Salary Cap: Marner contract discussion XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
I'm congratulating on how terrible that take was, it was so bad I thought you deserved praise

I see Tavares, and Rielly as better leaders. Matthews can get lazy, he can float and wait for the perfect pass then rip a beauty twice a game. This is not news.. he needs to improve his defensive game.

Reactions: Lauro

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Guys, overall hockey fan here/Habs fan here (I 'm not big on our GM Bergy btw), I'm older so don't have time for I hate Leafs/I hate Bruins, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I'm very intrigued by what's going on this year as I'm sure everyone is with all these elite RFAs.

Can someone tell me what is going on with Marner, you guys have 3 million and change in cap even after getting rid of Marleau, Gardiner, Kadri. Who else is going to be moved to make room for Marner?

Crazy off ice stuff this year.
I think your Habs should give Marner an Offer (sheet) :

4 years at $8,118,640.99.

For the cost of a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd, you will get one of the League's best winger for 4 years. Marner wants to be a UFA so he might just accept it.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Sweet, if one comes in and he signs it we get some resolution

Anything under the 4 1st rounders i'd match, anything over it I'd him go and I wouldn't blame management if they feel the same way, if he ends up leaving that's his decision

Couldn't agree more. Would it suck to lose Mitch, absolutely but we have more then enough firepower upfront and with roughly 10 million in saved cap space plus 4 first round picks, watch out. I have full faith in Dubas to do what's best for this team. The sad part is, I don't even think it's Mitch making the decisions, it's his father and agent calling the shots.

Reactions: Kiwi

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Couldn't agree more. Would it suck to lose Mitch, absolutely but we have more then enough firepower upfront and with roughly 10 million in saved cap space plus 4 first round picks, watch out. I have full faith in Dubas to do what's best for this team. The sad part is, I don't even think it's Mitch making the decisions, it's his father and agent calling the shots.
i wonder, people said the same thing about Nylander.
At the end of the day, these are adults, and own the decisions made about their careers. I suspect it was Willy who called it a day and signed before the Dec 1 drop date. Lets see if Mitch can control his own life or not.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
i wonder, people said the same thing about Nylander.
At the end of the day, these are adults, and own the decisions made about their careers. I suspect it was Willy who called it a day and signed before the Dec 1 drop date. Lets see if Mitch can control his own life or not.

You're right but at the end of the day, Nylander was the one who told his agent to call Dubas and make sure something gets done. I don't see that happening here with Marner considering the comments his father and agent have made. You never really heard any of this from the Nylander camp.

Reactions: Macallan18

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think your Habs should give Marner an Offer (sheet) :

4 years at $8,118,640.99.

For the cost of a 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd, you will get one of the League's best winger for 4 years. Marner wants to be a UFA so he might just accept it.

I don't think he accepts that from the Habs if he wants to set foot in Toronto ever again.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta

Anything under the 4 1st rounders i'd match, anything over it I'd let him go and I wouldn't blame management if they feel the same way, if he ends up leaving that's his decision
I'd treat that tweet anyways as a last gasp by Marner's camp to pretend that offer sheets are really a threat. Teams are using up their cap space and I doubt that many with room left are willing to waste their time on one with Marner. Eventually Marner's camp will have to accept reality.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL insider Renaud Lavoie offers some solutions for the Toronto Maple Leafs, after announcing the signings of both Cody Ceci and Alexander Kerfoot, which leaves the club with roughly $9.5 million left to sign Mitch Marner.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
NHL insider Renaud Lavoie offers some solutions for the Toronto Maple Leafs, after announcing the signings of both Cody Ceci and Alexander Kerfoot, which leaves the club with roughly $9.5 million left to sign Mitch Marner.

When I go on cap friendly and LTIR Horton, then send guys to the minors so I'm at a 22 or 23 man roster (depending on how im feeling) I'm over 10M in cap space

Am I missing something?

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017

Anything under the 4 1st rounders i'd match, anything over it I'd let him go and I wouldn't blame management if they feel the same way, if he ends up leaving that's his decision

I dunno, I'd rather have Marner personally.

Our window is now while JT is in his prime and Rielly/Freddie are signed cheap. Sure we'd have more cap space but for what? No free agents of note are left to sign and cap space for the sake of cap space doesn't do us any good.

We'd have four 1sts but when do you see any return on those? You'd have to think we'd keep the 2020 one since we traded ours, and you could maybe try to trade the others for help now but who in 2019 wants to give top value for picks in 2022 or 2023? You won't get optimal value on those for years. And if you used them all to draft players do we know we'd get anyone as remotely good as Marner? If we do when will that guy be ready and rocking like Marner is today?

Meanwhile we have a hole in our cap space, draft picks that won't pay off for years, and Marner is off scoring 90+ points for some other team while we're trying to win the Cup in the next few years before Matthews is up again.

I get the idea of four 1sts sounds great on paper but you're looking at a long window before you know what any of that gets you as a return. We know what we have *now* with Marner. And our time is now to make some real serious runs at this because the cap problem will never go away and keeping the band together long term is going to be very tough.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yes. Go to cap friendly. Realize the leafs aren’t going into the season with 14f and 8d

Go down to normal roster..... and realize the number is actually 10.5.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
New Jersey has been largely speculated as a team that could offer sheet someone.

They have no one major to sign other than Will Butcher, and they have 20M in cap room. They could easily give mitch 12M and fill out their roster.

Honestly, I'd much prefer get an offer sheet, than this drag out to training camp.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Doubt Marner is signing an offer sheet.

NYI has Lou whom apparently Marner holds a grudge against for not giving him rookie bonuses

After that you have NJD - Okay, Hughes and Hishier, some appeal. Subban with a potential bum back, Hall maybe leaving. No goalie. Plus...it's New Jersey. I'd rather live in Toronto than New Jersey.

Am I missing anyone else that could OS?

Habs kinda blew their load with Chiarot today and the rest of the cap space will be eaten up by their own RFAs.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'll roll the dice with four prospects. Offer him what they offered bread. If Isles get him, great. If Toronto matches, they have defense trouble for years.

I don't think Marner is leaving, he's just waiting for another team to force Toronto's hand.

whoops, thought I was in Isles forum, I'll leave it since it's not trolling

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I dunno, I'd rather have Marner personally.

Our window is now while JT is in his prime and Rielly/Freddie are signed cheap. Sure we'd have more cap space but for what? No free agents of note are left to sign and cap space for the sake of cap space doesn't do us any good.

We'd have four 1sts but when do you see any return on those? You'd have to think we'd keep the 2020 one since we traded ours, and you could maybe try to trade the others for help now but who in 2019 wants to give top value for picks in 2022 or 2023? You won't get optimal value on those for years. And if you used them all to draft players do we know we'd get anyone as remotely good as Marner? If we do when will that guy be ready and rocking like Marner is today?

Meanwhile we have a hole in our cap space, draft picks that won't pay off for years, and Marner is off scoring 90+ points for some other team while we're trying to win the Cup in the next few years before Matthews is up again.

I get the idea of four 1sts sounds great on paper but you're looking at a long window before you know what any of that gets you as a return. We know what we have *now* with Marner. And our time is now to make some real serious runs at this because the cap problem will never go away and keeping the band together long term is going to be very tough.

That's fair enough

I'd rather take the picks, or better yet trade him before an offersheet becomes a reality than giving him a massively inflated RFA AAV and be forced to tie myself in knots every year because my cap situation is untenable

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
The Male Pattern Baldness Monster can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are bald.
The trick is knowing when the battle is lost and to go all in at the right time and shave it all off.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
New Jersey has been largely speculated as a team that could offer sheet someone.

They have no one major to sign other than Will Butcher, and they have 20M in cap room. They could easily give mitch 12M and fill out their roster.

Honestly, I'd much prefer get an offer sheet, than this drag out to training camp.

They have brought in 2 1st overalls in recent years that haven't become RFA'S yet, that's a risky game looking into the future for them

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
That's fair enough

I'd rather take the picks, or better yet trade him before an offersheet becomes a reality than giving him a massively inflated RFA AAV and be forced to tie myself in knots every year because my cap situation is untenable

If it turns out we have no other option and the gun was to my head I would choose the trade route. At least that opens the possibility of getting a 1st rounder or two in the next couple of drafts AND a considerable haul of a player or players that can put us over the top right now. And it had better be a high end defenseman and a middle six scoring forward coming back to make it worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->