Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects Thread - Who ordered a taxi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ah there is the Moore Marlies I know

Liljegren has been awful so far today and just really sloppy play all around (from everyone, not just Liljegren; he at least rebounds quickly and makes a number of good plays soon after he messes up). Gave up an unforced error on the 3rd goal and couldn't fully cover his guy on a cross seam pass.

Woll should have been able to save some of those goals against (especially the third one), but it's another game where the goalie has to deal with guys who can get easy goals right in front of him.

Another terrible game. Just now another goal against VV except on the glove instead of the blocker.

Needs a major overhaul on that defense next year.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

seems like holmberg is gonna play with 2 nhlers, adrian kempe and marcus sörensen on the second line.

what a meteoric rise this kid has had in the last couple months. Never would have I have thought he would play on this team let alone 2nd line. A little disappointed Hallander has not been given an every game role as of yet. But I expect he will get some minutes throughout the tourny

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
what a meteoric rise this kid has had in the last couple months. Never would have I have thought he would play on this team let alone 2nd line. A little disappointed Hallander has not been given an every game role as of yet. But I expect he will get some minutes throughout the tourny

Hållander should have Mario Kempes spot. But Mario is there becuse of Adrian...:laugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What an impression Gogolev has made. Lilly also notches an assist to make it 11 points in 21. A step back in production, but a big reason for that is Moore's silly personnel D man decisions on the PP this year.

Reactions: meng666

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Nice to end the season with a win. It was an interesting ride this year but feeling fairly good about the pipeline atm.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies win 6-3 in their final game of the season. We'll see if thats Moore's final game, but I think they are keeping him which would be a mistake. They have a more then capable replacement in house in Snowden.
Not much to write about in the season but few notes on some players.

Forwards
Robertson: really good progression season for him. Even when the team was crumbling around him, he was a bright spot. Defensively he showed a lot of progress, and his playmaking took a step too. He has the shot still and with a more functional PP/offensive system around him, I think it will come out more. He can play on an NHL 3rd line right now.

Anderson: I liked him before his season was cut short. He is a hard worker and has some nice skill to go along with it. You could tell why Dubas signed him to a 3 year deal. Another Hyman player is possible and Anderson is more skilled at the same age.

Gogolev: what a story he was when he came over. Probably the best Marlie at his arrival. His feet can improve but the guy is really skilled and found the soft areas to score. I think ELC talk is too early but he opened some eyes.

I will add other forwards who came in later in my year end scouting report like SDA for example.

Defence:
Liljegren: just a star at this level and clearly ready to make the step to the NHL. His composure with the puck, and the confidence to make moves with the puck in the O zone is there now. Difficult to get by in transition and plays physically when it calls for it. Now just needs to stop tripping over his skates lol

Hollowell: honestly expected more. He was clearly above the competition in Finland, so it gave us excitement. I thought he was more aggressive offensively which was good, but had many defensive issues. I will say this though. I'm not ready to give up on him. I'd like to see him under a proper defensive system because on many nights, the problem was Moore's system. It's pretty clear the organization is still high on him too.

Kokkonen: he also made an impression but in a way he isn't known for. He was making some nice plays offensively and looked confident too. He got PP time too which was surprising but well earned. His point production illustrates his offensive play too. He had a bad 1st game but overall played well defensively. He got a promotion to play in the top pair with Liljegren and that was well earned too.

Again will talk about others in my prospect report

Goalies
Woll: I'm not sure what to think yet. I thought he was better this year, but his numbers are still awful. Again though, the team was a mess in front of him like last year. I will say what I said about Hollowell, I want to see what he looks like under a competent system.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Marlies win 6-3 in their final game of the season. We'll see if thats Moore's final game, but I think they are keeping him which would be a mistake. They have a more then capable replacement in house in Snowden.
Not much to write about in the season but few notes on some players.

Forwards
Robertson: really good progression season for him. Even when the team was crumbling around him, he was a bright spot. Defensively he showed a lot of progress, and his playmaking took a step too. He has the shot still and with a more functional PP/offensive system around him, I think it will come out more. He can play on an NHL 3rd line right now.

Anderson: I liked him before his season was cut short. He is a hard worker and has some nice skill to go along with it. You could tell why Dubas signed him to a 3 year deal. Another Hyman player is possible and Anderson is more skilled at the same age.

Gogolev: what a story he was when he came over. Probably the best Marlie at his arrival. His feet can improve but the guy is really skilled and found the soft areas to score. I think ELC talk is too early but he opened some eyes.

I will add other forwards who came in later in my year end scouting report like SDA for example.

Defence:
Liljegren: just a star at this level and clearly ready to make the step to the NHL. His composure with the puck, and the confidence to make moves with the puck in the O zone is there now. Difficult to get by in transition and plays physically when it calls for it. Now just needs to stop tripping over his skates lol

Hollowell: honestly expected more. He was clearly above the competition in Finland, so it gave us excitement. I thought he was more aggressive offensively which was good, but had many defensive issues. I will say this though. I'm not ready to give up on him. I'd like to see him under a proper defensive system because on many nights, the problem was Moore's system. It's pretty clear the organization is still high on him too.

Kokkonen: he also made an impression but in a way he isn't known for. He was making some nice plays offensively and looked confident too. He got PP time too which was surprising but well earned. His point production illustrates his offensive play too. He had a bad 1st game but overall played well defensively. He got a promotion to play in the top pair with Liljegren and that was well earned too.

Again will talk about others in my prospect report

Goalies
Woll: I'm not sure what to think yet. I thought he was better this year, but his numbers are still awful. Again though, the team was a mess in front of him like last year. I will say what I said about Hollowell, I want to see what he looks like under a competent system.
Sticky would Holloway make a better forward than Dman? Does he possess an Nhl caliber shot?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sticky would Holloway make a better forward than Dman? Does he possess an Nhl caliber shot?

I personally would say he doesn't possess NHL anything. Defensemen are not just suddenly going to become NHL capable forwards either.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I think Hollowell's skating is NHL quality. He plays bigger than his size. Those two things should help him. He has flashes on offense, needs work on D. I think his shot needs work.

You never discount a defenseman with his level of skating and body position smarts. I agree that there is an obsession with size beyond its actual benefits. However Hollowell really is small (and slight) and at a disadvantage of getting overpowered even with his above average defending technique. Other small guys who make it on defense have spectacular skills and/or a really strong lower body.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You never discount a defenseman with his level of skating and body position smarts. I agree that there is an obsession with size beyond its actual benefits. However Hollowell really is small (and slight) and at a disadvantage of getting overpowered even with his above average defending technique. Other small guys who make it on defense have spectacular skills and/or a really strong lower body.

The issue is that he doesn't really even have average defending technique based on his play in the AHL. In fact, it is a major liability. He constantly gets burned and he doesn't have the skating to make up for it.

His hands, passing, shot, etc. are nothing spectacular either, and that is at the AHL level.

There are just a ton of flaws and nothing really that has improved since his OHL days. The Leafs may give him another year because he is a Soo guy and we won't have any guys coming in next year at RD, but once we have Rindell, Villeneuve, Niemela, etc. coming through, he is not going to have a job with us anymore. If we can trade him now and can just replace him with a solid UFA vet, I would do that. Duszak has a lot better offensive tools and a more refined defensive game (which surprised me). Anything Hollowell can do, Duszak can do better. Then we will have puck movers like Kral, Hoefenmayer, and Sandin at LD next year so we should be looking at better defensive players to compliment them.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I saw that canada was not doing too well in the iihf world championships. Then, i saw the roster.
Was really impressed with Rubins against Canada. He's been the Leafs best prospect at the WC IMO.

Playing in Latvia's top 4 D with 20+ mins when they shutout Canada, including 4:16 on the PK. Put up a 59.8% xGF% at 5v5.

Point production will never tell the full story with Rubins. Excellent transitional defense, great skater, creative but safe breakouts with a strong short-game in the D-zone and sneaky physical along the boards. A more aggressive Marincin with better passing ability and hands.

He will get an NHL call soon.

Reactions: Jeypic

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Was really impressed with Rubins against Canada. He's been the Leafs best prospect at the WC IMO.

Playing in Latvia's top 4 D with 20+ mins when they shutout Canada, including 4:16 on the PK. Put up a 59.8% xGF% at 5v5.

Point production will never tell the full story with Rubins. Excellent transitional defense, great skater, creative but safe breakouts with a strong short-game in the D-zone and sneaky physical along the boards. A more aggressive Marincin with better passing ability and hands.

He will get an NHL call soon.

I hope some other NHL team feels that way and gives us a late round pick for him. There is simply no room for him and I would rather give Kral the chance to develop in the spot that he would otherwise occupy.

His defensive game is simply not good enough if we want to have guys like Hollowell, etc. on our roster as well. We need someone, even if it is a veteran, who can handle some tough defensive minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad