TSN: Marner’s Agent: UPDATE: No contract talks until after the season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Comparables...awards, trophies, health and durability, location and market of the team. And we shouldn't compare JT who was an UFA to Matthews is going to be an RFA. I listen to all these media folks throwing $12 million to $13 million around for Matthews like giving away candy and I just want to puke.
Nobody is getting more than McDavid. The fact that McDavid signed for 12.5mil being the highest paid player by a fair margain, I doubt any other players would come close to that for a while.
That’s pretty much the ceiling for Matthews, but I think he will settle around 10.5-11.5mil.
Kucherov is Marner’s ceiling at 9.5mil but that contract covered 5-6yrs of UFA years. Thus, I doubt Marner will hit 9.5mil, I really think he is definitely getting somewhere between 7.5-8.5mil.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Yeah, but if Mitch is better than McDavid, then Mitch should make more, would be fair.

I find it so funny that this conversation is on ou er side only till next summer, according to Mitch's agent.

Bitch chArmer

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I've wondered if the agents for Nylander, Marner & Matthews ever talk with each other? If so, I wonder if the topic of bridge deals has ever come up. No idea if this has happened. Just makes me curious.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Ill take 4 1sts for Marner if he doesnt take a 8*8 deal. Thats the offer right now, thats the offer dec 1 2019.

All Marner is doing is risking injury right now and lowering his pay day if that happens.

Last edited:

TheMidlifeCrisisGuy

Nov 26, 2018
I don't think Mitch is the type guy to sit out. If he does it'll be for 1-2 weeks tops.

His agent will try to play hard ball with us, but the difference is unlike Willy, Mitch will step in at some point after the negotiations hit a standstill and just end it himself so he can get back on the ice again.

I listened to his agent on a podcast today and he mentioned that Mitch went against his wishes and didn't fight for the highest bonus package on his ELC, but rather took what the team gave him. That's a good sign for me, combine that with the fact he's from here and grew up in a middle class family, I don't think the negotiations will be nearly as difficult as Nylander's.

His agent will be after $10-11m, but I think Mitch will step in after while and take $9m.

I might be wrong, but I don't this contract negotiation will follow the same path as Willy's.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
At the rate Matthews/Marner are playing, why would they sign a contract right now?

I know this whole Nylander negotiation has made us really cynical but let’s use Matthews for example...why would he sign now? Because he wants to play on a great team, in a great city, and if the Leafs offer him let’s say $90 million hed be the 2nd highest paid player in the nhl.

Take Nylanders whole dispute away....Why would Matthews want to sign the above deal right now? Because he and his family are set for life with it and maybe he’s not looking to bleed every last dollar out of the Leafs?

Again. I think maybe I’m a little naive...and just assume these guys want to help the team win along with making a ridiculous amount of money. :laugh:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Maybe if ito young GM thought signing them was a priority he would have got them done in July. Oh well.

Yep a better effort could have been made to get their new contracts in.

Then again it takes two to tango. Marner's camp, without a doubt, would have been looking at what Nylander's camp was going to get as a base for Marner's salary at the time (now not so much) so I doubt they would have signed without Nylander signing. They could have but with Nylander reportedly asking for a high amount, it's logical to presume that Marner's camp would want to see how it played out.

Matthews' probably should have had a new contract pushed harder. But, again, it's logical to say that given his injuries and potential to be at McDavid's level when healthy that they would gamble on him progressing there this season and getting a similar McDavid level deal instead of a slightly lesser one.

Not to mention the Leafs just had signed Tavares and with their loaded roster both parties could see that big seasons await for them with a bigger payday at the end, so they could put their chips in on themselves.

Still would have been nice to see Dubas push a little harder on Marner, at least, because that could possibly pressure Nylander into taking a similar deal. The casual lip service his paid in the off-season isn't looking so good.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hard to say.
There are probably many loopholes to be exploited. He can sign but not be on the 23 man roster due to whatever reason. “AHL” conditioning, emergency leave, whatever.
Until he gets here some kind of paper transaction can be worked out.

Could they not technically send Nylander to the AHL temporarily on a conditioning assignment?
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the paper transactions, including potentially assigning a re-signed Nylander to the AHL for a conditioning stint, would have to be completed before the 5PM deadline on Nylander's eligibility to play this year. Those paper transactions have to be filed at a certain time in order for them to take effect for that day's cap calculations, etc. - If 5PM is the deadline for everything, then it obviously doesn't make any difference; if players have to be assigned to the AHL before 5PM, though, then we'd likely have to see some kind of movement in preparation for the new contract being added to the roster.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the paper transactions, including potentially assigning a re-signed Nylander to the AHL for a conditioning stint, would have to be completed before the 5PM deadline on Nylander's eligibility to play this year. Those paper transactions have to be filed at a certain time in order for them to take effect for that day's cap calculations, etc. - If 5PM is the deadline for everything, then it obviously doesn't make any difference; if players have to be assigned to the AHL before 5PM, though, then we'd likely have to see some kind of movement in preparation for the new contract being added to the roster.

"Par Lindholm, you're a Marlie"

Thats literally all it takes.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
"Par Lindholm, you're a Marlie"

Thats literally all it takes.
Yes, I know - Does anyone know what time that needs to happen? Can they do that literally any time, or does the transaction need to be filed at a certain time to be accepted by the League?

(Also, I could've sworn I had been asking this in the appropriate Nylander thread - My apologies for being off-topic)

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
All the media boneheads parroting agent talking points are out to lunch. I keep hearing Marner is going to be the hardest contract to get done. I think it will actually be the easiest. I heard his agent on a podcast recently and he seems pretty reasonable. Marner being from Toronto understands this market better than anyone and while he will wait till the end of the year he probably just wants to know his true value and is more likely than anyone to take a little discount in my opinion. I’m sure he knows how this market can be pretty brutal for players with a massive salary that handicaps a team moving forward. Then compare his camp to that sleeze ball agent of Nylanders and his ridiculous father.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I've wondered if the agents for Nylander, Marner & Matthews ever talk with each other? If so, I wonder if the topic of bridge deals has ever come up. No idea if this has happened. Just makes me curious.
To what end? Extract the most money,without consideration to a winning plan(leaving enough to surround yourself with competent team mates).
These kids ,if they truly want an honest shot at winning should trust in the guy making the budget.
What I can't grasp is how terrible it must be to earn 70 million dollars(for example) over 7/8 years instead of 75 or 80 million dollars over that same time frame. How do they survive?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Stats: Leafs Cup chances without William Nylander, Patrik...
2. The other wrinkle is that Nylander’s contract sets the floor for his teammates next summer: Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner. Matthews is getting paid regardless, but it’s the latter that’s becoming trickier. Before this season it looked likely that Marner would be closer to Nylander’s number, but that’s becoming more difficult to believe with the way Marner has taken over games this season playing at a 114-point pace. He’s third in the league in scoring now. More astounding is his insane primary assist rate with 25 in 26 games. That’s four more than Mikko Rantanen in second and 10 more than Connor McDavid, Nathan MacKinnon, Nikita Kucherov, Johnny Gaudreau and John Carlson, who are all tied for sixth.

Currently, I’d project Marner to slow down to around 97 points, with a 90-point pace going forward. Of those 97 points, I suspect 54 of those would come off primary assists which would be an absurd amount built mostly from the ones he’s already banked. Since 2007-08 when primary assist data became available (would love to know Joe Thornton’s splits from his 92-assist season in 2006-07), the highest primary assist total in a season is 51 by Sidney Crosby in 2008-09 – Marner is halfway there with 56 games left to play. Beating that would make for a truly special season as a playmaker and it’s certainly doable after his terrific start. Paying him after a season like that will be a colossal headache for the Leafs.

3. My model has become a big fan as a result of Marner’s start, specifically his ability to accrue primary points and now projects just seven players to do so at a higher rate going forward: Connor McDavid, Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews, Mark Scheifele, David Pastrnak, Blake Wheeler and Mikko Rantanen. Not a bad group that’s for sure. So while “best player in the world” or “top five” or “hockey’s LeBron James” are all absurd benchmarks for him via a fever-pitched local media, I personally don’t think top 25 skater (or higher) is that far off moving forward. He’s been compared to Patrick Kane since his draft year and he’s certainly living up to the billing this season.

4. Despite the hype though, there are some warning signs for regression going forward. At 5-on-5 Marner has an alarmingly high on-ice shooting percentage of 13.4 percent, a mark that very likely comes down over the remainder of the season. Only one player was north of 12.5 percent last season and that was Marner’s teammate, Matthews.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Marner and matthews could be tricky. If matthews sign mid season at something like $11 million x 8 and marner puts up more points which he could it makes it tough to tell marner he is getting less.

The other issue is that there is chatter that matthews and marner may want shorter deals which take them to ufa. If they are shaking us down as rfa, as a ufa it may be impossible to keep them all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad