Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
I think Bracco will replace Kapanen next season. We have to clear some salary off the books to make room to extend Barrie and Muzzin

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Bracco will replace Kapanen next season. We have to clear some salary off the books to make room to extend Barrie and Muzzin

We don't need to re-sign both Barrie and Muzzin, especially if they want ridiculous demands.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We can fit Barrie at 8 and Muzzin at 6 if Kerfoot and Kapanen are gone

I wouldn't kill our depth to figure out a way to afford both. There are more cost-effective options in UFA to allow our defense to be competitive.

If Dermott moves to the RD, then we may be able to keep Muzzin. If Dermott stays at LD, I don't think he is kept. I do not see any circumstance outside of a really short term and easily tradeable deal where the Leafs keep Barrie. He's a luxury which we can replace internally. Maybe nobody will be as good as him offensively, but we will have guys who will still put numbers and will want PP time (Dermott and Sandin) but can still provide value on the PK or in key defensive situations. We do not have room for 8 mill pure offensive defensemen on this roster. Not unless we are not planning on keeping Rielly...

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Bracco is good with time and space, he cant buy himself time and space in the NHL preseason. He doesnt not work hard to get the puck back for himself. That is either 1) his cardio is poor or 2) He doesnt have the will to work hard. I think its both at this point in his career.
He floats and was invisible in the pre-season due to the above , imo and is a long shot to make the NHL unless skating, cardio and compete level change.

Reactions: cipher

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kokkonen listed on the 2nd pairing for Jukurit today. Maybe he is back there for sure now? Not sure what was going on there. After he returned from injury, he was sent to Nourten SM Liga for i'm guessing a conditioning stint, and then got called back up to Jukurit for 1 game, and then i'm pretty sure was sent back to SM Liga, and now called back up again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Rasanen also listed as the 7th defenceman for Jokerit. IDK what's the point of calling him up to get maybe 10 mins of ice time. He was getting more then 20 mins of ice time with K-Vantaa, and doing well there.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Rasanen also listed as the 7th defenceman for Jokerit. IDK what's the point of calling him up to get maybe 10 mins of ice time. He was getting more then 20 mins of ice time with K-Vantaa, and doing well there.

He shot himself and his career in the kneecaps going back to Finland. Damn shame. Imagine where he might be today with 2 years under Barb Underhill and Chief Keefe.

Reactions: Blueboy

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He shot himself and his career in the kneecaps going back to Finland. Damn shame. Imagine where he might be today with 2 years under Barb Underhill and Chief Keefe.

I'd rather him be in Finland than in the OHL or ECHL, and at least we hold his rights indefinitely while he's over there.

Right now the Marlies don't exactly have a ton of room for RD, and he needs to improve some more before we consider giving him an ELC.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'd rather him be in Finland than in the OHL or ECHL, and at least we hold his rights indefinitely while he's over there.

Right now the Marlies don't exactly have a ton of room for RD, and he needs to improve some more before we consider giving him an ELC.

Why? It's been like 2 years since he played meaningful minutes. The professional vs junior debate is immaterial if you're barely playing.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why? It's been like 2 years since he played meaningful minutes. The professional vs junior debate is immaterial if you're barely playing.

It's also immaterial, if you aren't good enough to get an ELC. Maybe give the guy an AHL contract, and stick him in the ECHL, but he obviously doesn't want that. It was his job to become good enough to even warrant being in our system, and that hasn't happened. It's basically a nothing sandwich at this point.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It's also immaterial, if you aren't good enough to get an ELC. Maybe give the guy an AHL contract, and stick him in the ECHL, but he obviously doesn't want that. It was his job to become good enough to even warrant being in our system, and that hasn't happened. It's basically a nothing sandwich at this point.

I don't believe that player potential is so determined that staying in North America wouldn't have had an effect vs the path he's chosen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't believe that player potential is so determined that staying in North America wouldn't have had an effect vs the path he's chosen.

Let's re-frame this. His development was so far away in terms of time, that we would have to keep him on the books, well past when he'd need to clear waivers. We are better off letting him develop to the point, that he is worth spending the time on here. If he doesn't make it, so be it. We are obviously in touch with the kid, telling him what he needs to work on. Surely there are skating coaches in Finland too.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Looks like Kossila's injuries have healed. On waivers, and headed to Marlies if he clears. (likely)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I really think the bottom6 on the Marlies should be filled with kids trying to push up the lineup with the top6 filled with NHL depth trying to get onto the team. I really really don't like how many NHL depth players are on the team, if they are not good enough to be in the top6 in the AHL they won't ever be good enough to be in the bottom6 in the NHL

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I really think the bottom6 on the Marlies should be filled with kids trying to push up the lineup with the top6 filled with NHL depth trying to get onto the team. I really really don't like how many NHL depth players are on the team, if they are not good enough to be in the top6 in the AHL they won't ever be good enough to be in the bottom6 in the NHL

Kossila would be a top 6 guy, and we don't really have too many center prospects on the Marlies. Brooks is going to play, and Elynuik will still get a fair amount of ice time even with the vets in the lineup. The rest are on the Growlers where they probably should be.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Kossila would be a top 6 guy, and we don't really have too many center prospects on the Marlies. Brooks is going to play, and Elynuik will still get a fair amount of ice time even with the vets in the lineup. The rest are on the Growlers where they probably should be.

Hollowell shouldn't be on the Growlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad