Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Can anyone think of some other Leaf cast offs that are now NHL regulars? I know there are a few

I’m not talking about well known players but more under the radar guys
Verhaege and McKegg jump to mind - not sure if we could McKegg as a cast off

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Can anyone think of some other Leaf cast offs that are now NHL regulars? I know there are a few

I’m not talking about well known players but more under the radar guys

Stralman, Pateryn, and Leivo.

Toninato, McKegg and Verhaeghe as extras/4th liners. Timashov as well.

That's really it.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Just thought I’d check out an interesting tidbit:
5 current Leafs were on the 2018 Calder winning Marlies
Goat
Engvall
Holl
Marincin
Rosen

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Dermott & Johnsson.
I stand corrected; I just located an article that showed the rosters entering the final when I was curious.

Dermott and AJ were late demotions after the leafs were eliminated, right?

And @SeaOfBlue , yup, Lili too. Forgot about the extended roster size.

8 guys is a pretty good number, even if most are in complimentary/depth roles.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I stand corrected; I just located an article that showed the rosters entering the final when I was curious.

Dermott and AJ were late demotions after the leafs were eliminated, right?

And @SeaOfBlue , yup, Lili too. Forgot about the extended roster size.

8 guys is a pretty good number, even if most are in complimentary/depth roles.

Yeah they missed the first round. Johansson still was playoff MVP though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Jesper Lindgren has been loaned to MODO.

Malgin, Liljegren and Sandin won't be loaned unless we are eliminated. Should probably see guys like Rubins, Kivihalme and Kral get loaned though... Kral may even spend the entire year in Europe.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
McKegg was traded for Hyman, Grundstrom was in the Muzzin deal, Moore went for Campbell and Clifford, Pateryn was in the Grobovsky trade. They weren't cast off for mid to low draft picks.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Any chance Liljegren and/or Sandin get conditionally loaned to the SHL like Bjornfot just did?

There is always a chance. ECHL and AHL start date is now Dec 4 and NHL Dec 1? I think the Euro leagues are all starting 2 months earlier so developmentally both these kids really should be there. In fact given Ian Scotts lost season maybe the Leafs should shuffle him off to one of the lower leagues to see if he can get some of his mojo back.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Jesper Lindgren has been loaned to MODO.

Malgin, Liljegren and Sandin won't be loaned unless we are eliminated. Should probably see guys like Rubins, Kivihalme and Kral get loaned though... Kral may even spend the entire year in Europe.

Well Kral has been loaned as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Well Kral has been loaned as well.

I don't know if that will be for the whole season. It might be depending on what the Leafs end up doing with Liljegren. If Liljegren is back on the Marlies for next year, then Kral could be the odd man out.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
There is always a chance. ECHL and AHL start date is now Dec 4 and NHL Dec 1? I think the Euro leagues are all starting 2 months earlier so developmentally both these kids really should be there. In fact given Ian Scotts lost season maybe the Leafs should shuffle him off to one of the lower leagues to see if he can get some of his mojo back.

SHL start date is Sept 19 so it would be 2 and a half months of extra development if Liljegren/Sandin started in the SHL.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
Sandin and Liljegren have both made the team, and are expected to be full time NHLers next season. They also were both in the bubble training for games they did not play. I would expect the Leafs to give the two months off and let them start back up again in the AHL.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I remember the shortened season a few years back, Leafs put a lot of Marlies in the line-up early on, as they'd been playing in the AHL and made a flying start. I wonder if it's smart to send a lot of talent on loan for a bit, so when the season starts, a good number of them can start off in the NHL, gets the Leafs a good start and then introduce more and more of the others in as they get up to speed. Could be a good way of getting an advtange, and going into the play-offs as a higher seed.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
panik is also still playing

Chicago was finally able to tap into him and turn him into a solid 3rd liner. Good for him; he was not too bad as a 4th liner in Toronto, but he was not hitting his potential until he got to play with good players in Chicago. He probably would have been a solid addition to our top 9 if we had better players when he was here, and provided good value as a waiver pickup.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Chicago was finally able to tap into him and turn him into a solid 3rd liner. Good for him; he was not too bad as a 4th liner in Toronto, but he was not hitting his potential until he got to play with good players in Chicago. He probably would have been a solid addition to our top 9 if we had better players when he was here, and provided good value as a waiver pickup.

Still doesn't make sense since, at the time, the Leafs were basically just building from the ground up and deciding to let him go.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Still doesn't make sense since, at the time, the Leafs were basically just building from the ground up and deciding to let him go.

Babcock did not want him I guess. Was sent to the Marlies and never once played for the Leafs after Babcock came in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad