Salary Cap: Marner Contract Discussion - Training camp looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Hope if we can't get him by Oct 2, he's moved for assets to help this team. His reported asks are insane and the more than fair deals he's reportedly declined just further frustrate me. I just want this resolved. Rather not have him sit, but if we can't get a fair return and he doesn't come back down to earth...I hope he enjoys his parents couch in Markham

Reactions: mclaren55 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't think the Nylander contract set the Marner talks into motion because it's pretty obvious the Marner camp has angled negotiations to get to this point by refusing to negotiate until the Matthews bar was set. And the Matthews contract was basically determined as the midway point between McDavid and Eichel.

Nylander's contract is a win because they were able to untangle Nylander from Marner and keep his long term deal at less than $7 million AAV.
Exactly. Lots of fables and storytelling in these threads. I'm glad there are those that will continue to explain these facts.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Should Dubas then, mind his own business when other teams sign cheaper contracts to their players? This is getting really confusing.
I think things will (or have started already) to shift towards focusing on team comparables/the teams cap structure rather than outside comparables. At least they have in this negotiation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
it's kind of hard for them to mind their own business when all the high end rfa's are waiting to see how hard Dubas gets bent over to use the Marner deal as a comparable

If I were the Leafs, I would just cease negotiations, let the other RFA's sort themselves out and have Mitch die on his $11 million AAV hill.

It's literally not worth destroying your cap management just to pave the way for Rielly, Andersen and co. to all walk if Marner is on a short term deal.

Or, if we want to get creative, take Marner's money, throw an offer sheet at Rantanen, Point or Tkachuk and work out a side trade and send them back Marner in exchange for a sweetener.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well what's done is done and the guy is getting absolutely carpet bombed on social media and the press.

Just need to see how long hes willing to stand the heat. Going to Europe probably a smart idea to try and ride it out but its pretty inescapable as long as hes got an internet connection

He would have been far better served keeping the leaking to a minimum and not giving the team every opportunity and incentive to absolutely annialate him

His best selling point was the whole hometown boy angle and letting the fan base push the Leafs front office, now a large portion of the fan base want him traded or are demanding the front office dig in against him

Some of the dumbest strategic thinking I've seen

Reactions: Raymondo316 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ideally that sounds like a good approach, the fly in the ointment is if Marner goes unsigned after October 1st then an Offer Sheet becomes more and more difficult to match. Teams can put together offer sheets in November for less then four 1st round picks that would see Marner well compensated and requiring the Leafs to move out salary to match.
Imagine the good old Toronto boy who loves the Leafs doing this? Forcing his way out of town for less money than he was offered by the Leafs.

Great kid.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The fact remains that $6.96 whatever million Nylander makes is chump change in this cap landscape. Guys who signed for $7 million plus in 2018 and beyond include James van Riemsdyk, Kevin Hayes, Anders Lee and Evander Kane, and I don't want any of their UFA years. Nylander's contract isn't a super bargain at Mackinnon and Schiefele levels, but it's a win. It's time whiners wake up and realize this.

The Marner ask is so big and crazy that these two contracts aren't even comparable anymore.
and when Marner signs a "big and crazy" deal you'll be saying it's a win for Dubas just like everyone else who did a complete 180 on what they believed Nylander/Mathews should have signed for

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If I were the Leafs, I would just cease negotiations, let the other RFA's sort themselves out and have Mitch die on his $11 million AAV hill.

It's literally not worth destroying your cap management just to pave the way for Rielly, Andersen and co. to all walk if Marner is on a short term deal.

Or, if we want to get creative, take Marner's money, throw an offer sheet at Rantanen, Point or Tkachuk and work out a side trade and send them back Marner in exchange for a sweetener.
our cap is already destroyed , whether Marner signs for 10 or 11 won't make a difference

Dubas thought he could give out the richest ufa deal in history and then have the kids give discounts , not so shockingly the kids didn't think they should be subsidizing JT's deal .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad