Nylander was a better player than Marner for the full 2023-2024 season. If marner has another comparable year where Nylander outplays him again at 11.5M then he will need to take less than that to get his money

Next year is a big season for marner, whether in toronto or anywhere. He is at threat to be a non top 10 winger in the league if nylander continues playing like this, and reinhart, forsberg and a few other wingers have a repeat year.

League scoring is crazy high but marner is a non threat in any race (rocket, ross, assist title, hart, lindsay). It shows you he just a great player who isnt a franchise talent outside of toronto
Kaprizov belongs with the first group. He most certainly is better than Marner. Kaprizov, in just his 4th season, had 46 goals and 96 points in 75 games. The next best player on wild had 69. Marner relies way to much on his teammates for him produce. Marner, playing with Matthews produced less points /60 than Kaprizov with a 60 point linemate.

Reactions: Cypruss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad