Speculation: Marner’s Deal

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
F*ck that man. We are going for Cup runs every year for next 6 seasons. We need one at minimum and hopefully multiples.

Have to agree, anything less than one cup would be horrible.

Not that anybody just deserves things..... but we Leaf fans deserve a f***ing cup, we have gone though hell since 67.

And I can't even imagine what fans during the Ballard era felt..

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Could it just be there this class of RFAs just don’t want to sign a deal a year before their ELC expires?
Aho, Laine, Rantanen, McAvoy, Boeser and others didn’t sign anything either and they all play for more exp GMs.
Yes exactly but somehow a competent GM has to sign them a year early no matter what or else they are terrible.
I’m starting to think that the standards of HFboards Toronto are perhaps a tad unrealistic.

Reactions: Menzinger

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Not that anybody just deserves things..... but we Leaf fans deserve a ****ing cup, we have gone though hell since 67.

The Ballard years were horrible and sadly because we had a good team and with relevant hockey people in keys roles we may have been able to win a cup or two.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not that anybody just deserves things..... but we Leaf fans deserve a ****ing cup, we have gone though hell since 67.

I lived through every minute of those years and I'm not ever sure I could describe what I felt, surreal is what it was.

Reactions: diceman934

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I predict 2021 they’ll compete for a Cup.
For me if our D is healthy in the playoffs we have a better then average chance at the cup this season. We have a great forward group and our goalie is among the best.
We just need our D to be healthy as well as some of our key players to play hard and brave. We are as good as any team when we play our game.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I lived through every minute of those years and I'm not ever sure I could describe what I felt, surreal is what it was.
It was a constant gong show. Ballard in that private box in the end of the arena. Then him trading away Lanny to hurt Sittler. Wanting Roger to wear a paper bag on his head after he reportedly fired him as our coach.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For me if our D is healthy in the playoffs we have a better then average chance at the cup this season. We have a great forward group and our goalie is among the best.
We just need our D to be healthy as well as some of our key players to play hard and brave. We are as good as any team when we play our game.

I agree, we're competing for the cup now. I'm guessing that by "competing for the cup" he meant make the finals or something but yeah, we're most definitely competing for the cup now.

It was a constant gong show. Ballard in that private box in the end of the arena. Then him trading away Lanny to hurt Sittler. Wanting Roger to wear a paper bag on his head after he reportedly fired him as our coach.

His girlfriends dog ...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think my "favourite" Ballard quote was when they asked him what he was looking for in his next coach after he again fired one. His answer was "someone who will work for 50 thousand a year". Some people probably thought he was kidding (as that was a low number, even back then) but nope, he went out and hired the eminently under-qualified John Brophy and I believe that his salary was indeed 50 thousand dollars a year.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I know it was easier to make the playoffs back then... but this argument of “it was a worse time to be a leaf fan” during the Ballard years is nonsense. During the worse decade of Ballard, the leafs still made the playoffs half the time, and even won 2-3 playoff series. They finished last overall once, BUT STILL HAD THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK!!!

During the Jfj/Burke/Nonis decade, the leafs made the playoffs once, won zero playoff series, and lost the one series in the most legendary and pathetic game 7 collapse in all nhl world history. Let’s also add that the leafs finished 2nd last and 9th last while their divisional rival held their first round picks.

It’s not even close. Jfj/Burke/Nonis era was far worse.

We seem to romanticize history (even bad history), and that’s what’s happened to the Ballard years. Future generations will call the Jfj/Burke/Nonis era the darkest time of leaf history. And for good reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsred

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

I always said that I'd die without having seen the Leafs and Caps win a Cup. Half way there and if I ever only see one Cup from the Leafs, I'd die a happy man.

Years and years of heartbreak makes you appreciate just how difficult it is to win it all. I prefer to keep the bar low at one Cup and anything beyond that is just pure gravy.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I always said that I'd die without having seen the Leafs and Caps win a Cup. Half way there and if I ever only see one Cup from the Leafs, I'd die a happy man.

Years and years of heartbreak makes you appreciate just how difficult it is to win it all. I prefer to keep the bar low at one Cup and anything beyond that is just pure gravy.
Im a Canucks fan I feel your pain congratulations on Caps half way there !

Reactions: BallardEra

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

It was a strange time for sure, I think I was more mesmerized than angry.
Imagine if the Internet existed then?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It was a strange time for sure, I think I was more mesmerized than angry.
Imagine if the Internet existed then?
I was angry it was a constant soap opera. His relationship with Yolanda and the way it was between her and Ballard’s kids. Hell Bill Ballard punched her in the eye lol. The bunker with him and King Clancy sitting there. He treated the Leafs like a over bearing father treated his kids.

He was a senile idiot.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I was angry it was a constant soap opera. His relationship with Yolanda and the way it was between her and Ballard’s kids. Hell Bill Ballard punched her in the eye lol. The bunker with him and King Clancy sitting there. He treated the Leafs like a over bearing father treated his kids.

He was a senile idiot.

Agree, you still mad? :sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

-I expect the two D are done for the season.
-Marleau and Hainsey are the only two to ever win a playoff series. -That’s a lot to ask, or it used to be when winning the Cup meant something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad