OT: Marlies assistant coach Rob Davidson in hospital(update: discharged from hospital)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Obviously the game result doesn't matter, but I was really surprised by this. They couldn't reschedule?
Travel out west is a financial burden to AHL teams, and also hard to schedule. While MLSE can easily afford it, some AHL teams while affiliated are still independently owned. I doubt they want to set a precedent of re-scheduling. If this occured in somewhere like Belleville or Rochester, I think we would have seen it rescheduled. Either way, much more important things are at play, and obviously, I hope Davison makes a full recovery from whatever happened. A fairly young guy to have a major medical incident.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Travel out west is a financial burden to AHL teams, and also hard to schedule. While MLSE can easily afford it, some AHL teams while affiliated are still independently owned. I doubt they want to set a precedent of re-scheduling. If this occured in somewhere like Belleville or Rochester, I think we would have seen it rescheduled. Either way, much more important things are at play, and obviously, I hope Davison makes a full recovery from whatever happened. A fairly young guy to have a major medical incident.

It’s Texas. It’s a quick plane trip for the Marlies. Find a night when the Stars arena is free and book it.

That’s all nonsense bs.

This game should’ve been rescheduled. Anything else is crap.

The most important thing isn’t “financial burdens”. It’s Rob and the people around him

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It’s Texas. It’s a quick plane trip for the Marlies. Find a night when the Stars arena is free and book it.

That’s all nonsense bs.

This game should’ve been rescheduled. Anything else is crap.

The most important thing isn’t “financial burdens”. It’s Rob and the people around him
Yeah, the main thing is Rob and the health of him, which is why I don't care about the forfeit.

AHL schedules in a way that extremely limits the need for chartered flights. Which is why we play Texas twice, and then play San Antonio on Sunday, and don't travel to Texas again. Its why we don't play any of the California teams.

Reactions: Mansfield

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

First and foremost, best wishes to Rob Davison, his friends and family, and the Marlies. Obviously we don't know exactly what happened, but I certainly can imagine having a medical emergency severe enough to cause a team to want to postpone/cancel a game. As a Bruins fan, that happened to one of our former prospects, Craig Cunningham, playing for the AHL in Arizona - if you don't know, he collapsed pregame due to cardiac arrest, and I think got an infection in his leg from a bypass, eventually causing him to lose a leg. He's now a scout for Arizona and is able to skate on a prosthetic - not the ultimate happy ending, but certainly better than it could have been.

That particular game was postponed, I believe.

A good chunk of AHL teams are on shoestring budgets, so I can see that a Toronto-to-Dallas trip, while feasable for Toronto, wouldn't be for most AHL teams. But why would they reschedule the Cunningham game, and not this one? Simply because it's not a player? Either give each team a SOL, or have the game not be played and not exist in the standings. The AHL already has teams with different numbers of games played in the season, so they can deal with this.

It's awful that the AHL is making the Marlies take an L. Obviously, not as bad as whatever Rob Davison is going through, but there's no reason to pile on like that.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Embarassing display by the AHL

The AHL looks really bad on this one because it's clearly money related.

Tonight was the night you could watch every AHL game for free as a promotion for AHL's subscription service. Texas and Toronto are two of the bigger markets obviously so the league was probably pissed.

Bush league move by a bush league.

All that said hoping for a quick recovery for Rob! By all accounts he's a great guy and hopefully he can get back to doing what he loves sooner rather than later!

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The right call if they witnessed something very serious, which it must be to not play the game.

Hopefully he is ok.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
First and foremost, best wishes to Rob Davison, his friends and family, and the Marlies. Obviously we don't know exactly what happened, but I certainly can imagine having a medical emergency severe enough to cause a team to want to postpone/cancel a game. As a Bruins fan, that happened to one of our former prospects, Craig Cunningham, playing for the AHL in Arizona - if you don't know, he collapsed pregame due to cardiac arrest, and I think got an infection in his leg from a bypass, eventually causing him to lose a leg. He's now a scout for Arizona and is able to skate on a prosthetic - not the ultimate happy ending, but certainly better than it could have been.

That particular game was postponed, I believe.

A good chunk of AHL teams are on shoestring budgets, so I can see that a Toronto-to-Dallas trip, while feasable for Toronto, wouldn't be for most AHL teams. But why would they reschedule the Cunningham game, and not this one? Simply because it's not a player? Either give each team a SOL, or have the game not be played and not exist in the standings. The AHL already has teams with different numbers of games played in the season, so they can deal with this.

It's awful that the AHL is making the Marlies take an L. Obviously, not as bad as whatever Rob Davison is going through, but there's no reason to pile on like that.
I know the Cunningham story. I'm just not going to get worked up over us having to forfeit an AHL game. The Cunningham game happened right in front of the crowd, with medics having to do chest compressions on the ice and cut-off his equipment. They will likely never continue a game after that, similar to how the Niagara game had to be canceled this year because the goalie cut (but thankfully didn't severe) his femoral artery.

Either way, I hope this has a happy ending. I could care less about the results of an AHL game after an event like this happened. I'd add, I hope the team has some level of coverage for their employees over in the states. The last thing anyone needs is to have a major medical issue and then recover into significant debt (although, I would hope and assume the MLSE would step up in that situation).

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I read on Twitter that it was a stroke, no idea how true that is.

my uncle took a stroke at 44, but luckily made an almost full recovery. He was stubborn and never went to the doctor to get his blood checked, just like a lot of other people.

Get your annual check ups people, no matter how old you are or how healthy you feel.

Obviously I have no idea of Rob’s situation, but I’m hoping for a full recovery from whatever it was.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad