Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I have no idea why people always associate big hits or fighting to being physical.

These guys don't need to fight or lay out big hits to be an absolute handful. They can lay out big hits to separate guys from pucks, but with their bodies, they often don't need to. They establish their presence in front of the net or along the boards. If they need to scrum with a guy, they will.

That is all the physicality they need.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I haven't watched many Marlies games so far, but can someone who has, tell me how Bracco is playing?

Clearly, his offense hasn't taken a step forward, but is that because he's is playing a better 200ft game?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I haven't watched many Marlies games so far, but can someone who has, tell me how Bracco is playing?

Clearly, his offense hasn't taken a step forward, but is that because he's is playing a better 200ft game?

He's more committed to the defensive zone, but he's not exactly "great" at it. Still, attitude is a good first step to improvement.

As for the lack of offense, the Marlies have had some injuries down the middle, so he's been kind of rotating through centers... And usually they aren't great ones. I don't think he gets Engvall often, so he's usually getting either Elynuik, Gaudet, MacMaster, etc. That is probably the biggest factor, but when he's played with Agostino and Brooks, he's been very good at both ES and of course PP.

I think he's been better this year, and his production is not as "empty" as people claimed it to be last year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's more committed to the defensive zone, but he's not exactly "great" at it. Still, attitude is a good first step to improvement.

As for the lack of offense, the Marlies have had some injuries down the middle, so he's been kind of rotating through centers... And usually they aren't great ones. I don't think he gets Engvall often, so he's usually getting either Elynuik, Gaudet, MacMaster, etc. That is probably the biggest factor, but when he's played with Agostino and Brooks, he's been very good at both ES and of course PP.

I think he's been better this year, and his production is not as "empty" as people claimed it to be last year.

Thanks

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I hope the Leafs are putting out feelers for Julius Nattinen. He had a tough go of it in North America to the point where Anaheim terminated his contract, but he's leading Liiga in goals (16 in 19 games) and points (28) right now as a 22 year old (only one year older than Puljujarvi).

He's also known to be more of a checking line center, so the increase in production is promising. I do not know if he wants to make the NHL right away, and given his inconsistency in NA the first time around he probably should get at least one year in the AHL before making the jump, but he could be a good center option to bridge the gap in depth between Brooks and SDA/Stotts, and to provide the type of 4th line option which is tough to play against, defensively responsible, capable of playing PK, and can put up some points.

When he was first drafted, there were comparisons to Mikko Koivu. I doubt he ever reaches those heights, but high end two-way 3C is well within reach for him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Some high praise by Keefe on Lilly, but anyone who has watched since Feb, this is not a surprise. He's been their best defenceman during that time frame.
Him saying Schmaltz and Harpur have struggled at times matches what I've seen as well.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Some high praise by Keefe on Lilly, but anyone who has watched since Feb, this is not a surprise. He's been their best defenceman during that time frame.
Him saying Schmaltz and Harpur have struggled at times matches what I've seen as well.

That’s some high praise from Keefe, but nothing new to those of us that watch.

If Wheeler’s first tweet of the day reads correctly, Marchment is wearing a non-contact jersey, but Liljegren and Aberg are wearing normal/contact jerseys? If that’s the case, that is great news. I might still hold Liljegren out one more game though, just because of what happened last time he had a lower body injury. Hopefully this staff doesn’t clear him for games until he’s truly 100% healthy this time.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That’s some high praise from Keefe, but nothing new to those of us that watch.

If Wheeler’s first tweet of the day reads correctly, Marchment is wearing a non-contact jersey, but Liljegren and Aberg are wearing normal/contact jerseys? If that’s the case, that is great news. I might still hold Liljegren out one more game though, just because of what happened last time he had a lower body injury. Hopefully this staff doesn’t clear him for games until he’s truly 100% healthy this time.
Even Wheeler who has been a critic of Lilly the last year or so, says he's been amazing, and has been a borderline dominant defensive player.
I'm not sure I agree with Keefe on the increased PP time though. He's still on the 2nd PP and as we know, Keefe doesn't split the 2 minutes like Babcock does, but the shot comment is accurate. In practice today, Lilly was on the 2nd pairing so have to assume he's in tomorrow, plus with Sandin probably out, he gets a chance on the 1st PP unit.
Marlies are facing a heavy forechecking team tomorrow in the Rocket, so I would have kept Lilly out. It's not the best game to get him back in, but I'm going to trust the medical staff on this one, plus this is his 4th skate, so he should be fine.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Pretty much what I've been seeing too. Harpur and Schmaltz have struggled but they have also been very good too. It's mostly a consistency thing with them. Lindgren too, at a much lesser degree. He could be a guy who is NHL ready by next year, even if it's a mid-season call up. The others, like Kivihalme and Gravel, have mostly just been disappointing. Kivihalme should continue to be given opportunities, especially over Gravel, but I think Harpur has been better overall.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pretty much what I've been seeing too. Harpur and Schmaltz have struggled but they have also been very good too. It's mostly a consistency thing with them. Lindgren too, at a much lesser degree. He could be a guy who is NHL ready by next year, even if it's a mid-season call up. The others, like Kivihalme and Gravel, have mostly just been disappointing. Kivihalme should continue to be given opportunities, especially over Gravel, but I think Harpur has been better overall.
I don't think Harpur has been too bad either, but he's had a few struggles. Schmaltz has been worse for sure.

Reactions: Magic Man

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Can't wait until we have Sandin and Lilly on the Leafs with Dermott and Rielly. Having a blueline next year possibly looking like this would be crazy.

Rielly-Hopefully a legit 2 way defender from a trade
Muzzin-Dermott
Sandin-Lilly

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Even Wheeler who has been a critic of Lilly the last year or so, says he's been amazing, and has been a borderline dominant defensive player.
I'm not sure I agree with Keefe on the increased PP time though. He's still on the 2nd PP and as we know, Keefe doesn't split the 2 minutes like Babcock does, but the shot comment is accurate. In practice today, Lilly was on the 2nd pairing so have to assume he's in tomorrow, plus with Sandin probably out, he gets a chance on the 1st PP unit.
Marlies are facing a heavy forechecking team tomorrow in the Rocket, so I would have kept Lilly out. It's not the best game to get him back in, but I'm going to trust the medical staff on this one, plus this is his 4th skate, so he should be fine.

First game off an injury, not a great time to evaluate Liljegren on the top PP, but cool for him if it happens. He already showed he could handle the role the first couple games of the year when Sandin was out.

Forgot it was against the Rocket, yeah holding him out another game to get his legs back under him would be the safe move.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
First game off an injury, not a great time to evaluate Liljegren on the top PP, but cool for him if it happens. He already showed he could handle the role the first couple games of the year when Sandin was out.

Forgot it was against the Rocket, yeah holding him out another game to get his legs back under him would be the safe move.
I wasn't really saying to evaluate him. I was talking in general. I would also not have him play tomorrow, but maybe Keefe will ease him in.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Another reason I want Keefe to take over the Leafs. He won't be afraid to play Sandin and Liljegren minutes at the NHL level. Babcock gave me the impression that he didn't like Liljegren right from the start of camp.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Is there a site or twitter feed that tracks corsi stats for ahl players? I remember someone posted someone's twitter which showed the corsi stats of the marlies after each game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad