Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nice start for Engval and Korshkov. Woll with a shutout I was not expecting. Yeah its early and it probably means nothing but maybe it does. Some cheap homegrown replacements at bottom 6 and backup. A lot of people were slagging Korsh for his AHL stint last year but he doesn't seem over matched right now.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Another assist for Kral
Anyone familiar with the WHL, for an overage defenceman, what would be considered a good season? I think the WHL has less scoring then the OHL, so maybe not realistic to expect Hollowell production. Is PPG fine? He's also on the 2nd pair.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Another assist for Kral
Anyone familiar with the WHL, for an overage defenceman, what would be considered a good season? I think the WHL has less scoring then the OHL, so maybe not realistic to expect Hollowell production. Is PPG fine? He's also on the 2nd pair.
Well being on the 3nd pair isn't good for an OA, PPG would be nice. Don't see him hitting Hollowell numbers, Mac is just a better player.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Another assist for Kral

I wouldn't worry about him being on the 2nd pairing. He's easily the 2nd best guy on that defense behind Ty Smith, it's just they want to give Ty Smith a more stay at home guy (Noah King) than another puck moving type like Kral... Kral does play with another puck mover type guy in Bobby Russell, but Kral can lead that pairing rather than playing second fiddle to Smith.

Kral is going to need at least a PPG (or at least very close) to one. He's also going to need to be quite reliable defensively.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Well being on the 3nd pair isn't good for an OA, PPG would be nice. Don't see him hitting Hollowell numbers, Mac is just a better player.
Thanks.
I agree about Hollowell, all though only reason Kral is on the 2nd pair is because of Smith.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I wouldn't worry about him being on the 2nd pairing. He's easily the 2nd best guy on that defense behind Ty Smith, it's just they want to give Ty Smith a more stay at home guy (Noah King) than another puck moving type like Kral... Kral does play with another puck mover type guy in Bobby Russell, but Kral can lead that pairing rather than playing second fiddle to Smith.

Kral is going to need at least a PPG (or at least very close) to one. He's also going to need to be quite reliable defensively.
Yup, if Smith wasn't there, Kral would be on the 1st pairing.
I figured it would be PPG.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Another assist for Kral
Dawson Davidson hit 75 points in 68 games last year in the WHL as an overager, and is now playing Usports. Brenden Kichton put up 85 in 71. Here's a long list of what guys did from 2004 or so until now as Overager Defencemen in the WHL.

Elite Prospects - WHL Stats All-time season

It's not a list that inspires any confidence in Kral's likelihood of becoming a productive NHLer. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't get an ELC. If they were optimistic on his chances, they probably would have found him an AHL spot or at worst a spot with the Growlers. The Jake Muzzin's and Jared Spurgeon's of the world tend to be long and far apart.

horner

May 22, 2007
Korshkov scores on a breakaway shorthanded. 4-0
3rd goal of the season
Mmmmm people jumping on this player last yr.

Iv
Korshkov scores on a breakaway shorthanded. 4-0
3rd goal of the season
From the first time I watched him in the Marlies playoffs last, I though we have a player here.
More to do with his physical presence and not being on North American ice.

Some people on this sight need to give a player time .

Really looking forward to watching this kid grow.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So I know we really don’t talk to much about the Marlies as a whole but there is a lot of positive things happening with our farm team:

• 3-0
  • Woll posts first Professional shut out
  • Engvall looks impressive as a C (Big Body)
  • Korskov is a scoring machine (Big boy with mean streak)
  • Liljegren looks like kid who should be on our third pairing next year
  • Keefe continues to impress
I get it that it’s still early but if one or two of these kids can make the jump we are going to be in great shape.

Reactions: Kurtz

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Engvall seems to find his niche since moving to centre.
Engvall, Korshov, Liljegren, I would think are expected to be full time Leafs next year.
I know it's almost a year away, but that's how NHL teams getting better. Having cheap, productive players allow a team to trade a player for cap reasons to fill a need. Maybe Kapanen and his 3.2m cap hit is traded for Dman.

I wasn't sure if Timashov and his game could transform into the NHL. But gotta say he has the confidence to hold onto the puck and make a play even at the NHL level (I know it's early in the season)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So I know we really don’t talk to much about the Marlies as a whole but there is a lot of positive things happening with our farm team:

• 3-0
  • Woll posts first Professional shut out
  • Engvall looks impressive as a C (Big Body)
  • Korskov is a scoring machine (Big boy with mean streak)
  • Liljegren looks like kid who should be on our third pairing next year
  • Keefe continues to impress
I get it that it’s still early but if one or two of these kids can make the jump we are going to be in great shape.

I personally think what happens is we drop sandin down after his 9 games.

Then bring Lilly up around the deadline.

Let him play 25 a night on the marlies for about 50 games. Then bring him up.

We need as long of ELC as we can get. Sandin isn’t doing much 10 min on 3rd pair here.

It’s insane to have potentially

Rielly
Sandin
Lily
All
Expire at the exact same time

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I know the Russian NT prefers to take players that stay home but is there any chance SDA makes the WJHC team if he keeps this up?

cc: @Caser
Extremely unlikely. I don't think he's ever played for Russia in junior competitions of any kind, and as you said they prefer players that are actually playing in Russia 9 times out of 10. He would have to put up crazy nimbers for them to consider it.

Was hoping Kizimov could make a push this year too but he got off to a horrible start.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I personally think what happens is we drop sandin down after his 9 games.

Then bring Lilly up around the deadline.

Let him play 25 a night on the marlies for about 50 games. Then bring him up.

We need as long of ELC as we can get. Sandin isn’t doing much 10 min on 3rd pair here.

It’s insane to have potentially

Rielly
Sandin
Lily
All
Expire at the exact same time

This is crazy talk, to say Sandin isn't doing much playing 10 minutes a night. He's played in six NHL games, if he had been a Marlie, he would have played in three game. Now you're right, the Leafs have a decision after nine games. But the point will be, is Sandin better player than his replacement?
And no, it isn't insane to have those three players have expiring contracts at the same time. Gee the having a roster of 23 you're going to have a large number of contracts expiring at the same time. And Sandin and Liljegren will still be under Leafs NHL control. Gee and depending on other players contracts, you might see other RFAs up at the same time.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is crazy talk, to say Sandin isn't doing much playing 10 minutes a night. He's played in six NHL games, if he had been a Marlie, he would have played in three game. Now you're right, the Leafs have a decision after nine games. But the point will be, is Sandin better player than his replacement?
And no, it isn't insane to have those three players have expiring contracts at the same time. Gee the having a roster of 23 you're going to have a large number of contracts expiring at the same time. And Sandin and Liljegren will still be under Leafs NHL control. Gee and depending on other players contracts, you might see other RFAs up at the same time.

And now you can’t give dermott a 2 year bridge?

Dermott comes back and fills sandins spot.

Having sandin as the 6th d doesn’t help him now or us in the future.

We signed all these players for a reason. Or have lily come up

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
And now you can’t give dermott a 2 year bridge?

Dermott comes back and fills sandins spot.

Having sandin as the 6th d doesn’t help him now or us in the future.

We signed all these players for a reason. Or have lily come up

There's not much difference in ice time between the 5th or 6th D.

Sandin is better off learning at the highest level.

Reactions: hockeynorth

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Engvall seems to find his niche since moving to centre.
Engvall, Korshov, Liljegren, I would think are expected to be full time Leafs next year.
I know it's almost a year away, but that's how NHL teams getting better. Having cheap, productive players allow a team to trade a player for cap reasons to fill a need. Maybe Kapanen and his 3.2m cap hit is traded for Dman.

I wasn't sure if Timashov and his game could transform into the NHL. But gotta say he has the confidence to hold onto the puck and make a play even at the NHL level (I know it's early in the season)

They need to trade one of Kap or AJ to free up cap space for another D or to re-sign a D like Muzzin and right now I'm thinking Kappy gets dealt.

He can be replaced by Korshkov and Mikheyev.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
They need to trade one of Kap or AJ to free up cap space for another D or to re-sign a D like Muzzin and right now I'm thinking Kappy gets dealt.

He can be replaced by Korshkov and Mikheyev.

I think you shouldn’t judge based on a small sample size. Kapanen is a more versatile player for us, and an ideal 3rd line RW.

Moore and Mikheyev can adequately replace Johnsson IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad