Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Sandin in for Harpur, Schmaltz in for Rubins. Petan and Clune also in.
Estephan and Read out.
Kask to start.
Good changes by Keefe. Rubins was terrible yesterday, and Clune can bring some energy to the team.

Reactions: Eye Test

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lilly hurt in the 1st period and didn't return. This would be a huge setback after a great start.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
abbruzzese 2nd assist. Watching harvard game while leafs have intermission. tic-tac-toe assist to pinching defenseman. Harvard is either really good or really structured. Good situation for Abbruzzesse.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Abramov with 4 points today. 2 goals and 2 assists.
23 points in 21 games on a terrible team.
It's been all or nothing for him this year too.

12 games with out a point so all 23 points have come in just 9 different games including 3, 4 point games.

If he can get traded to a better team it will be interesting to see if he can get a bit more consistent.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Some good news on Lilly.
Keefe in his post game "At this stage, it's not looking as quite as serious as it looked in terms of not able to put any weight on it now. He seems like he's able to put some weight on it, but he's obviously in no shape of being able to come back in the game. We'll get back to Toronto, and have a chance to get him looked at. Unfortunate hit, you hate to see those kind of hits, both some knee on knee contact there, some contact with his head as well, so it's kind of a double whammy in terms of things you don't want to see. unfortunate that it doesn't get called. The league will take a look at it and do what they need to do, but we're more concerned about Lilly of course, and want him back healthy as soon as possible.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Some good news on Lilly.
Keefe in his post game "At this stage, it's not looking as quite as serious as it looked in terms of not able to put any weight on it now. He seems like he's able to put some weight on it, but he's obviously in no shape of being able to come back in the game. We'll get back to Toronto, and have a chance to get him looked at. Unfortunate hit, you hate to see those kind of hits, both some knee on knee contact there, some contact with his head as well, so it's kind of a double whammy in terms of things you don't want to see. unfortunate that it doesn't get called. The league will take a look at it and do what they need to do, but we're more concerned about Lilly of course, and want him back healthy as soon as possible.

FFS I have tickets on Nov30 I hope Liljegren is back on the ice before then

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Some good news on Lilly.

Having watched it, there are several possibilities.

If it’s not serious, it may just have been a charlie horse, or a bone bruise. He might be out a week or so, if that’s the case.

Most serious would be a ligament tear from the knee on knee. I can’t tell if that moron’s knee hit Liljegren above or below the knee. If above, the worst case is an ACL tear, which means Liljegren is done for the year. If below the knee, most likely worst case scenario is a PCL tear, which is bad but not as serious.

Hopefully we get some news on this soon, instead of just radio silence for weeks on end.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hopefully people remember Liljegren’s terrific play before this injury. 8 points in 12 games playing largely on the second PP unit, and playing all those games without Brooks/Petan which Sandin conveniently skipped.

Then he gets hurt early in the first period of his next game again on a predatory hit, just like last year. And nobody does anything about the hit, a knee on knee with an elbow mixed in. Instead you have Keefe whining to the media. This team needs to stand up for itself, just like the big club.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hopefully people remember Liljegren’s terrific play before this injury. 8 points in 12 games playing largely on the second PP unit, and playing all those games without Brooks/Petan which Sandin conveniently skipped.

Then he gets hurt early in the first period of his next game again on a predatory hit, just like last year. And nobody does anything about the hit, a knee on knee with an elbow mixed in. Instead you have Keefe whining to the media. This team needs to stand up for itself, just like the big club.

The Marlies have guys to go after people, but it doesn't change the fact that the hit still happened and will continue to happen because these leagues are not taking any action towards curbing it.

Having a big tough guy who will go after these guys will not make them think twice. More often than not the guys making these hits are big tough guys themselves, so if they want to hit someone, they are going to hit someone. If there is a fight afterwards, bring it on. But it's not like they are going to think "Oh the Marlies have player X on this team, I better not hit Liljegren in fear of him coming after me". If anything they are going to welcome it since most likely the Marlies are going to be ones who come with a penalty out of the whole thing.

The only way you prevent guys from doing crap like this is slapping suspensions on them that get more and more severe with every repeat offense. The best way to prevent these hits from happening is not letting the offenders get into the game in the first place... And these guys are a lot more afraid of getting suspended, especially since they are not making huge paycheques and need the money, than having some guy come up to them and fighting them.

It's on the league to hold players accountable, not other players. They are the only ones who are going to make players think twice about laying out questionable hits.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
The Marlies have guys to go after people, but it doesn't change the fact that the hit still happened and will continue to happen because these leagues are not taking any action towards curbing it.

Having a big tough guy who will go after these guys will not make them think twice. More often than not the guys making these hits are big tough guys themselves, so if they want to hit someone, they are going to hit someone. If there is a fight afterwards, bring it on. But it's not like they are going to think "Oh the Marlies have player X on this team, I better not hit Liljegren in fear of him coming after me". If anything they are going to welcome it since most likely the Marlies are going to be ones who come with a penalty out of the whole thing.

The only way you prevent guys from doing crap like this is slapping suspensions on them that get more and more severe with every repeat offense. The best way to prevent these hits from happening is not letting the offenders get into the game in the first place... And these guys are a lot more afraid of getting suspended, especially since they are not making huge paycheques and need the money, than having some guy come up to them and fighting them.

It's on the league to hold players accountable, not other players. They are the only ones who are going to make players think twice about laying out questionable hits.

I think it needs to be a combination of both. The league needs to hand out appropriate discipline, for sure. But having players on the ice who will make you pay for flagrantly trying to injure your opponent can also serve as a deterrent. The worst is to be known as a soft team that doesn’t stand up for themselves. Opponents can and will continue to take advantage if this continues to be the case.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think it needs to be a combination of both. The league needs to hand out appropriate discipline, for sure. But having players on the ice who will make you pay for flagrantly trying to injure your opponent can also serve as a deterrent. The worst is to be known as a soft team that doesn’t stand up for themselves. Opponents can and will continue to take advantage if this continues to be the case.

But how are we going to make them pay? Fight them right? Hit them back and get into our own penalty/suspension trouble (never worked out for Kadri).

That's not a deterrent for guys who make these hits. They will either gladly take the fight or just turtle and let the refs protect them.

The best detterent is to take it to them and make them pay on the scoresheet. Outwork them and make them pay where it matters.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
the Marlies have a week off so hopefully Liljegren injury isn't serious.

As for the repercussion, in cases where there was a clear intent to injure (targetted hit, an egregious knee/elbow) the suspension should be "X amount of games for the act" + how many games missed by the injured player

In saying that I don't believe this was an egregious hit, it was a bad hit but I don't think the player targetted Liljegren or intended to hit him with his elbow. I would be happy with a game or two

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't recall. I have heard him say "we need more". There is a difference between saying it and believing it.
In the first 2 years he said it quite a bit.
Everytime the team didn't start on time, he said that's on the coaches.
As for believing it, how do you know he does or doesnt believe it? What insider knowledge do you have?

Reactions: Lauro

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
the Marlies have a week off so hopefully Liljegren injury isn't serious.

As for the repercussion, in cases where there was a clear intent to injure (targetted hit, an egregious knee/elbow) the suspension should be "X amount of games for the act" + how many games missed by the injured player

In saying that I don't believe this was an egregious hit, it was a bad hit but I don't think the player targetted Liljegren or intended to hit him with his elbow. I would be happy with a game or two

I've been thinking that too. If you make a guy miss weeks or months, then you can join them.

Imagine Todd Bertuzzi having to retire with Moore because of his stupid decision. Pretty sure that would make people think twice before going in dirty.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I guess the good news is Lilly was able to put weight on it afterwards, but it seemed like Marner couldn't even walk. A 2 week thing would be best case scenario.

Being able to put weight on it is a good sign, unfortunately it does not rule out certain serious injuries such as ACL tears (which would be season ending).

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But how are we going to make them pay? Fight them right? Hit them back and get into our own penalty/suspension trouble (never worked out for Kadri).

That's not a deterrent for guys who make these hits. They will either gladly take the fight or just turtle and let the refs protect them.

The best detterent is to take it to them and make them pay on the scoresheet. Outwork them and make them pay where it matters.
Have you been watchin' the Leafs at all? Howz that workin' for them?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Prospect of the week
There can only be one candidate this week, and that is Mikhail Abramov. After coming close on a couple occasions, he finally wins his 1st POW. He had 7 points in 3 games this week with 5 of those being goals. 6 of the points were at even strength, and one was an empty netter.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I've been thinking that too. If you make a guy miss weeks or months, then you can join them.

Imagine Todd Bertuzzi having to retire with Moore because of his stupid decision. Pretty sure that would make people think twice before going in dirty.

I agree. But the issue becomes. Say mcdavid injures the goat.

we just hold him out for a longer period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->