Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They were 40-27-9 when Dineen was the head coach and they were up 2-0 in the first round before losing 3 straight to Grand Rapids. They didn't go far in the playoffs but that was a good team.
The special teams were not very good. A downgrade when Spott was there the year before.
The team only got going when Nylander showed up half way through. They should have been a lot better before that based on the roster.

Before Nylander, 17-16-6

After Nylander, 23-11-3

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
He rarely plays, and it's not really his fault.
It is 100% his fault. He overvalued his own talent, went to the Europe thinking he could handle it and he obviously cant. If he could hed be getting minutes.
Should have gone back to Jr and hed be on the Marlies right now.

Reactions: showtime8

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It is 100% his fault. He overvalued his own talent, went to the Europe thinking he could handle it and he obviously cant. If he could hed be getting minutes.
Should have gone back to Jr and hed be on the Marlies right now.

The QoC in the KHL is not much better than it is in the AHL, so if he did not have the talent to play every day in the KHL, he would not play in the AHL either. Especially considering the Marlies are struggling to find consistent ice time for Hollowell and Duszak as is.

His problem was he picked the wrong team. If he wanted to go to Europe, he should have gone to the Liiga or picked a different KHL team, but obviously he wanted to play for Jokerit and unfortunately Jokerit is one of those teams that refuses to play young talent. Their youngest regular players are all in their mid-20's, except for one 20 year old forward who doesn't play much either. If he plays for a really good team, or a really bad team, he plays more and likely starts looking better. Playing for mediocre KHL teams sucks. It has nothing to do with how he valued his talent, or not being good enough. He's more than good enough, but you need your coach to play you and his coach will not play him.

Toronto just needs to pull him out of Jokerit and never send him back.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Honestly how do you send back a guy who goes above a goal a game? Like not being that guy to overhype a prospect but how do you feasibly do it it just seems ridiculous.

Dubas: "hey kid sorry you haven't made the team, down with the Petes this year we want you to be a leading scorer"
Robertson: "Sure thing Dubie so like what do you want, same as last year or 2 GPG this time around?"
Dubas: "Er yes exactly, go get em Nick, see you next year"

Reactions: stickty111

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Honestly how do you send back a guy who goes above a goal a game? Like not being that guy to overhype a prospect but how do you feasibly do it it just seems ridiculous.

Dubas: "hey kid sorry you haven't made the team, down with the Petes this year we want you to be a leading scorer"
Robertson: "Sure thing Dubie so like what do you want, same as last year or 2 GPG this time around?"

They weren't afraid to send Marner back as he wasn't physically ready .. I imagine it could be similar with Robertson

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Interesting comments from Moore today.
He was asked about why change to Kask at the 1st intermission.

"Just didn't like how the 2 goals went in. Kask gave us a good game yesterday, so we wanted to put him back in to stabilize things".

Looks like he didn't like Woll today.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think people are getting ahead of themselves in the case of Robertson. He's dramatically improved his standing as a prospect since the day he was drafted, but he has multiple things to work on. He still turns it over a bit too much, and I've heard from people at recent Peterborough games in a scouting capacity, that his shot selection has been a bit selfish. Now, if your converting its great, but he is shooting a ton. It would be interesting to see his shot generation numbers compared with that of the line. I know SDA basically needs to be pinched to shoot, and that may be a contributing cause.

He also needs to get stronger and more explosive.

Finally, OHL scoring universally is out of wack this year. What he's doing is still damn impressive. But, when you look at the overall quality of the OHL and the rate good but not truly elite talents are scoring at, it raises some questions.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Development really is a lot more than numbers. What he's demonstrated this year is that he's got the offensive skillset of an NHL player, I think that's there beyond reasonable doubt. If he's back in the OHL next year, I don't really care about +/- one standard deviation of his goal totals, I want to see him improve the other aspects of the game, his raw athleticism, and his and the staff's perceived obstacles to his game translating into professional hockey. Like how Liljegren's been developed -- less emphasis on counting stats, more emphasis on process.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They weren't afraid to send Marner back as he wasn't physically ready .. I imagine it could be similar with Robertson

I appreciate what you are saying, but they've already done that with Robertson. Marner played his D+1, and that's just what Robertson is doing now. Marner played his D+2 with the Leafs, people are discussing where Robertson plays his D+2.

Reactions: stickty111

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I appreciate what you are saying, but they've already done that with Robertson. Marner played his D+1, and that's just what Robertson is doing now. Marner played his D+2 with the Leafs, people are discussing where Robertson plays his D+2.

Robertson is a slightly different case.

1) He's very young
2) He was born prematurely, so his physical development is further delayed
3) Marner had a much better D+1 season.
4) There are more holes in Robsertson's game than Marner's in theri D+1 season. Robsertson can still improve his skating, defensive game, playmaking, etc. etc.

Ideally, Robertson would get some AHL time to see if he can handle it... but being sent back to the OHL won't hurt his development IMO. Marner in his draft year produced at 2P/GP and still got sent back. Robsertson is currently at 1.67.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I think if he puts in work over the summer to get stronger he absolutely will be. He's got the tenacity of Hyman with elite hands, an elite shot, intelligence and solid playmaking ability.

is he not strong enough for the NHL? or are we making that assumption based on height, weight and age?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He was born prematurely, so his physical development is further delayed

Oh good lord what a weird narrative. rest of your response is fine but what the hell. Being premature isn’t something that sticks with you your whole life it’s like a couple years as a baby.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Robertson is a slightly different case.

1) He's very young
2) He was born prematurely, so his physical development is further delayed
3) Marner had a much better D+1 season.
4) There are more holes in Robsertson's game than Marner's in theri D+1 season. Robsertson can still improve his skating, defensive game, playmaking, etc. etc.

Ideally, Robertson would get some AHL time to see if he can handle it... but being sent back to the OHL won't hurt his development IMO. Marner in his draft year produced at 2P/GP and still got sent back. Robsertson is currently at 1.67.

I agree. Robertson will be with the Petes next year.

If the new NHL-CHL agreement allows certain 19 year olds to play in the AHL, and Robertson fits the criteria, than the Marlies could be a good spot as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
is he not strong enough for the NHL? or are we making that assumption based on height, weight and age?
He's not that strong. He needs to get stronger to get more explosive in his skating, otherwise, he will be over-reliant on his hands to create separation at the NHL level. Creating time on the puck without good skating or strength on the puck is insanely difficult in the NHL.
Oh good lord what a weird narrative. rest of your response is fine but what the hell. Being premature isn’t something that sticks with you your whole life it’s like a couple years as a baby.
I don't think it still affects him, but people who are born as prematurely as Robertson, tend to not grow as big as their siblings and be smaller on average. So, research indicates it does affect how big they grow, now, I'm not sure it delays their topped outgrowth into their late teens.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

You’re probably misunderstanding what I meant by that point. Being born immature doesn’t stick with you the rest of your life, but it delays your development. Everyone develops differently, but developmentally, he is delayed a few months - which would have put him in the 2020 draft class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad