Marner 18/19 expectations, 90+ points doable?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
We must ask ourselves is Marner > Barzal ?

If my boy Matty Barzal could put up 85 points in his rookie season then Marner who is suppose to be BPA and drafted higher should hopefully be able to put up more points than that. If not than draft mistakes were made and statistics will support that.
I don't think you can say draft mistakes were made this early on in these players careers. Plus they are both in different situations and systems.

If you want to be likely Johnny "Hockey" than you have to produce like Johnny "Hockey".
I didn't say he had to be like Johnny, just that his numbers should be similar.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Deployment is everything. When coaches spread out the scoring and ice time like Babs does it makes it incredibly hard for players to reach their potential.

Filip Forsberg for example has the talent to be an 80pt winger, but in Nashville where Laviolette spreads out the ice time like Babs does it's going to be nearly impossible for him to reach that mark without putting out unsustainably high output.

Marner might have 90pts in him but his usage will have to improve to see it happen and I don't see Babs changing his while philosophy any time soon

Reactions: frizzer1

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Marner might have 90pts in him but his usage will have to improve to see it happen and I don't see Babs changing his while philosophy any time soon
This is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight, if Marner had not got off to a bad start this past season and Babcock didn't play him on the 4th line like we saw for a while. He could have easily got at least 80 points or more instead of 69 points, when you factor in how his season changed for the better when he played on that line with Kadri and Marleau.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Can he? Sure. I mean it's not a really big sample size but he was over a ppg for a long stretch of last season.

But it's a tall order. He maybe isn't quite that player yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Barzal's numbers will take a big tumble next season. Book it. Lou is hiring a defensive first coach.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Hopefully he doesn't try to be something he isn't at the start of the season anymore. I'm Pretty sure the rough start last year was because he bulked up, but because of that he actually was playing slower. Evenchually he worked through his issues and found his groove again. Hopefully this summer is about conditioning and skill development.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Way to high expectations on him. He hasn't hit 70 pts yet ffs. 82 points would be a huge breakout year.

He is 170 pounds and expierence is great but it doesn't make you stronger physically. It does mentally.

Has he analyzed enough information on the league to dominate to a 90+ point clip yet at 170 lbs? I really doubt it.

There is no bigger fan of him than me. I actually like watching him play more than Matthews because hebis so much more dynamic.

That said, in three years counting this one, he will be one of the most dangerous players in the league nightly i believe.

He might even have Nhl scoring title calibre strength by then. Marner has more drive than most players i think.

A draft mistake (mess called him) lol

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think a good season for each of the big 3 is ppg (maybe expectations are plus 5 points for Matthews, 5 points less for Nylander as of today). It really depends on minutes played/line combos/UFA signings.

If Matthews hits 45/40 thats a good season.

If Marner hits 25/55 thats a good season.

If Nylander hits 25/50 thats a good season.

Can Marner (or the other 2) do better? Possibly, but it would be more than expected as of today in my opinion.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Never mind that I can't see Barzal having a similar season next year when it comes to his stats.

We as Leaf fans are hoping in this thread Marner can do and get +PPG #'s to match players drafted after him like Barzal and Rantanen have already achieved from the draft class of 2015. Nobody is asking if they can do it because they have already done it.;)

Marner's points record is 69 points in a season so far.So its a valid question to ask if he can get 80+ points in a season.

When you use a top 4 pick in a strong draft your hoping that forward player becomes a PPG NHLer so Marner getting 85 points would be almost what you were expecting when you took him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We as Leaf fans are hoping in this thread Marner can do and get +PPG #'s to match players drafted after him like Barzal and Rantanen have already achieved from the draft class of 2015. Nobody is asking if they can do it because they have already done it.;)

Marner's points record is 69 points in a season so far.

When you use a top 4 pick in a strong draft your hoping that forward player becomes a PPG NHLer so Marner getting 85 points would be almost what you were expecting when you took him.
I'm not trying to diminish what Barzal did this past season, however I think it's fair to say no one saw him getting 85 points and why it will be hard for him to come close to a similar number next season. You talk about comparing Marner to Barzal based on just 1 season, how about instead more people focus on Arizona passing on Marner to select Dylan Strome instead? How many times in the past have the Leafs picked a player in the 1st round and someone else picked right after went onto become a better player. If Toronto had the 3rd pick and selected Strome, Arizona selected Marner 4th overall and both players careers are happening like we see today, the Leafs would get so much more crap for passing on Marner.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->