Marner and JT need to voluntarily take a pay cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike4Leafs4ever

Feb 22, 2020
We desperately need defense and scoring from the bottom 6, but we cannot have three $11M forwards and a defense/bottom 6 that can win in the playoffs. They are mutually exclusive. Of the three $11M forwards, Mathews is clearly the most deserving. So if our homeboys Marner and JT are true team players and want to live the dream and win a Stanley Cup with the Maple Leafs, they should voluntarily rip up there current contracts and re-sign with a $2-3M pay cut each. That would give us another $4-6M in CAP space to get a defense. If they did this, Mathews might even kick in $1M by re-negotiation and get us $5-7M in CAP.

I don’t know if there are rules that prevent this, but if there are such rules there are likely creative ways to get around it. I am sure the PA would have a fit, but given the stagnate CAP from the COVID situation, I think it is reasonable.

Reactions: saffronleaf

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If it were possible wed surely ask them to do so but you cant renegotiate contracts. If their was mutual termination it would be sweet if we could sign back a fairer deal instantly but that isnt allowed and wouldnt happen anyway as no player would give up their money no matter what the fans and media thinks.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad