Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I have good NHL vibes about one through 17 with a few exceptions. SDA, I like but he needs to be more assertive with the puck. I bet he could be an AHL all-star one day. And I like Voit and Abruzzese, but am a bit more cautious with them due to lost development time.
Like some of the later dark horses too.
All in all, a fun group to track at least :)

agreed SDA sucks ... hes worse than bracco , he would be in my top 20

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So Niemela (6gms) leads all D in scoring (2gls/6pts) at the summer showcase.

Hirvonen (6gms) finishes 1st in goals (8) and 2nd in points (10).

Knies only plays 3gms but scores 3gls and 5pts which is the same pace as Hirvonen.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
So Niemela (6gms) leads all D in scoring (2gls/6pts) at the summer showcase.

Hirvonen (6gms) finishes 1st in goals (8) and 2nd in points (10).

Knies only plays 3gms but scores 3gls and 5pts which is the same pace as Hirvonen.
Not too shabby.

Is anyone else with a realistic shot eligible for this years tournament?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Drafting has been very solid recently for sure with Robertson, Amirov, Niemela, Hirvonen and Akhtiyamov.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Not too shabby.

Is anyone else with a realistic shot eligible for this years tournament?
Knies. Hirvonen, Niemela, G Peksa, Villeneuve, Tverberg, Schingoethe, Miller, Voit, Ovchinnikov

These are all the players that have been drafted by the Leafs that are eligible to participate.

Knies, Roni, Topi, Ov, and Voit should all get noticeable consideration. Voit really depends on how he starts off this year. Villeneuve I'm not sure what his competition is like for the Canadian blueline, but could be considered if he has a hot start as well but it's probably less than 1%.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Genuinely curious, why is Amirov the clearcut #4? From my viewings, I'd probably go Liljegren > Amirov > Sandin = Robertson
My personal opinion. In terms of upside I think I go.
1. Sandin
2. Amirov
3. Niemela
4. Robertson
5. Liljegren

In terms of readiness
1. Liljegren
2. Sandin
3. Robertson
4. Amirov
5. Niemela

Reactions: uncleben

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Interesting people have Liljegren as our #5 prospect in terms of upside. When I watch him play in the AHL, I think he has more pure upside than Sandin. He has nasty hands for a dman and is a pretty shifty and elusive skater. He makes forecheckers look downright stupid with his puck skills in the defensive end on a regular basis. Like Sandin, he has strong passing ability, and he has a powerful shot to boot. They both can be effective players in transition because of their elite puck moving ability, but I think Liljegren's better skating and hands will let him be a good puck carrier at the next level. He is bigger, stronger and significantly better defensively than Sandin. The only things that Sandin has over him that I can think of is pure hockey IQ and he is better at getting his shot through to the net. He might put up better offensive numbers, but I don't think he will be as impactful overall. If Liljegren played like he does in the AHL at the NHL level, he would be seen as an easy top pairing guy, if not a #1. I'd have him #2 based purely on ceiling in our prospect pool after Amirov. With Robertson and Sandin close behind.

I'd have it like this:

Upside:
Amirov
Liljegren
Sandin
Robertson
Niemela

HM: Miettinen

Readiness:
Liljegren
Sandin
Anderson
Robertson
Kokkonen

HM: Gogolev

Last edited:

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The top 5 consensus is Sandin Robertson Liljegren Amirov and Niemela?

Order is up for debate but that’s the top 5.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
? Not sure what's silly about saying Liljegren is more ready than Kokkonen. Not really sure what this has to do with anything said.
Considering I'm the one who said Kokkonen is the Leafs most ready prospect, even I don't know what he's talking about. But yes I concede, Liljegren is #1, Kokkonen #2. Yes Sandin has played NHL games, but his defense isn't there for me. I really find it asinine that Kokkonen isn't even considered by most to be top 5 ready. He's been playing consistent minutes in a top 5 league since he was 16.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Considering I'm the one who said Kokkonen is the Leafs most ready prospect, even I don't know what he's talking about. But yes I concede, Liljegren is #1, Kokkonen #2. Yes Sandin has played NHL games, but his defense isn't there for me. I really find it asinine that Kokkonen isn't even considered by most to be top 5 ready. He's been playing consistent minutes in a top 5 league since he was 16.
I thin Kokkonen would be our best bottom of the lineup guy other than Liljegren today, but that’s because he’s most able to play that role. The rest need high skill ice time.

Reactions: Morgs

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think it's just that the Leafs have a lot of prospects who are either NHL ready or close. Liljegren, Sandin, Anderson and Robertson all have NHL games under their belts and a good track record of success against pros in North America. They also have a few prospects who could easily surprise and push for jobs soon as well. Amirov and Niemela both could easily impress this season and start knocking on the door. I agree that Kokkonen is a lot closer to the NHL than people think though. He's rock solid and was spectacular with the Marlies, even if it was a small sample size.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Interesting people have Liljegren as our #5 prospect in terms of upside. When I watch him play in the AHL, I think he has more pure upside than Sandin. He has nasty hands for a dman and is a pretty shifty and elusive skater. He makes forecheckers look downright stupid with his puck skills in the defensive end on a regular basis. Like Sandin, he has strong passing ability, and he has a powerful shot to boot. They both can be effective players in transition because of their elite puck moving ability, but I think Liljegren's better skating and hands will let him be a good puck carrier at the next level. He is bigger, stronger and significantly better defensively than Sandin. The only things that Sandin has over him that I can think of is pure hockey IQ and he is better at getting his shot through to the net. He might put up better offensive numbers, but I don't think he will be as impactful overall. If Liljegren played like he does in the AHL at the NHL level, he would be seen as an easy top pairing guy, if not a #1. I'd have him #2 based purely on ceiling in our prospect pool after Amirov. With Robertson and Sandin close behind.

I'd have it like this:

Upside:
Amirov
Liljegren
Sandin
Robertson
Niemela

Readiness:
Liljegren
Sandin
Anderson
Robertson
Kokkonen

I have Sandin ahead of Lilly in terms of upside because of his ability on the PP. Every time I watch Lilly on the Marlies I come away impressed and think he will be a very solid 2 way defender, likely on the 2nd pair. Sandin i think is more likely to be a top pair guy capably of putting up 40+ points. Similar to Krug. I just think he needs more work defensively and keep working on his skating.

With Niemela I don't really see any holes in his game that would suggest he plays lower in the lineup or a bust. Skates very well, poised, great in transition, high IQ at both ends, accurate shot and great at moving the puck on the PP. I view him as being similar to Brodie. Not a star but a guy that can play top pair and be a solid defensmen in any role.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I have Sandin ahead of Lilly in terms of upside because of his ability on the PP. Every time I watch Lilly on the Marlies I come away impressed and think he will be a very solid 2 way defender, likely on the 2nd pair. Sandin i think is more likely to be a top pair guy capably of putting up 40+ points. Similar to Krug. I just think he needs more work defensively and keep working on his skating.

With Niemela I don't really see any holes in his game that would suggest he plays lower in the lineup or a bust. Skates very well, poised, great in transition, high IQ at both ends, accurate shot and great at moving the puck on the PP. I view him as being similar to Brodie. Not a star but a guy that can play top pair and be a solid defensmen in any role.
I don't doubt that Sandin has a higher offensive ceiling. His awareness in the offensive zone, passing and ability to get the puck through will ensure he puts up a lot of points. What I'm worried about is the fact that he is a smaller guy who doesn't have much speed. In the playoffs we saw his skating get him into trouble and was burned a bit more than I would have liked. As of now I think Sandin is going to be an effective second pairing guy who can quarterback a powerplay and put up about 40 points. If his skating improves and he adds some strength I could see him as a top pairing guy. I see Liljegren as a 30-35 point guy who is going to be a rock defensively. He has a lot less questions defensively than Sandin while having some very loud offensive tools himself. Like I was saying, he is a great passer who can move the puck well, is a better skater, has some power behind his shot, and imo the best set of hands on a dman in the organization. He also QBed the Marlies powerplay for a time and was quite good at it.

Reactions: Morgs

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019

He does need to get a lot stronger. I would guess at least two years away, but he's definitely a player.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't doubt that Sandin has a higher offensive ceiling. His awareness in the offensive zone, passing and ability to get the puck through will ensure he puts up a lot of points. What I'm worried about is the fact that he is a smaller guy who doesn't have much speed. In the playoffs we saw his skating get him into trouble and was burned a bit more than I would have liked. As of now I think Sandin is going to be an effective second pairing guy who can quarterback a powerplay and put up about 40 points. If his skating improves and he adds some strength I could see him as a top pairing guy. I see Liljegren as a 30-35 point guy who is going to be a rock defensively. He has a lot less questions defensively than Sandin while having some very loud offensive tools himself. Like I was saying, he is a great passer who can move the puck well, is a better skater, has some power behind his shot, and imo the best set of hands on a dman in the organization. He also QBed the Marlies powerplay for a time and was quite good at it.

I have them both as #2 for their ceilings but I think Liljegren's floor is higher than Sandin. After his rookie season with the Marlies he showed he had no holes. He then improved even further.

KitchenSink

Dec 3, 2018

I'd have it like this:

Upside:
Amirov
Liljegren
Sandin
Robertson
Niemela

Readiness:
Liljegren
Sandin
Anderson
Robertson
Kokkonen

But that's just the thing isn't it. Liljegren has not performed well in the NHL. It's nice that he has played very well in the AHL and that he is capable of being a 1 or 2 D man in the AHL but it is a massive step up to the NHL. And from what I have seen the main concern in Liljegren's NHL games is that he is not processing the game at the NHL pace. That's everything. It does not matter what physical skills he has if he can't process the game fast enough and doesn't have the hockey IQ. I would be ecxtatic if he proves me wrong but I only see him as a bottom pair D maybe a #4 in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad