Speculation: Marner’s Deal

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
dubas was, is and will forever be a ****ING MORON for not getting matthews and marner signed last season.
Hindsight is 20/20 so I cant totally blame him but perhaps he should have had an inkling this could happen.
To think we likely would have had AM at 11x8 and MM at 8.5x8.
In the end we will pay over 2 million more aav at far less term for those two, very significant.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wasn’t Lou GM last season? Also i think it was reported that he tried to sign all three in the summer but Nylander holding out slowed the process and both Marner and Matthews balked.

then he should have dealt nylander for a d-man and signed matthews and marner to reasonable contracts;

that would have given him a stud d-man at the back-end; (we didn't need to trade for Muzzin for our 1st rounder); AND we would have decent cap space to make more moves to strengthen the team

dubas' stupidity should not be praised

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hindsight is 20/20 so I cant totally blame him but perhaps he should have had an inkling this could happen.
To think we likely would have had AM at 11x8 and MM at 8.5x8.
In the end we will pay over 2 million more aav at far less term for those two, very significant.

the moment tavares was signed; what did he think would happen to matthews and marner's production?

did not see the point pace that marner scored starting last january and carried kadri/marleau with him?

there is something called hindsight but there is also something called foresight; and when it comes to making strong decisions having foresight is very important; dubas has shown ZERO foresight

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
then he should have dealt nylander for a d-man and signed matthews and marner to reasonable contracts;

that would have given him a stud d-man at the back-end; (we didn't need to trade for Muzzin for our 1st rounder); AND we would have decent cap space to make more moves to strengthen the team

dubas' stupidity should not be praised
I wasn’t praising him, he just wasn’t GM last season and didn’t have much time to get a deal done with these guys. It was reported that he tried but that’s a raw deal for a new GM to come in and sign guys to huge money long term one year prior to their elc expires; Not a normal situation, especially when he was working on the biggest ufa signing in league history.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner is easily the equal of Matthews (this year) so why would anyone expect him to take less? Hopefully, because he is a Toronto boy, he will take a home town discount but $11M is likely the floor.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
The goals factor will play in. I still think he deserves about 10-10.5 and that's what he'll get.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I wasn’t praising him, he just wasn’t GM last season and didn’t have much time to get a deal done with these guys. It was reported that he tried but that’s a raw deal for a new GM to come in and sign guys to huge money long term one year prior to their elc expires; Not a normal situation, especially when he was working on the biggest ufa signing in league history.

the UFA signing was done July 1st; signed and sealed. He has August, September to get things done and he didn't

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wasn’t Lou GM last season? Also i think it was reported that he tried to sign all three in the summer but Nylander holding out slowed the process and both Marner and Matthews balked.
Only Nylander was available to sign when Lou was the GM in the summer. Nylander did not want to sign and it never hurt us as Nylander failed to put up a better season then his first full season. The rest is on Dubas

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The goals factor will play in. I still think he deserves about 10-10.5 and that's what he'll get.

that might be a case but goal scoring can be learned and honed as shot gets better with experience; play making and vision is a god's gift and not every player has it like mitch does.

p.s. matthews has a tunnel vision

Reactions: dsred

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Marner is easily the equal of Matthews (this year) so why would anyone expect him to take less? Hopefully, because he is a Toronto boy, he will take a home town discount but $11M is likely the floor.

If 11m is the actual floor, MM won't be a Leaf, and shouldn't be a Leaf.

The team would have no depth in the bottom 6 and backend, and therefore you will not be a contender for multiple years.

I can't see how in any world we pay Mitch more than 9-9.5m per year.

MM doesn't have to care, he owes us nothing, but he must understand this.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
that might be a case but goal scoring can be learned and honed as shot gets better with experience; play making and vision is a god's gift and not every player has it like mitch does.

p.s. matthews has a tunnel vision

I completely disagree.

Having the type of goal scoring ability Matthews has cannot be learned.

It's why goal scorers are paid more, they're in high demand.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
really ? can't be learned ? why wasn't Mathews drafted at 15 -16 -17 like Mitch and McJesus etc... was it because he wasn't a great goal scorer at that age ? Why did he go play in Europe instead of playing JR here and getting drafted earlier ? was it because he needed to learn to be better ? Figure it out Mathews is a better , younger Phil Kessel he is not Sidney Crosby . We paid way to much because of false hype about what he may become but hasn't because of If - If - If , meanwhile Mitch has just gone out every game every year and done -done - done , he will get paid and if they lose him then Dumbass , Bobscock and Shanny better stay off the effing subway and move to the countryside .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I completely disagree.

Having the type of goal scoring ability Matthews has cannot be learned.

It's why goal scorers are paid more, they're in high demand.
That is just a slogan. Even at Gretzky's peak year of 215 points, he was only 6th in goals in the league. Kurri on his team had the most and there is a reason.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Dubie has taken a softer more team friendly approach to negotiations. But lets not forget he is a rookie GM swimming in deep waters. I think it was expected. And it tends to have a domino effect. So we are going to have a team with stars getting paid lots and then lots of ELC contracts and cheap FAs. The middle guys are getting squeezed. I can't see it going any other way now.
And this is bad.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
really ? can't be learned ? why wasn't Mathews drafted at 15 -16 -17 like Mitch and McJesus etc... was it because he wasn't a great goal scorer at that age ? Why did he go play in Europe instead of playing JR here and getting drafted earlier ? was it because he needed to learn to be better ? Figure it out Mathews is a better , younger Phil Kessel he is not Sidney Crosby . We paid way to much because of false hype about what he may become but hasn't because of If - If - If , meanwhile Mitch has just gone out every game every year and done -done - done , he will get paid and if they lose him then Dumbass , Bobscock and Shanny better stay off the effing subway and move to the countryside .

Not gonna lie, I laughed out loud in my meeting at work :laugh:^^ bolded

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Team Nylander.
under the direction of Willy.

Don't lose sight of reality.

and then Dubas caved to Matthews. 5 years is a joke at that AAV.
Let me just correct 1 thing - Team willy under the direction of Micheal - other than that you are bang on .

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Your right they are regretting it because they paid the center too much money not the winger.

Every line marner plays on the puck goes through him. Just because he is not listed as a center doesn’t mean he doesn’t drive his line.

Does our power play run through nylander or Matthews.
Do Matthews or nylander kill penalties.

Last year in the playoffs when nylander and Matthews disappeared
Marner tried to take the team in his back. Boston coach Cassidy said we keep knocking this little guy on his ass and he keeps getting up and attacks the puck like a hound dog.

Who has the most total points on our team the last three years

Bozak and jvr had career years playing with marner his first year.

Last year kadri and Marleau hadn’t scored in 20 games and marner joined the line and both players went on a scoring tear.

John Tavares is having a career year in goals playing with marner

If nylander and Matthews ever develope the drive that marner has then we will win a cup.

If anyone thinks Mitch will sign for under 10 they should go watch golf.
aaa82c7a835628871ef8a7e0c276dfb8.gif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If we continue to overpay it'll be a less competitive team.

They’ll be fine. Id venture to say they’ll make the playoffs in a minimum of 3 of Matthews’ 5 remaining years after this.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Could it just be there this class of RFAs just don’t want to sign a deal a year before their ELC expires?
Aho, Laine, Rantanen, McAvoy, Boeser and others didn’t sign anything either and they all play for more exp GMs.

Reactions: meng666

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If 11m is the actual floor, MM won't be a Leaf, and shouldn't be a Leaf.

The team would have no depth in the bottom 6 and backend, and therefore you will not be a contender for multiple years.

I can't see how in any world we pay Mitch more than 9-9.5m per year.

MM doesn't have to care, he owes us nothing, but he must understand this.
I can and I will. He will get paid.

We can trade other assets to create cap space and after next season we get a ton of cap space along with the increase in cap as a result of Seattle and the gambling revenue and the new TV contract in the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->