Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Tbh I selfishly want Sandin and Liljegren to put up points and when they don't it sucks, but as long as they look good defensively, it's all good.

Bracco on the 4th line doesn't achieve anything, he needs to at least be on the 3rd line with some PP time to excel.

Emt8

Feb 11, 2019
I’ve read that if the leafs want to acquire a high quality player at the deadline they might have to give up Liljegren. Why are the leafs willing to trade Liljegren rather than Sandin? I haven’t watched either of them play in a while so I don’t know what sets them apart from each other.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I’ve read that if the leafs want to acquire a high quality player at the deadline they might have to give up Liljegren. Why are the leafs willing to trade Liljegren rather than Sandin? I haven’t watched either of them play in a while so I don’t know what sets them apart from each other.
Sandin is a year younger and already appears to be on par with Lliljegren.

We really shouldn't be trading either of them. Having them both on ELCs will be huge for this team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What would people think about giving Bracco a few games in Lindholm's spot?

Lindholm has been an offensive black hole but seems to be okay defensively. Would we lose enough defensively in this swap to make it not a good move?
There are honestly quite a few players who might be better than Lindholm. I don't think Babcock would ever consider Bracco to replace one of his penalty killers though

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Leafs aren't willing to trade either of them. I don't consider Dreger and Freidman to be the most reliable.
Sandin and Lilly are both very good and will be important to the team.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I was in Sarnia today visiting family and we all went to see the Sting beat Saginaw 7-6 in a shootout. Leaf draftee Ryan McGregor is the captain of the team and plays on both the first unit of the PK and the PP. Today he scored a goal and added two secondary assists, one of which was actually the key play that made the goal possible.

His goal was part of one of the more unusual chain of events I have ever seen. McGregor was on early in a PK and took a wicked wrist shot from the wing that seemed to go off the post into the net. The goal light came on but the ref waved it off. Sarnia killed the rest of the penalty with no stoppage of play and shortly after the penalty expired, McGregor set up an even strength goal on a neat two on one. This was the first stoppage since the McGregor shorthanded attempt so they reviewed that play. They ruledMcGregor’s shot a goal after all. This took the situation back to the time of that play. The second Sarnia goal was taken off the board as was McGregor’s assist. The Sting player whose penalty had been killed was put back in the box and the nearly two minutes played again.

McGregor also made a lovely play with about 30 second remaining in regulation setting up what should have been a sure goal but the Sting player missed the opportunity. He also saved the game late with a stellar defensive effort to break up a Saginaw rush.

Mcgregor is still slender but skates well. He is good in the face off circle and defensively responsible. The goal he scored was on a NHL caliber wrist shot.

The system is not deep in centres and I think I would lean towards signing him to an ELC, if today was at all typical of his play

Edit: keep Saginaw’s Cole Perfetti in mind for the 2020 draft.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Brooks is coming along very nicely now

Not really... He's been pretty invisible and the odd time pops up. He needs at least another year after this before he's even ready for an NHL shot.

Him, Timashov and Marchment are all prospects who the Leafs are probably comfortable with dealing from the Marlies to get something. Brooks and Timashov may get something decent as a secondary or tertiary piece in a larger deal, but he's going to need to really break out as a 2C next year (if he even gets the role in the first place) to even justify keeping him in the organization past his current contract. He's really just the center version of Timashov, but at least Timashov is starting to have some consistent games in the past month or so.

Reactions: LeafChief

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not really... He's been pretty invisible and the odd time pops up. He needs at least another year after this before he's even ready for an NHL shot.

Him, Timashov and Marchment are all prospects who the Leafs are probably comfortable with dealing from the Marlies to get something. Brooks and Timashov may get something decent as a secondary or tertiary piece in a larger deal, but he's going to need to really break out as a 2C next year (if he even gets the role in the first place) to even justify keeping him in the organization past his current contract. He's really just the center version of Timashov, but at least Timashov is starting to have some consistent games in the past month or so.

He looks very good in every Marlie game I have seen, he has a very impressive 2-way game, and the #1 center with Mueller out. Brooks missed 15 or so games earlier this season.

Timashov also has been playing well and has a nice 2-way game. Im not a fan of Marchment needs to put on 20 or so lbs, he was always getting knocked on his ass.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He looks very good in every Marlie game I have seen, he has a very impressive 2-way game, and the #1 center with Mueller out. Brooks missed 15 or so games earlier this season.

Timashov also has been playing well and has a nice 2-way game. Im not a fan of Marchment needs to put on 20 or so lbs, he was always getting knocked on his ass.

He's super inconsistent. A few games he looks like the best Marlie, but the other times he is really not good. Moore would be well over a PPG if he was consistent.

Reactions: LeafChief

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He's super inconsistent. A few games he looks like the best Marlie, but the other times he is really not good. Moore would be well over a PPG if he was consistent.
Brooks was not healthy earlier this season, he has been really trending upwards now, great hustle out there and really playing a Babcock type of center. Moore played a lot with Greening

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In the post game interview, Keefe was asked about players stepping up in the absences, and here is what he said about Bracco.

"You look at Brooks and Bracco, I think those are 2 guys that we'd like to see step up, and thats's exactly what happened here today. Bracco's been good for us all season, but with the players we have lost, it has to go to another level, and one of the things about him is with the energy and the passion that he has, it's a big part of our team on the bench, in the locker room, and those kind of things, so despite being a young guy, he's bringing that to the table. So that's an area he's stepping up, and he really wanted to win this game today. You could really tell from the passion he had starting on the bench and that manifested itself into positive energy and I think the team can feed off so, those are two guys there that are important for us.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Brooks was not healthy earlier this season, he has been really trending upwards now, great hustle out there and really playing a Babcock type of center. Moore played a lot with Greening

He missed the very beginning of the season. At this point, he should have no excuse. He's just been inconsistent all year, and it is on him now to be more consistent. There really is not excuse to only show up maybe 1/3 of the time. In fact, Brooks was most consistent right after he came back from his injury, and has not really been again since then.

He's not a guy who will make the NHL just based on his defense, which is fine but not amazing. He needs to be a top AHL producer and right now he's barely consistent enough to be average in his current role.

He has a lot of work to do, and right now is not doing enough to be in serious consideration for an NHL role. Dakota Joshua and Ryan McGregor could very well be new Marlies additions down the middle next year. Brooks should be dubbed the 2C next year behind some veteran 1C, but if he continues to be inconsistent while the other two are consistent, then he could end up way down the Marlies depth chart and without a contract after next year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He missed the very beginning of the season. At this point, he should have no excuse. He's just been inconsistent all year, and it is on him now to be more consistent. There really is not excuse to only show up maybe 1/3 of the time. In fact, Brooks was most consistent right after he came back from his injury, and has not really been again since then.

He's not a guy who will make the NHL just based on his defense, which is fine but not amazing. He needs to be a top AHL producer and right now he's barely consistent enough to be average in his current role.

He has a lot of work to do, and right now is not doing enough to be in serious consideration for an NHL role. Dakota Joshua and Ryan McGregor could very well be new Marlies additions down the middle next year. Brooks should be dubbed the 2C next year behind some veteran 1C, but if he continues to be inconsistent while the other two are consistent, then he could end up way down the Marlies depth chart and without a contract after next year.
Agreed.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

I was hoping that his offensive numbers from junior would begin to translate into his pro game by now.

It's not too late but he's looking like a career AHler so far. I hope he can figure it out as the Leafs can use the centre depth.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I was hoping that his offensive numbers from junior would begin to translate into his pro game by now.

It's not too late but he's looking like a career AHler so far. I hope he can figure it out as the Leafs can use the centre depth.

I don't think the Leafs are really that desperate. Their top 3 centers are locked in for the foreseeable future and Nylander should once again try to move back down the middle.

Gauthier is also a guy who looks like he could be the 4C for a while if we want him to be that guy. Even if he's not, finding a serviceable 4C is not difficult. Lindholm did well, Gauthier has done well, and I doubt Brooks would be any better than either of those two if he even makes it to the NHL in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad