The Star: Marlies stars off to Leafs camp

tokenmetalhead*

Apparently he's happy in the AHL and wants to stay and Leafs don't have plans to sign him. That's what Bob McKenzie said a few days ago.

I don't buy that for a second. Maybe happy to stay there for the rest of this season (possibly next). But if he's good enough to play in the NHL and someone (us) wants to take him on? He'd be foolish not to, if only for the fact he'd make many times the amount of money he makes in the AHL.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
I don't buy that for a second. Maybe happy to stay there for the rest of this season (possibly next). But if he's good enough to play in the NHL and someone (us) wants to take him on? He'd be foolish not to, if only for the fact he'd make many times the amount of money he makes in the AHL.

Nobody said he never wanted to play in the NHL again. If he wanted and NHL contract I'm sure many teams (Leafs included) would be willing to offer one.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

The guy quit NHL hockey. Thats why he left Tampa. If he only cared about money he wouldnt have done that.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
3. Kadri needs to have a strong camp, he's turning 23 its time he proves himself as a top 6 forward.

Kadri just turned 22 in october...

I hope he makes the team and doesn't get traded. I think he's certainly capable of making it, he's shown that in his call ups and this year in the AHL. But I don't know that there is room for him, especially top 6. Kessel and lupul are pretty much locks for the top line, at least for the start of the season. I can see the kulie-grabo-mac line again, although there is a fair chance that one of kulie/mac will be on the third line. That leaves you with JVR and frattin. JVR is certainly going to be top 6, I can see frattin second/third line. I just don't know where Kadri will fit. I think he will flourish second line with grabo and kulie/mac/frattin and he would be greatest there. Maybe even top line centre (maybe).

I am a huge kadri fan, but all I'm saying is if he's not top 6 right away, or even if he doesn't make the team out of camp, doesn't mean it's neccesarily because of his play. They might just not have room for him. Either way, he will definitely be with the Leafs this season, either out of camp (hopefully) or by callup. And this by no means means he's taken a step back or anything. Ofc he could also be traded, in which case I don't know where he'd be :laugh:

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-MacA
Steckel-McClement-Frattin
(Lombardi) (Brown)

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gards-Komi
Liles-Holzer
(Kostka)

Reimer
Scrivens

That's 23. Franson hasn't been signed so I didn't include him. If Mike f-ing Brown or Lombardi plays instead of Nazem Kadri then someone just kill me now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-MacA
(Lombardi) (Brown)

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gards-Komi
Liles-Holzer
(Kostka)

Reimer
Scrivens

That's 23. Franson hasn't been signed so I didn't include him. If Mike f-ing Brown or Lombardi plays instead of Nazem Kadri then someone just kill me now.

I think this is a solid team. If they get some above average goaltending, be it from Reims or whoever, they should make the playoffs. Obviously, the lack of a #1 C troubles me greatly as well, but I still think we should be OK if we get some good non-sieve like goaltending. Things are not so bad as other people paint it.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-MacA
(Lombardi) (Brown)

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gards-Komi
Liles-Holzer
(Kostka)

Reimer
Scrivens

I'd take Mike Brown over Kadri .

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I imagine Ranger will get a contract offer from the Leafs as soon as they are able to do it.

I dunno, we already have Phaneuf/Gunnar/Liles/Gardiner/Komi locked in, and I could have sworn I saw Carlo Colivaco (sp?) in a leafs uniform doing an interview for city tv a few days ago, if he's here that makes him #6 and I think Holzer has a one year contract too. I really at this point don't see a need for him to be signed here, too many guys who are far superior to Ranger exist on this team, he's not someone we need right now.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Mike brown is a forth line enforcer. i don't think him and kadri would be competing for the same spot.

Kadri will be competing for any spot. Brown can be used on the third line and PK. He's a much better skater than Kadri.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-MacA
(Lombardi) (Brown)

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gards-Komi
Liles-Holzer
(Kostka)

Reimer
Scrivens

I'd take Kadri over Connolly, MacA, and Lombardi (players he should be competing with).... Now that Carlyle is the head-coach I see no reason Kadri should be left in the minors, I think he is ready and I hope to see him make it to the NHL and prove all the nay-sayers.... been defending him for a while now.

Lupul/JVR - Bozak - Kessel
JVR/Lupul - Grabo - Kadri
Kulemin - McClement - Connolly/Frattin
Komarov - Steckel - Brown

(Gives us the best possible defensive line for our 3rd line along with a fourth line that can provide grit, forecheck, etc.)

First line: If defense is still bad and the offense isn't cutting it, switch Lupul with JVR so there's a little more defense and size.

As for defense, it's gonna be bad this year IMO. It might look improved under Carlyle, but our defense will be shaky this year (Very promising future though).

I hope we can trade Connolly, Lombardi (I think he could bounce back, but not good enough for our top 6), MacA, etc. for picks and I think our team will look a lot better in the next two years.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I don't think Browns an "enforcer" at all! Browns a 4th line energy guy who hits hard, chips in on the PK, sacrifices his body to block a shot and is reliable in his own end. I'm with you though Kadri and Brown aren't rivals, either Kadri makes it as a top 6 or he goes home, Kadri's useless in a bottom 6 role. Now Kadri/Frattin that is where the competion will be at training camp.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Fraser fits Coach Carlyle's MO. Would not be surprised if he makes the team.

I agree. Both Fraser and Holzer should thrive in Carlyle's system. Big, strong defensive defensemen are exactly what this team needs on the backend. Franson is the guy I'm worried about here. Plenty of talent offensively, but he doesn't use his size in a way that would make Carlyle happy. IIRC, he saw a lot of time in the pressbox when Randy took over.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Komisarek
Fraser-Holzer
Franson

Injured: Gardiner

PS. I hate Komisarek in the lineup. I hope Holzer pushes him out of that spot in camp.

BayStBully

Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
I dunno, we already have Phaneuf/Gunnar/Liles/Gardiner/Komi locked in, and I could have sworn I saw Carlo Colivaco (sp?) in a leafs uniform doing an interview for city tv a few days ago, if he's here that makes him #6 and I think Holzer has a one year contract too. I really at this point don't see a need for him to be signed here, too many guys who are far superior to Ranger exist on this team, he's not someone we need right now.

Lol.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-Connolly-MacA
(Lombardi) (Brown)

Gunnar-Phaneuf
Gards-Komi
Liles-Holzer
(Kostka)

Reimer
Scrivens

Probably the most realistic roster I've seen to date.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Maybe some people like to think about more then just money?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Kadri needs to stay with the big club this whole season. I think he has made some strides this year with the Marlies and should learn on the fly in the big leagues. I look at how Buffalo, for example, has stuck by Tyler Ennis despite his small stature and I wonder why the Leafs haven't just let him play on and develop.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Wait...so is Komarov not coming back?

And if someone like Rielly doesn't make the Leafs roster, does he get a chance to go to the Marlies or are they going to send him back to Manitoba?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad