TSN: Marner’s Agent: UPDATE: No contract talks until after the season.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Nylander is also a playmaker. Both of them produce primarily by assists. In fact, Marner is more prone to shoot rather than pass than Nylander is. Willy has been setting up shots at a higher rate than Marner*.

They are both pure playmakers. Judging either solely on goalscoring as some tried to with Nylander is just being willfully obtuse.

* Before this season. I have no idea how these 25 games have changed things.

This actually made me go check the stats, I didn't realize that Nylander had so many assists, seems like more of a shooter (Because he scores a lot of goals with amazing shot).

The biggest difference is that the 2 years leading to this contract negotiation for Nylander he had around 40 assists, where Marner is on pace for way more then that (this year).

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This actually made me go check the stats, I didn't realize that Nylander had so many assists, seems like more of a shooter (Because he scores a lot of goals with amazing shot).

The biggest difference is that the 2 years leading to this contract negotiation for Nylander he had around 40 assists, where Marner is on pace for way more then that (this year).
Nylander is a good playmaker. Nylander has a better shot than Marner. Marner is in another league as a playmaker.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Mathews is better than JT (team comparable) and Eichel so why would he take a lower % of the cap than either of those two signed for ?

Matthews is a RFA and hasn't had the longevity as Tavares. Tavares is no chop live and signed as an UFA...he's also a franchise centre in his own right and have proven it over many more years. Cap % shouldn't be the main determinant factor for salaries.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
I find it hard to believe that Marner and Matthews are going to push so hard to make top dollar...in other words, set a new bar in RFA contracts. The Leafs can sign both to fair deals and make them extremely rich yet still not completely break the bank and kill their cap situation!

Are we thinking both of them are going to hold the Leafs over a barrel and even more than that use offer sheet threats to make even MORE money all the while making it more difficult to sign the depth players around them?

Are we really thinking our 2 guys are THISE 2 guys?

I guess I’m being naive.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Matthews is a RFA and hasn't had the longevity as Tavares. Tavares is no chop live and signed as an UFA...he's also a franchise centre in his own right and have proven it over many more years. Cap % shouldn't be the main determinant factor for salaries.
What should we base his contract on ?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I find it hard to believe that Marner and Matthews are going to push so hard to make top dollar...in other words, set a new bar in RFA contracts. The Leafs can sign both to fair deals and make them extremely rich yet still not completely break the bank and kill their cap situation!

Are we thinking both of them are going to hold the Leafs over a barrel and even more than that use offer sheet threats to make even MORE money all the while making it more difficult to sign the depth players around them?

Are we really thinking our 2 guys are THISE 2 guys?

I guess I’m being naive.
What are these fair deals you believe they should sign ?

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
What are these fair deals you believe they should sign ?

I’m not even talking giant discounts! Is it crazy to think Matthews would take 11-11.5? Marner at 9?

I think the Leafs can keep them all at those numbers and Nylander around 7.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What should we base his contract on ?

Comparables...awards, trophies, health and durability, location and market of the team. And we shouldn't compare JT who was an UFA to Matthews is going to be an RFA. I listen to all these media folks throwing $12 million to $13 million around for Matthews like giving away candy and I just want to puke.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This contract might be $1.5M - $2M more than anticipated.

Trade Connor Brown for the difference and call it a day IMO

TheMidlifeCrisisGuy

Nov 26, 2018
Anyone else starting to think a 5 year bridge deal for Marner is our best option?

We won't be buying up any UFA years so we could keep the AAV around $7m. The contract would take Mitch straight to unrestricted free agency, but there's no chance he walks.

Our best window to win in these next 5-6 years, so keeping Marner's cap hit low for those years and being able to keep more depth pieces is a good idea.

After that we're probably going to have to re-tool for a bit as Tavares slows down, Andersen ages and Kadri declines or is gone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone else starting to think a 5 year bridge deal for Marner is our best option?

We won't be buying up any UFA years so we could keep the AAV around $7m. The contract would take Mitch straight to unrestricted free agency, but there's no chance he walks.

Our best window to win in these next 5-6 years, so keeping Marner's cap hit low for those years and being able to keep more depth pieces is a good idea.

After that we're probably going to have to re-tool for a bit as Tavares slows down, Andersen ages and Kadri declines or is gone.
What's in it for Marner?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think a bridge deal is a real possibility.

But it depends on his ask. If he’s willing to do a deal at say 7.5-8x8 then I think they’d just sign that. If he starts asking for 9-10 million on a longer deal then they’ll potentially go the bridge route.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This contract might be $1.5M - $2M more than anticipated.

Trade Connor Brown for the difference and call it a day IMO

Who would want him at his cap hit? If you actually watch the guy there is nothing desirable at that rate. When he got his 20 goals, sure teams were asking and we should have sold. Babcock probably blocked it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Who would want him at his cap hit? If you actually watch the guy there is nothing desirable at that rate. When he got his 20 goals, sure teams were asking and we should have sold. Babcock probably blocked it.
Actually I was just thinking that myself. He really doesn't have any tangible skills outside of "working hard". Finding guys better than him on ELC's isn't a hard task at all, and that applies to every team in the league. He does not deserve more ES minutes than Ennis or Leivo at this point.

Reactions: thewave

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

marner played a checking role last season against oppositions' top offensive lines for the better half of the season and also performed in the playoffs

this season marner with a better center in a similar role (checking and seeing top QoC); without matthews/nylander in the line up has been lighting up the league with points

marner>>nylander AINEC

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
marner played a checking role last season against oppositions' top offensive lines for the better half of the season and also performed in the playoffs

this season marner with a better center in a similar role (checking and seeing top QoC); without matthews/nylander in the line up has been lighting up the league with points

marner>>nylander AINEC

I agree, I think Marner is better, was just interesting to see that Nylander had such close numbers to Marner.

Marner is just having his big year at the right time (in a contract year) vs Nylander and camp have to try and prove Nylander will do it this year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Marner's agent Darren Ferris was on The Full 60 Podcast with Craig Custance recently.... guy seems like he is going a treat to work with for Dubas and co.

in case you guy's are interested in listening:

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
We’ve seen some top players — a guy like Connor McDavid — go into negotiations and give a little bit of money back to his team from what he might have been able to take off the table for the good of the group. As an agent, how do you balance that mentality of a salary cap sport where players want to be good teammates and want to contribute to Stanley Cup contenders, but also, on your end, want to maximize their dollars?
Ferris
: They do that a lot. Mitch has done that already. Mitch did that in his first contract, even against my wishes. He wanted to help the team out the year he signed his entry-level and he did. It happens and players do it. It works out as long as it is fair and equitable for both. Nobody wants to be treated unfairly. I think that is exactly what will happen here — it’ll be fair and equitable for both.
I think a deal will be done. I think Kyle is doing a good job in Toronto, and Pridham and company. They will do what is right for the Leafs and the player. I think it is a good environment there.

Mitch Marner's agent, Darren Ferris, on contract negotiations: "We’ve had some very productive discussions so far... If nothing is done by the start of the season, then we’ll wait until next summer and we’ll get back at it again" | Maple Leafs Hotstove

member 157595

I’m not even talking giant discounts! Is it crazy to think Matthews would take 11-11.5? Marner at 9?

I think the Leafs can keep them all at those numbers and Nylander around 7.

I'd like to get Marner at 8 years, $72M. I'd prefer to have him at a lower cap hit but I need to be realistic. I don't think he signs for 8 years but I'd very much love to be wrong.

Matthews...I'm simply not interested in any term OTHER than 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad