Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Some random thoughts:

- Sandin is so good. Probably our best prospect. Seems to be more NHL ready at this point than Liljegren. Different skill sets but both are very good. Will be great to have them both on the NHL team over the next year or o on ELCs.

-Bracco is making a case for himself. If he keeps this up he's either going to play himself onto the team or another team is going to trade for him. Either way, it's great news for himself and for the Leafs.

-Grundstrom is quietly having a good rookie season points-wise. His play itself hasn't been as strong as it seemed last year when he came over from the SHL for the playoffs. If we can get that version of him going again, he's going to be a solid player for us.

-Liljegren is skating in full equipment again as per some on Twitter. Dubas alluded to the fact that he was going to be given a shot to come up after the all-star break and play in the NHL. I think it's best at this point that he finishes out the year in the AHL and probably pushes for a spot out of camp next season. I believe this works best for his expansion draft eligibility as well.

-Hollowell wasn't a pick I loved at the time but he's having an incredible season. Probably earned himself an ELC.

-Durzi also wasn't a pick I wanted in that spot. I'm optimistic that he's going to be quite steady but after his hot start, he has kind of tailed off a bit. Hopefully he can finish the season strong and play as a top 4 on the Marlies next season.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you roll the dice on Ryan McGregor?

I would. I don't see a whole lot of upside but I'm a sucker for good skating and hard working players. Already eclipsed his previous years totals and also 2nd in points on a pretty meh Sarnia team. Good trajectory for a 6th rounder.

We don't have a glut of contracts to deal with either. At worst, you have an AHL center for a few years.

He could pull a Piccinich and sign an AHL contract for a year or two to see how it goes.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marlies with an impressive 5-2 win over Syracuse.
Brooks 2 goals
Rosen 2 assists
Bracco also gets an assist

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
Boys are starting to heat up, add Sandin and Liljegren back into the lineup and the Marlies are going to be dangerous
Defense is playing well right now. Whom do these two guys replace that are presently playing well? How does Bormann get back into this lineup? I think he going to sit a lot more over the second half of the season. Thoughts?

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
Defense is playing well right now. Whom do these two guys replace that are presently playing well? How does Bormann get back into this lineup? I think he going to sit a lot more over the second half of the season. Thoughts?
Mistype. Borgman

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They usually just rotate the players in and out, when they have a lot of healthy players

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They usually just rotate the players in and out, when they have a lot of healthy players

This pretty much

Personally I'd line it up

Rosen Liljegren
Sandin Olesky
Borgman LoVerde

Younger developing player with a vet to lean/learn off, we can sub in Subban and Corrado when needed

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This pretty much

Personally I'd line it up

Rosen Liljegren
Sandin Olesky
Borgman LoVerde

Younger developing player with a vet to lean/learn off, we can sub in Subban and Corrado when needed
I like the idea of Olesky with Sandin.

Rosen and Liljegren work well together too.

Reactions: Kiwi

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
They play over literally anybody. As another mentioned run Rosen, Liljegren, Sandin, Borgman, Olesky, Loverde as the main 6. Corrado, Subban, Leblanc as extras.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Kind of a moot point, considering he ended up going lower than he did the first time. He did not develop as much as he was expected to, or else he would have been drafted higher than he was, not lower.

Florida wanted to sign him to an ELC but he refused to sign with them and they try to trade him. He went back into the draft, got redrafted and signed an ELC with his new team, he is 5th in AHL rookie scoring.

Last edited:

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Do you roll the dice on Ryan McGregor?

I would. I don't see a whole lot of upside but I'm a sucker for good skating and hard working players. Already eclipsed his previous years totals and also 2nd in points on a pretty meh Sarnia team. Good trajectory for a 6th rounder.

We don't have a glut of contracts to deal with either. At worst, you have an AHL center for a few years.

He could pull a Piccinich and sign an AHL contract for a year or two to see how it goes.
He was always a curious pick due to his lacking numbers. Maybe the Leafs spotted him as in a similar mold to hard-working types like Brown, Hyman, or Moore? Perhaps not elite offensive talents, but they project he can work himself into a 3rd-4th line role someday?

So, the question is just how good of a skater and how hard of a worker is he? His size isn't too bad at 6'1... how's his build? Only listed at 177lbs, but that's probably due to rise.

Also, having suggested Brown, Hyman, and Moore as comparables (not playing style-wise but as 'work hard' types), I should note that McGregor's only now scoring at a decent pace as a 19/20 year-old. Brown was an elite OHL scorer and Moore had great stats throughout college. Hyman was a late bloomer, but I presume McGregor's game is very different to Hyman's...

I'd guess he gets an AHL contract first, as SprDaVE suggests. Not worth burning a 50-contract slot for a 3-year ELC, but an OHL captain at 1.13 pts/game will get a pro contract somewhere.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Could the Marlies get Rasanen before his deal is up in the KHL? Seems like his game would better suit North American hockey.

I'm curious how they will handle the Sandin situation next year . 19 is very young for the NHL and i'd rather him be top pairing on the Marlies.

Our left side is pretty good with Rielly and Dermott.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Could the Marlies get Rasanen before his deal is up in the KHL? Seems like his game would better suit North American hockey.

I'm curious how they will handle the Sandin situation next year . 19 is very young for the NHL and i'd rather him be top pairing on the Marlies.

Our left side is pretty good with Rielly and Dermott.

As long as he stays in the KHL, we keep him indefinitely.

I am a little bit iffy on whether that applies to Dzierkals as well. I think it should, but apparently it does not (according to his agent)? Maybe because he went to Latvia for a little bit.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Zachary Bouthillier traded from Chicoutimi to Saint John. Should mean he becomes the bonafide #1 for the next year and a half, because he's far better than anything else they've got right now.

Unfortunately, Saint John is atrocious and may not even make the playoffs in the QMJHL, even though they have been trending in the right direction in the last little bit. So his numbers may get even worse than they are right now. With some of the moves they have made, including picking up Bouthillier, they may actually be able to slip into to the playoffs though.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Some random thoughts:

- Sandin is so good. Probably our best prospect. Seems to be more NHL ready at this point than Liljegren. Different skill sets but both are very good. Will be great to have them both on the NHL team over the next year or o on ELCs.

-Bracco is making a case for himself. If he keeps this up he's either going to play himself onto the team or another team is going to trade for him. Either way, it's great news for himself and for the Leafs.

-Grundstrom is quietly having a good rookie season points-wise. His play itself hasn't been as strong as it seemed last year when he came over from the SHL for the playoffs. If we can get that version of him going again, he's going to be a solid player for us.

-Liljegren is skating in full equipment again as per some on Twitter. Dubas alluded to the fact that he was going to be given a shot to come up after the all-star break and play in the NHL. I think it's best at this point that he finishes out the year in the AHL and probably pushes for a spot out of camp next season. I believe this works best for his expansion draft eligibility as well.

-Hollowell wasn't a pick I loved at the time but he's having an incredible season. Probably earned himself an ELC.

-Durzi also wasn't a pick I wanted in that spot. I'm optimistic that he's going to be quite steady but after his hot start, he has kind of tailed off a bit. Hopefully he can finish the season strong and play as a top 4 on the Marlies next season.

I've only been following the Marlies this year but I've been very disappointed with Grundstrom. I see a lot of people talking about him and I have no idea why.

I also don't really notice Bracco unless it is a PP, I would really like to see how many of his points come on the PP

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I've only been following the Marlies this year but I've been very disappointed with Grundstrom. I see a lot of people talking about him and I have no idea why.

I also don't really notice Bracco unless it is a PP, I would really like to see how many of his points come on the PP

1 G, 16A on the PP.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

What disappoints you with Grundstrom? He's a gritty player with some finishing skill. Most are excited because they see a power forward the leaf need in the lineup.
I'm used to people disliking Bracco but he has been working on his defensive game since he was traded to Windsor and even more so since arriving with the marlies. Now he is starting to find his game.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Going to the Marlies game today. Any idea if Sandin and Liljegren are playing? Not sure if Lilje's back from injury yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->