Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Friedman said Ferris likes his players going to ufa for negotiating reasons. Marner in his exit interview kind of, in a an indirect way indicated that he's willing to start talking extension asap. Looks like Marner doesn't have interest in playing hard ball this time around, probably given the thin ice hes already on. The Athletic reported there wasn't extension negotiations last season... probably was a Ferris tactic and not so much Tree. But yea Marner seems to be showing cracks.
Can't imagine he wants to go through the entire season with the fans on him if he either won't sign now or won't waive his NMC, so to me those are the only two options. Can't see him just playing and pretending like everything is fine until next summer.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Some of this thread reminds me of something straight out of an Edward G. Robinson movie.

"Yeah, so you don't want to waive eh Mitch, well Vinnie can take you out back and show you how to waive the proper way if you know what I mean, yeah. If that doesn't fix ya, you can stay stapled to the 4th line all year, yeah"

Reactions: Antropovsky

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Can't imagine he wants to go through the entire season with the fans on him if he either won't sign now or won't waive his NMC, so to me those are the only two options. Can't see him just playing and pretending like everything is fine until next summer.
Agreed.

He already looks utterly joyless in this marketplace - now have a contract / NMC situation wrapped around his neck? That's just not good for anyone involved, Mitch included.

More than anything else, Marner needs to find a way to get that smile back on his face - whether that's here, or elsewhere, it has to be his / his camp's priority.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
His one goal in the series is the first time in his career that he's score a goal past game 3 of a series.
One of his assists he tapped a won faceoff back to McCabe who scored off the slap shot. Even Reaves can make that play. If the faceoff isn't won, he doesn't get an assist and then he has 1 g, 1 a, 2 points in 7 games.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Mirtle said on a recent podcast appearance he's heard a lot of people mention Anaheim in the past as a Marner destination if he ever leaves Toronto, but he's not sure if he still meshes with the new management group there.

Anaheim's new FO has quickly developed a reputation for really tough contract negotiations with their players, having Verbeek as GM with Jeff Solomon as his top AGM and VP of hockey ops.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Mirtle said on a recent podcast appearance he's heard a lot of people mention Anaheim in the past as a Marner destination if he ever leaves Toronto, but he's not sure if he meshes with their new management group there.

Anaheim's new FO has quickly developed a reputation for really tough contract negotiations with their players, having Verbeek as GM with Jeff Solomon as his top AGM and VP of hockey ops.
They might view him as someone they can market along with the younger core (Carlsson, McTavish, Gauthier etc.). Take on the current contract then give him like $11M or something as the face of the franchise kinda thing.

I know Zegras may have the reputation of being similar to players we already have but would be fun to get him, IMO. Guy was an absolute gamer in the WJCs a few years back and came up huge in big games for the US, and I think has the personality and swagger to succeed here. Would love Zellweger too but I think that's impossible.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That's because you read what you want to hear. Comes across to me as he loves it in Toronto and doesn't want to move. That he feels privileged to play in such a market.

No I heard it in the right context. I don’t think he was malicious about it at all. But if you’re Marner you have to read the room, no body wants to hear that from you. Additionally it’s just a statement that is so easy to take out of context why bother say it. He even paused to determine whether he should say it cause even he knew it might be controversial to say. What he said was true but there’s a cleaner way to say it without bringing attention to yourself.

I’m among one of the biggest Marner fans out there but the guy needs serious media training

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
He can change the villain narrative by accepting a trade and being successful elsewhere or sign a sweetheart extension like 7x7 or 8x8
If the Leafs were to offer something like that, he'd just say no, refuse to waive, and play out next season before heading to free agency. It's either sign him to a big contract or tell him he won't be re-signed with the hope he waives. Big risk either way.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He can't sign until after July 1st

Reactions: wingman75

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Still cannot believe Mitch put up that shitty effort in the playoffs. This was his chance to silence the critics and shove it down their throat, all he did was throw gasoline on the bonfire with a 'idgaf' attitude out there.

If he decides to veto a trade request from the team, it'll be a loooooooong year next year. Media will be relentless.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Still cannot believe Mitch put up that shitty effort in the playoffs. This was his chance to silence the critics and shove it down their throat, all he did was throw gasoline on the bonfire with a 'idgaf' attitude out there.

If he decides to veto a trade request from the team, it'll be a loooooooong year next year. Media will be relentless.

I certainly can. He plays the softest game out of any star I have ever seen. He’ll never succeed in the playoffs with any team unless he changes his junior level game.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Easy now, I can see "non-gods" catching on :laugh:
I know... I'm partly kidding. However I do feel that he thinks playing physical and going to dirty areas is below him though. He is too skilled for that, he will steal the puck or break up the pass instead, using his Gretzky like hockey IQ.

Reactions: saffronleaf and IPS

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Anyhow, i think someone spoke to Marner about his attitude towards media. Somewhere around game 3 he suddenly was acting very humble towards the media and much less aggressive and entitled. Dramatic change...but clearly suddenly came to the realization that he might actually be moving after this playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know... I'm partly kidding. However I do feel that he thinks playing physical and going to dirty areas is below him though. He is too skilled for that, he will steal the puck or break up the pass instead, using his Gretzky like hockey IQ.
With the team buying into a physical game this series, Marner's lack of physicality has never looked as bad as it did this series, There is most certainly a case for him thinking laying checks and mucking it up is "below him". Not sure if I'd put it that way, but he has a serious mental block when it comes to laying/taking hits and paying the price.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
With the team buying into a physical game this series, Marner's lack of physicality has never looked as bad as it did this series, There is most certainly a case for him thinking laying checks and mucking it up is "below him".
He can't even rummage up a dirty look towards the opponent. He's strictly on the ice to sauce passes and be the teams quarterback.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Got to laugh at the mental gymnastics of the Marner God disciples.

Cringe worthy to say the least.
ELNzQxD.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad