Player Discussion Marner Talk - Fresh, insightful comments are welcome

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
1)
Do try to post like an adult, there's no need to use the word "moronic", save that nonsense for the schoolyard.

2)
The word "vindictive" is also out of place here. If moving on from a player is best for the team, than that's what you do. It happens all the time, it's nothing personal and I'm pretty sure you know that so what are you on about?
It is to Paul....err, Notsince67.

I'm not sure why this situation is confounding you.

There are certainly reasons why he might elect to stay in Toronto next year even if he was looking to go elsewhere as a free agent.

First and foremost, this is home and by his own admission he really likes it here. That , more than anything else, should "make sense" to you.

Secondly, as a pending UFA who wants to maximize his value, staying in a situation where you're playing with high end offensive players certainly makes a ton of sense for someone who wants to post the best possible numbers that they can in order to maximize their next contract.

Third, he simply may not have any interest in moving right now if he's going to end up moving again as a free agent in 12 months. It's in his best interest, if he's leaving Toronto (and I'm not at all convinced that he is) to wait until the summer, assess the situations of all the teams and then decide where he's heading. Why decide now, a year in advance, only to facilitate a trade for Toronto, which would in turn weaken the team he is heading to? It makes a lot of sense for the Leafs, of course, but I don't see what Marner gets out of it. He weakens the team he is joining and then he forgoes the chance to go to market and maximize his dollar value by signing an extension with the team that acquired him?

Why?
Marner's not the only variable in this equation. If the Leafs don't want him, he's out.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
However the facts remain that NO NHL team has ever advanced beyond the 2nd round of the playoff with multiple double digit salaries/cap hits and with Willy's new raise kicking in Leafs will have 4 players in the top 10 highest cap players in the league all on the same team that has never won more than 5 playoff games in a single season.

Not necessarily double digit salaries, but what percentage of the cap did Chicago have tied up in their big four when they were winning Cups?

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I don't know if it is all that kind to say someone is not interested in playing Game 7 of the playoffs.

That's a pretty big knock on his character if true.

I highly doubt he was uninterested. I do however question his compete level. Not just his though
I remember complaining about Matthews not being physical in the playoffs a few years ago to my wife and pointing out that Little Mitch was out hitting him...what happened? Did his management team warn him about getting injured? He has never been really hurt in the playoffs...so what happened to cause him to look like Kessel in the corners?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
1)
Do try to post like an adult, there's no need to use the word "moronic", save that nonsense for the schoolyard.

It can be perfectly appropriate.

I don't know if it is all that kind to say someone is not interested in playing Game 7 of the playoffs.

That's a pretty big knock on his character if true.

I highly doubt he was uninterested. I do however question his compete level. Not just his though

When the hell did 'compete' become a noun?

Reactions: Jojalu

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't really have a lot to say on this matter. There are threads like this every year, and there never seems to be enough change to satisfy TOR fan's bloodlust. Even the surprise of Dubas out and Treliving in wasn't enough to heal the hurt.

TOR does need to make changes, but who will replace what Marner does for this team? 2 x 6 million dollar players can be playmaking wingers/defensive forwards for the PK?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We can't afford 4 10M forwards period end of story .. we got 2 now long term Matty and Willy .. in my opinion those 2 have most overall playoff style games of da 4 .. can they stay healthy???????????????? .. but they both have speed, skill, strength on puck and shots .. and both have produced in playoffs ..

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Not even about paying him less than 12 or whatever his ask is, he's shown he can't rise up in tough physical games when it matters.

They need to move on.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We can't afford 4 10M forwards period end of story .. we got 2 now long term Matty and Willy .. in my opinion those 2 have most overall playoff style games of da 4 .. can they stay healthy???????????????? .. but they both have speed, skill, strength on puck and shots .. and both have produced in playoffs ..
Mitch is great in regular season but speed and physical nature of playoffs makes him expendable .. some nhl team who needs to make playoffs will be interested this summer (but he becomes useless to trade at TDL) .. JT is bottom line just flat out too slow to play in top 6 anymore .. he is a 3rd liner at best .. and he can't be traded at his CAP hit unless we give up assets so bottom line unless he goes on LTIR for us or retires (he won't) we are stuck with him next year .. we can switch over da captaincy for sure to Matty

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It is to Paul....err, Notsince67.

Marner's not the only variable in this equation. If the Leafs don't want him, he's out.
Apparently it doesn't matter whether the Leafs want him or the fact he is under a no move contract. It only matters that people throw out petulant comments and dictate what the Leafs will do.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What history are you referring to? He's only signed two contracts.
Friedman said yesterday that they expect the ask to be in the Willy / Matthews range.

Not sure whether that's info he has, or he's just speculating, but there's cause to believe he's asking for a range.

The obvious counter-question would be: why wouldn't he ask for one?

Reactions: ACC1224 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leaving it on the table implies he's not going to get that money eventually, which you have no possible way of knowing.

If Mitch Marner walks to free agency next summer and inks a four or five year free agent contact at say, $12.5 million, he would be set up to enter free agency again as a 32 or 33 year old, with a much higher cap to draw from.

At his age, I doubt he will be scrambling for an eight year deal regardless of who he signs with. It would be a dumb move. He's much better off re-entering free agency before he's 35 or 36 because that gives him the bet opportunities either to win a championship or ink a second big-dollar free agent deal.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Marner might be in Tavares shoes in 4-5 years. But hey go ahead and bet on yourself Mitch. I wouldn't if I was him. Willy didn't. Matty did but Mitch is not Matty on the ice. He might no longer be Nylander.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Friedman said yesterday that they expect the ask to be in the Willy / Matthews range.

Not sure whether that's info he has, or he's just speculating, but there's cause to believe he's asking for a range.

The obvious counter-question would be: why wouldn't he ask for one?
I don't doubt that will be the ask.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I still think Marner to Buffalo makes sense.

He wouldn't have to move that far, if it counts for anything he's a big Bills fan (Sabres and Bills have the same owner). He'd get a top line spot and top online minutes there. They are a (slowly) improving team, Buffalo wants a guy in their prime to push the the playoffs now (they had the youngest roster in the league last year.)

As far as Toronto, you get immediate (and possibly FULL) cap space (would not have to retain anything, Buf has room). You can easily get a usuable (upgraded) mid pair D-man from Buf in part of the deal with another 1 or 2 nhl guys. They have several first round pick prospects that haven't broken into the league yet but would look AWFUL good as low-dollar, close to NHL ready, high upside guys for your bottom 2 lines (Savoi, Ostlund, Kulich, Rosen...Buf doesn't have room for all of them)...just seems like it could make sense for both sides.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Friedman said Ferris likes his players going to ufa for negotiating reasons. Marner in his exit interview kind of, in a an indirect way indicated that he's willing to start talking extension asap. Looks like Marner doesn't have interest in playing hard ball this time around, probably given the thin ice hes already on. The Athletic reported there wasn't extension negotiations last season... probably was a Ferris tactic and not so much Tree. But yea Marner seems to be showing cracks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad