Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
IDK whats funnier, Islander fans actually being comfortable giving up 4 first round picks or that they think Marners camp has a good relationship with Lou.

Reactions: Sypher04

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
Doubt Marner is signing an offer sheet.

NYI has Lou whom apparently Marner holds a grudge against for not giving him rookie bonuses

After that you have NJD - Okay, Hughes and Hishier, some appeal. Subban with a potential bum back, Hall maybe leaving. No goalie. Plus...it's New Jersey. I'd rather live in Toronto than New Jersey.

Am I missing anyone else that could OS?

Habs kinda blew their load with Chiarot today and the rest of the cap space will be eaten up by their own RFAs.

Colorado...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs can still be a good team without him

4 firsts

See yah Mitch

Reactions: ashs

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'll roll the dice with four prospects. Offer him what they offered bread. If Isles get him, great. If Toronto matches, they have defense trouble for years.

I don't think Marner is leaving, he's just waiting for another team to force Toronto's hand.

whoops, thought I was in Isles forum, I'll leave it since it's not trolling

Marner is reportedly slighted by the rookie contract negotiation, and being sent back to junior after being drafted, and you think he's going to sign with the General Manager who did those things?

Some New York logic right there

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Colorado...

Certainly possible, think it might create some bad blood after they just worked on a trade together.

Keep in mind Colorado is something of a budget team and should probably lock up Rantanen before they lob our an offer sheet.

27M in cap space

10-11M for Rantanen
Compher and Zadorov need some money, they also likely need to add a back up goalie.

Also would give Toronto plenty of incentive to offer sheet Makar or Byram down the line too.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner is reportedly slighted by the rookie contract negotiation, and being sent back to junior after being drafted, and you think he's going to sign with the General Manager who did those things?

Some New York logic right there
If the money is right, I bet he'd sign in a New York Minute.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've said all along that Marner wouldn't sign an offersheet.

But I kinda want it to happen. Get this situation over it. Either it's somewhat reasonable and we match, or it's not and we walk away.

We then quickly trade for Jason Zucker.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
If you're Colorado, you 1. Need to give Marner an offer big enough that leafs wont match and 2. Will have to pay Rantanen more than that.

They have a lot of cap, but I dont think its happening from Colorado.

NJD seem like a fit.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
New Jersey has been largely speculated as a team that could offer sheet someone.

They have no one major to sign other than Will Butcher, and they have 20M in cap room. They could easily give mitch 12M and fill out their roster.

Honestly, I'd much prefer get an offer sheet, than this drag out to training camp.

I could see New Jersey be able to do it and Columbus. In that case I hope Dubas counters with offersheeting Werenski. Their picks should be very good picks. In New Jersey's case, that could be one of the worst scenario's because their picks could be (with Marner in the line up) not very good for us.

I don't see the other teams with capspace doing it: Winnipeg (Laine, Connor, Pionk), the Avs (I doubt Sakic does something like this), the Sens (yeah right), Flyers (Provorov), Buffalo and the Kings (a slight maybe)

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If it turns out we have no other option and the gun was to my head I would choose the trade route. At least that opens the possibility of getting a 1st rounder or two in the next couple of drafts AND a considerable haul of a player or players that can put us over the top right now. And it had better be a high end defenseman and a middle six scoring forward coming back to make it worthwhile.

It would be something pretty tasty if Marner is going the other way, obviously I don't want any of this **** happening but I think it's time to start spitballing scenarios at this point

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If you're Colorado, you 1. Need to give Marner an offer big enough that leafs wont match and 2. Will have to pay Rantanen more than that.

They have a lot of cap, but I dont think its happening from Colorado.

NJD seem like a fit.
Rantanen will not be paid more than Marner. It makes zero sense.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Saw this. Getting a bit worried.

Meh, if it happens it happens

If it's coming I'd imagine it's coming soon, our cap situation has been set so there's no point in waiting to hand an offersheet out for signing, it's go time if your the team looking to put one in

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wait! For months I was told there would be NO Offer Sheets for Mitch Marner. No chance! What happened?

member 300185

Someone posted a twitter post that said they actually have somewhere around $11.6 left.

Not sure how you get to the 11.6 but that was what it said.
Cap friendly is accurate. Then add in 5.3 for Horton. Falls very short by a couple million for Marner.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
If it came to it and we had a sense Mitch was looking at signing a offer sheet, I really hope Dubas looks at moving him instead of getting the 4 firsts. Obviously our needs would be a top pairing young RHD (Dumba) top 6 winger (Zucker) and a 1st.

To Toronto-
Dumba
Zucker
1st

To Minnesota-
Marner
Ceci

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think your Habs should give Marner an Offer (sheet) :

4 years at $8,118,640.99.

For the cost of a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd, you will get one of the League's best winger for 4 years. Marner wants to be a UFA so he might just accept it.

If he does that and with the Habs he might be the most hated athlete in Toronto ever.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure there's plenty of interest to offer sheet Marner and Point.
My guess is Devils

They seem to have a cute little rivalry going on with Rangers and also Islanders

This would counter Panaren

Shero can offer Marner 5/??? 11? 12.5 Per - whatever and go for it and have Hall replacement

The term would be what gets Marner to UFA so he’s happy and the money high enough to get the Leafs into two guys like Johnsson & ?

Leafs might just say f*** it good riddance brat we will take 4 picks and be over this

nbuubu

Oct 31, 2018
I hope he signs a sheet at this point so the team can get rid of him. He looks like he's in early stage Blue-and-White disease and with the detestable "support team" of his toxic father and agent, I hope he leaves.

And gets righteously booed every time he returns.

God I hope he signs a sheet and acts shocked when Dubas takes the picks. Entitled brat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad