Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
We dont have a 1st (again) so I've been paying a good amount of attention at the college UFA crowd. These are my current top 5 guys.

Mitchell Chaffee - snarling tenacious Acciari type who is having a good (ppg+) season with UMass

Josh Dunne - 6'4 C, near PPG and a pest. Playing with Clarkson. Needs to fill out, but he is solid.

Zach Giuttari - 6'2, RHD. Captain at Brown, potentially best D free agent. All situations guy who has a bomb. Solid defensively and throws huge hits.

Connor Mackey - 6'2 LHD. Maybe top UFA at start of the season, struggled a bit but still a great prospect.

Greg Printz - 6'3 LW. Huge shot, tons of speed, needs to work on two way play.
Keep it coming, great contribution.

I wonder how free agents will view their opportunities with the Leafs. It could go either way, with annual room for minimum contracts, but also log jams in some spots.

Reactions: LeafChief

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is kind of my mentality. Sign college guys and let them fit into the ECHL/AHL where they do. It helps insulate the younger guys coming from junior, and every once in a while you find a Bozak type. Even if that's 1 in 25 'high end' college guys becoming a decent top 4/6 d or top 9 f, thats alright with me. Sign 4 or 5 a year, pay them well, pay for the best trainers. Give them 3 years to show something, and if they dont no harm no foul.

Well give an AHL deal to whomever. But besides Giuttari, all of these guys are not graduating and are unlikely to take an AHL deal over the NCAA.

In terms of ELC, few of them really stand out enough to me right now to say they deserve an ELC. Kawaguchi and Chaffee maybe, but they would be depth guys at best and are they good enough to take higher end roles in the AHL right away? At their ages, they need to be at least top 9 guys in the AHL from day one. We can't be giving deals to the Duszak's of the world every year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I feel like if that ever happens it's going to be limited to 1st round picks only, at least when it first happens. We'll see I guess. I doubt the CHL would ever be ok with a mass exodus of any 19 year old with NHL affiliation. It'd basically become an 18 year old league.

Not sure the CHL could stop the NHL from signing players if there was no agreement.

The agreement really seems like a we'll work together deal, and probably had a lot more clout when almost all players came through the CHL.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-draft-canadian-players-ten-year-low/

Now the above link is referencing Canadian players, but
CHL Model Is Being Challenged

According to the CHL website, “The Canadian Hockey League is the world’s largest development hockey league (and)…supplies more players to the National Hockey League than any other league”. That may be true, but they are now being challenged by new and improved player development programs like the USNTDP, and vastly improved hockey models in European countries. The result was a record low number of CHL draft picks this year in favor of US and European prospects.

I could see something like each NHL team getting 1 or 2 exceptions to the CHL servitude.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I feel like if that ever happens it's going to be limited to 1st round picks only, at least when it first happens. We'll see I guess. I doubt the CHL would ever be ok with a mass exodus of any 19 year old with NHL affiliation. It'd basically become an 18 year old league.

I think you will see a lot of the really high end guys move out, which will suck a bit, but it's not like the SDA's of the world would go to the AHL as D+2's. Most guys are not good enough to play in the AHL as 19 year olds. Most are not even good enough to make it as 20 or 21 year olds and have to go to the ECHL first. So I wouldn't say it would be a mass exodus. It would be guys like McMichael, Harley, maybe some of the late 01's like Rossi and Schneider, Robertson, etc.

The CHL will fight hard to make sure they can keep them for their revenue purposes, but there are ways they could work around it to improve the caliber of the league. Increase the number of OA's you can keep on a roster for example. Or just allow lesser guys to be showcased in bigger roles.

The other thing I want them to do is allow NHL teams to keep their CHL players' rights until they are no longer eligible to play in the CHL. It would incentivize more teams to draft CHL prospects, especially in the later rounds, and in some select cases may even entice certain teams to keep some of their borderline prospects (who would still be top players in the CHL) in the CHL for their OA's than trying to force them into their AHL or ECHL lineups because their rights would expire otherwise. It's ridiculous that you can only keep a CHL guy for one or two years when everywhere else you can keep them for 4+ years. Like in the NCAA, they even make it rolling (so if a guy transfers or does not go to the NCAA right away, you keep their rights longer). And that stays even if they leave the NCAA (or Europe or wherever).

Reactions: Jeypic

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Imo problem with this is it would be pretty bad for league attendance.

Take the stars out of the league and folks may opt to stay home

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies down 2-0 after 1.
Woll is terrible once again. The 2nd goal should be stopped.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I can't put 3.71 GAA and .885 SV% all on the team. Woll has really hurt the team with some of these goals. He's still young though, but this has been a bad start to his pro career. He's made big saves but it doesn't outweigh the rest of his performance.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Imo problem with this is it would be pretty bad for league attendance.

Take the stars out of the league and folks may opt to stay home

There really aren't that many, and really the individual's rights should supersede corporate ownership when it comes to earning a living.

How about the CHL clubs pay the kids what they could make in the AHL?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I can't put 3.71 GAA and .885 SV% all on the team. Woll has really hurt the team with some of these goals. He's still young though, but this has been a bad start to his pro career. He's made big saves but it doesn't outweigh the rest of his performance.
Meh the team has been awful for most of the year, a good chunk even when Keefe was still there.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Forward core filled with size instead of talent. Thats one big thing.
Losing Keefe also hurts.
Was hoping Gord Dineen was hanging around somewhere. He had a couple great years with the Marlies before we hired Keefe. But maybe we asked and he said no.

Not a fan of Moore so far but I'll give it time.

Agree on the forward group. Really we should be trying to cycle in some of the skilled guys from the Growlers a little better. We're kind of wasting them right now. Good to see Pooley up but we should see what guys like Luchuk or Estephan can do in an extended look.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Was hoping Gord Dineen was hanging around somewhere. He had a couple great years with the Marlies before we hired Keefe. But maybe we asked and he said no.

Not a fan of Moore so far but I'll give it time.

Agree on the forward group. Really we should be trying to cycle in some of the skilled guys from the Growlers a little better. We're kind of wasting them right now. Good to see Pooley up but we should see what guys like Luchuk or Estephan can do in an extended look.
Dineen was awful the one year as head coach. Do you mean Spott? He was terrific and took a roster to the conference finals that had no business going there. It's too bad he got hired by Vegas.

Reactions: saltming

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies lose 4-3. I'm near the point where I could care less about the result. Lilly playing well is the important thing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Has any one seen Rasanen play this year?

I see he got loaned from the khl to the Danish league and is still putting up pretty dismal numbers.....

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Has any one seen Rasanen play this year?

I see he got loaned from the khl to the Danish league and is still putting up pretty dismal numbers.....

He rarely plays, and it's not really his fault.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Dineen was awful the one year as head coach. Do you mean Spott? He was terrific and took a roster to the conference finals that had no business going there. It's too bad he got hired by Vegas.
They were 40-27-9 when Dineen was the head coach and they were up 2-0 in the first round before losing 3 straight to Grand Rapids. They didn't go far in the playoffs but that was a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->