Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Spezza leads Maple Leafs' efforts to pool money to help Marlies - Sportsnet.ca

Tack on another chapter to the feel-good story Jason Spezza is writing in Toronto.

It was the man his teammates call “Vintage” that brought forth a classic idea to the Maple Leafs’ leadership group: pay it forward, spread the wealth.

As Elliotte Friedman reported on Saturday’s edition of Headlines, a group of the Leafs’ well-compensated NHL players pooled money together to make a contribution to their American Hockey League brethren this season.

The Leafs were trying to keep their generosity quiet.

“Yeah, obviously not quiet enough,” captain John Tavares said, when asked about the contribution following Saturday’s 4-1 victory versus the Jets in Winnipeg.

“I have to give Spezz a lot of credit on this one. He kind of brought it to the forefront from the leadership standpoint, and the leadership group thought it was really important. I think we know — society as a whole, but certainly in our game — how tough a year it is for so many. So, within the organization, we wanted to make sure we try to take care of our own.”

Spezza, 37, is on his second league-minimum contract with the Leafs, but has earned a comfortable living through a long, successful career.

He doesn't wear a letter on his sweater but routinely spends extra time with prospects and younger members of the group working on everything from face-offs to having the proper mindset.

Marlies call-ups Adam Brooks and Nick Robertson have been quick to sing his praises.

Coach Sheldon Keefe said he had only heard “some rumblings” about the gift.

“It just, first of all, speaks to the character of our group, but I think it also just speaks to the recognition of the fact through this pandemic people in all walks of life are going through some tough times and the hockey business as well at different levels,” Keefe said.

“If you're a guy playing on an AHL contract, it's a challenge to get through this period. I don't know a whole lot about it, but not surprised that our players have the character that they do and step up."

Last edited:

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

Doubt the Leafs/Marlies have much, if any, interest in bringing Greenway in.

I bet he takes the fifth year option, but if Dubas can swing a 7th for his rights that would be great too.

Reactions: uncleben

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
His breakaway goal would have made it 5-1 ;)

Nope, 5-2. I actually watched the video of it before posting because I thought it was 4-1 at the time. The breakaway happened with 3:30 left after the Bruins had already scored earlier in the 3rd to make it 4-2.

Reactions: rdogg

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Doubt the Leafs/Marlies have much, if any, interest in bringing Greenway in.

I bet he takes the fifth year option, but if Dubas can swing a 7th for his rights that would be great too.

He was pretty bad last year so I doubt anyone has much interest. Might get Future Considerations from a team like they did with Dakota Joshua.

Highly doubt the Marlies want him. Low defensive IQ, little in terms of offensive game, still needs work on his skating... He has some solid skills, is big, and can play physical but you can find other guys like that with a much more refined package.

Reactions: stickty111

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Braden Schneider put up 27 points, in 21 games with Brandon Wheat Kings this year. Third highest scorer on the team, best +-.

I'm not suggesting we made a mistake, I think Amirov will work out quite well for us. Just Schneider was a prospect discussed a lot here, and had a "Monster" year...

Reactions: The Iceman

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Braden Schneider put up 27 points, in 21 games with Brandon Wheat Kings this year. Third highest scorer on the team, best +-.

I'm not suggesting we made a mistake, I think Amirov will work out quite well for us. Just Schneider was a prospect discussed a lot here, and had a "Monster" year...

Look at the numbers guys like Durzi, Hollowell, Hoefenmayer, etc put up as 19/20 year old dmen in the OHL... it's really not that remarkable to be honest. Never been impressed with Schneider, I can't imagine him becoming much more than a 4/5 dman.

Reactions: stickty111

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Look at the numbers guys like Durzi, Hollowell, Hoefenmayer, etc put up as 19/20 year old dmen in the OHL... it's really not that remarkable to be honest. Never been impressed with Schneider, I can't imagine him becoming much more than a 4/5 dman.
Schneider has a better PPG than all of them. Why would we compare Schneider's D+1 season to three offensive defensemen's 19 y/o and overage seasons? Especially considering he is a DFD.

Amirov's growth this season has been very positive in all aspects so hard to complain about that pick. He'll be a player. But if Schneider booms, passing on him is going to look horrible in hindsight. Way too soon to say.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I am hoping we give Nick Robertson a good run in a prominent role on the Marlies... He's not needed right now in Toronto and could really use some seasoning.

Reactions: supermann_98

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Abramov puts the cherry on top on a great series by scoring the OT series winner today. The game was scoreless going to OT. His team sweeps the 1st round largely due to him. 8 points in 3 games.
I think what the best part of Abramov is that he legit might not even crack our top 10 best prospects. So encouraging not to have to overvalue good young projects as blue chipper's like in years past. Gone are the days of overhypying long shots like Luca Caputi, Joe Colbourne, Chris DiDomenico etc... We are at the point where we have so many lines in the water, that if he pans out...Fantastic, if he doesn't... c'est la vie

great to see him taking that next step, I thought he looked great for Russia in the WJC. Arguably better than Amirov at times. He was not a plyer I was overly high on prior to that tourney. I've had him well outside of my top 10 in the past for sure. But he's definitely approaching my top 10 now

1.Sandin
2.Lilly
3,Robby
4.Amirov
5.Niemela
6.Hallander
7.Anderson
8.Hirvonen
9.Miettenen
10.Abruzzese

and you could really make a case for any of the guys listed below to make that top 10. Just a matter of personal preferance:

Abramov, Kokonen, SDA, Ovchinikov, Akhtyamov, Koster, and Kral

really encouraging stuff. Can't remember a time with this many encouraging prospects

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The Marlies should be interesting in a few years, Leafs have traded away A LOT of picks. They will have to rely more on undrafted College and undrafted European players to keep filling the pipeline.

2021 we have a 2nd rounder, a 5th rounder and a conditional 6th that we wont lose.
2022 we have a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and a conditional 6th that we may lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad