Prospect Info: Marlies/Prospects- Early Off Season time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is there anything stopping rich teams, from using their financial strength to their advantage? Toronto would be an obvious example.

It wouldn't be hard for us to put together three, maybe even four minor league teams. Between prospects, Marlies and Growlers, plus some invitees, to put together group training camps, and multiple team exhibition games, not unlike what the Leafs are doing now. At a time when other teams can't afford to develop their prospects, we could... could be a big advantage.

Also perhaps of interest... Westhead: CHL seeks government aid to ‘weather the storm’ amid pandemic - TSN.ca The Canadian Hockey League has hired lobbyists in Ottawa to discuss financial aid for its 60 major junior teams, amid concerns that some franchises could be forced out of business because of the COVID-19 pandemic

With the way things are going with the league making everything Toronto does illegal more than likely we'd either be told we can't develop our prospects because other teams can't afford to. Or we can if we want but we'd have to pay for the entire league to do the same.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With the way things are going with the league making everything Toronto does illegal more than likely we'd either be told we can't develop our prospects because other teams can't afford to. Or we can if we want but we'd have to pay for the entire league to do the same.

Beyond using paid Refs, what have they made illegal?

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Keeping their practice facilities open in the offseason for players and prospects to use

Yeah this one is VERY bush league...

As a growing sport that has by far the smallest fanbase of the 4 leagues, we should be doing everything in our power to develop all prospects. Instead we limit some because other teams dont keep their facilities open.

It's not like it is a huge advantage like southern US tax advantages...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Keeping their practice facilities open in the offseason for players and prospects to use

Yeah this one is VERY bush league...

As a growing sport that has by far the smallest fanbase of the 4 leagues, we should be doing everything in our power to develop all prospects. Instead we limit some because other teams dont keep their facilities open.

It's not like it is a huge advantage like southern US tax advantages...
I'm not sure the 2nd one is just owners, more players don't want this "optional development stuff" to essentially become mandatory for fringe players.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not sure the 2nd one is just owners, more players don't want this "optional development stuff" to essentially become mandatory for fringe players.

Well it does not need to become mandatory, but if they are fringe, they should be taking every single opportunity given to them. They should be seeking out those opportunities.

Reactions: meefer

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well it does not need to become mandatory, but if they are fringe, they should be taking every single opportunity given to them. They should be seeking out those opportunities.
The NFL fought hard to combat things like this though. It essentially makes it mandatory for fringe guys to work in these situations. If the players wanted this stuff, they would have fought it harder.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The NFL fought hard to combat things like this though. It essentially makes it mandatory for fringe guys to work in these situations. If the players wanted this stuff, they would have fought it harder.

Did they fight against it, or did they just not fight very hard?

It could be that a lot of players do not care because they just do things on their own anyways (or used our facilities but could easily go somewhere else to work out), so it does not really matter for them.

I just do not understand why fringe players would be actively against it. While it may guilt players, it is not mandatory and it is not like the team is going to hold it against them if they still come out as good players. If they want to do their own program at home or elsewhere, then the Leafs have allowed for that to happen. If they just do not want to work in general, then don't be a professional.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
There's actually been a misunderstanding about the whole summer-training-facility thing. The Leafs haven't actually been forced to close their facility in the summer. What's changed is that they aren't allowed to cover the expenses(flights, hotels, having Gary Roberts train them) of the prospects that come to make use of the facilities, and that isn't actually all that unreasonable. The Leafs have the money to throw around, and half the organization lives here. If you're Columbus and nobody lives there because it's Columbus, you barely(or don't) make a profit, and you have to fly all your guys in from all over the world and give them places to stay, it becomes a more apparently unfair.

It's still lame, but not as outrageously stupid and bush league as originally reported.

Reactions: meefer

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
There's actually been a misunderstanding about the whole summer-training-facility thing. The Leafs haven't actually been forced to close their facility in the summer. What's changed is that they aren't allowed to cover the expenses(flights, hotels, having Gary Roberts train them) of the prospects that come to make use of the facilities, and that isn't actually all that unreasonable. The Leafs have the money to throw around, and half the organization lives here. If you're Columbus and nobody lives there because it's Columbus, you barely(or don't) make a profit, and you have to fly all your guys in from all over the world and give them places to stay, it becomes a more apparently unfair.

It's still lame, but not as outrageously stupid and bush league as originally reported.
Agreed, but still insane to me.
As a pro sports team, your complaining because we fly our players to our city, and pay for hotel rooms and trainers? Or complain because your players dont want to live in your city during offseasons? Just dumb.

To (roughly) quote one of the best Canadian tv shows...
My response to any team that complained

Like, kick rocks bud.

That's 10 ply bud.

You couldn't wheel a tire down a hill.

Your teams are so sad I could get a charity tax credit just by watching your guys play.

Anyone saying its about fairness, get off the cross we need the wood.

Reactions: Faltorvo

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Looks like Ian Scott is the practice goalie for Liljegren/Johnsson when they're on the ice. Good to see him back. Hopefully he can bounce back strong next year and push for a role with the Marlies by year end.

Reactions: Magic Man

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Looks like Ian Scott is the practice goalie for Liljegren/Johnsson when they're on the ice. Good to see him back. Hopefully he can bounce back strong next year and push for a role with the Marlies by year end.

He is an absolute wildcard I think. His Junior analogs seem to include guys like Pogge and but also Brossoit and Holtby. If he is Brossoit or Reimer they could use that. If he is Holtby they could use that more. With the lost season definitely a mystery prospect.

Reactions: Magic Man

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Are they working Lily into game shape? Is he still eligible for the playoff round if they can round him into form?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Are they working Lily into game shape? Is he still eligible for the playoff round if they can round him into form?

They do not really need him unless injuries hit, but likely he has some kind of minor injury and will be able to return at some point if we need him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Nick Abruzzese and Europe???

A while ago some people were talking about him turning pro which I sort of discounted but what if the NCAA isn't back in the fall? Yeah he is a hobbit and IMO would have been a 4 year college player to properly develop but he seems like a guy that might have at least a shot at sticking in the Finnish Liiga. They have always been a league that favors small danglers so he won't get erased like maybe in the KHL or DEL and that is a major leap over amateur. The money would obviously offset the paid college ride. Developmentally even the Austrian or Norwegian leagues would be a nice step but the money is not on the same scale so maybe not enough to tempt him.

I don't have a preference as that really depends on whether the guy wants to be a pro hockey player or an engineer. If he comes from a money family and doesn't have tunnel vision on hockey then its a forgone conclusion that he will stick with the school route and whatever delays happen. If his big college season has shown him the brass ring then maybe this is his fork in the road. Unfortunately one paid game means his college career is over so its not an easy choice. Alps Hockey League?

Step one is what will the NCAA do?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Did they fight against it, or did they just not fight very hard?

It could be that a lot of players do not care because they just do things on their own anyways (or used our facilities but could easily go somewhere else to work out), so it does not really matter for them.

I just do not understand why fringe players would be actively against it. While it may guilt players, it is not mandatory and it is not like the team is going to hold it against them if they still come out as good players. If they want to do their own program at home or elsewhere, then the Leafs have allowed for that to happen. If they just do not want to work in general, then don't be a professional.
Fringe players might still want it but guys who are at the level just above fringe players might feel the heat of better practice if not these fringe players might take my job...then the level above that might feel the same.
Anyhow, pretty sure there are plenty of ways to be around that once this COVID thing is over.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
So we all agree Bracco is a bust, correct? That hes never going to suit up for the Leafs and likely not in the NHL in any significant fashion?

Not a lot of debate on that one, he's a leech of a player (needs somebody to drive play up ice for him) with two standout skills (on ice passing and vision)

I can't see how he succeeds at the next level

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So we all agree Bracco is a bust, correct? That hes never going to suit up for the Leafs and likely not in the NHL in any significant fashion?

He could probably throw up a lot of points on the PP of a bad team. Can't see a team being successful with him in a prominent role, though.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Not a lot of debate on that one, he's a leech of a player (needs somebody to drive play up ice for him) with two standout skills (on ice passing and vision)

He can succeed in the NHL, but it will be a very niche role. He needs a scoring center who knows how to finish off plays and can drive the net (i.e. a Tavares-type player, but he does not need to be as good as Tavares). He also needs PP time with limited defensive responsibilities. His vision and playmaking ability is elite enough for him to make it to the NHL with the rest of his skill set, and I think with the flat cap and teams needing cheaper players who can fill top 9 roles, he has a much better shot than before.

I don't think last year is a good indication of what Bracco can accomplish. He went from a center who compliments him perfectly in Mueller (who also did much worse once he lost Bracco) to 4th line energy guys like Elynuik and MacMaster. Neither of them can keep up with Bracco offensively, and it showed... So teams would mostly just focus on shutting down Bracco. The Marlies just sucked in general last year too.

I expect the Leafs to swap him for another high potential prospect who is buried/struggling.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He can succeed in the NHL, but it will be a very niche role. He needs a scoring center who knows how to finish off plays and can drive the net (i.e. a Tavares-type player, but he does not need to be as good as Tavares). He also needs PP time with limited defensive responsibilities. His vision and playmaking ability is elite enough for him to make it to the NHL with the rest of his skill set, and I think with the flat cap and teams needing cheaper players who can fill top 9 roles, he has a much better shot than before.

I don't think last year is a good indication of what Bracco can accomplish. He went from a center who compliments him perfectly in Mueller (who also did much worse once he lost Bracco) to 4th line energy guys like Elynuik and MacMaster. Neither of them can keep up with Bracco offensively, and it showed... So teams would mostly just focus on shutting down Bracco. The Marlies just sucked in general last year too.

I expect the Leafs to swap him for another high potential prospect who is buried/struggling.

He can't be used in any form of defensive role, can't drive play or transition the puck up ice, needs a 1st unit PP QB job. Then he left the Marlies for God knows what reason mid season

Best of luck with that, he's worth **** all
I'd take a conditional 7th for him

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

If only he had some speed, he could be Malgin...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->