http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/10/marlies-stars-off-to-leafs-camp

among who are present are
goaltender Ben Scrivens,
defencemen Jake Gardiner,
Mike Kostka,
Korbinian Holzer and
Mark Fraser were joined by forwards
Matt Frattin and Nazem Kadri
. They are expected to work out either alone on the Marlie pad Thursday or with the Leaf and NHLers who’ve been on the parent team’s rink next door since the lockout ended.

joe colborne is not there

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Colborne making the team was unlikely to start the season seeing as everyone healthy. With a shortened camp I'm not surprised that he wasn't invited, if it was a regular camp he would be there no question.

The battle on defense at camp should be good.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
goaltender Ben Scrivens,
Mike Kostka,
Korbinian Holzer and

1. I think Scrivens makes it as the backup (barring a potential Luongo trade), currently he is the most experienced in our system to backup Riemer.

2. Holzer IMO I think has a good chance at cracking the blueline and sticking. Right now Phaneuf/Gunnar/Komi are the only locks, Gardiner I believe is still injured but even if he comes back there is still two open spots on the blueline.

3. Kadri needs to have a strong camp, he's turning 23 its time he proves himself as a top 6 forward.

4. I think Fratiin makes the team, he fits into the teams mold of being fast/tough/skilled.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Colborne has been brutal for a long time now. I don't know how much damage that wrist injury did to him, because he's been sucking for a while now.

I hope RC finds spots for Frattin and Kadri both. Especially Kadri. Just play him out and see what we have.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
You mean he's on a "one way" contract?

He was right about the AHL contract(means he's signed on with the Marlies and can't play in the NHL), but he was wrong about not being able to participate in camp. Ranger can try-out with any team in the NHL if they ask and if he wants to, if they like what they see, can offer him an NHL contract.

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
He was right about the AHL contract(means he's signed on with the Marlies and can't play in the NHL), but he was wrong about not being able to participate in camp. Ranger can try-out with any team in the NHL if they ask and if he wants to and if they like what they see, can offer him an NHL contract.

Is that how it actually works with the shortened training camp? I can't say I've heard anything concerning this.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Is that how it actually works with the shortened training camp? I can't say I've heard anything concerning this.

That's how it would work with any camp. Since he doesn't belong to the Leafs he can be offered a contract or try-out by any NHL team. The Leafs could offer him a try-out if they wanted.

I think a reason for him not being there though is because he doesn't want to be at the moment. Chuckwoods stated this recently(not directly what he said, but along those lines).

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
goaltender Ben Scrivens,
Mike Kostka,
Korbinian Holzer and

1. I think Scrivens makes it as the backup (barring a potential Luongo trade), currently he is the most experienced in our system to backup Riemer.

2. Holzer IMO I think has a good chance at cracking the blueline and sticking. Right now Phaneuf/Gunnar/Komi are the only locks, Gardiner I believe is still injured but even if he comes back there is still two open spots on the blueline.

3. Kadri needs to have a strong camp, he's turning 23 its time he proves himself as a top 6 forward.

4. I think Fratiin makes the team, he fits into the teams mold of being fast/tough/skilled.

I agree Holzer likely sticks, but where did Liles go?? And how are there 2 open spots? When Franson signs and Gards get healthy, we have one opening and thats the 7th spot.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Could've sworn I heard a few days ago Ranger was not interested in playing in the NHL this year and wanted to finish off the year in the AHL. Can't find the source though.

I think when he is ready for the NHL though it'll be with us.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
goaltender Ben Scrivens,
Mike Kostka,
Korbinian Holzer and

Add Liles too.

If Gardiner is ready that leaves one spot for Holzer, Kostka or Rielly.

Given the format of our D and the style Carlyle likes I see Holzer winning it (unless Rielly knocks everyones socks off).

Last edited:

JMcLeaf

I imagine Ranger will get a contract offer from the Leafs as soon as they are able to do it.

Apparently he's happy in the AHL and wants to stay and Leafs don't have plans to sign him. That's what Bob McKenzie said a few days ago.

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
Come on, that's the Sun, not the Star. Have some respect for a slightly less ridiculous news organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad