Prospect Info: Marlies and Prospects Discussion - 2018/19 Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some NCAA FA's: Jimmy Schuldt (LD), Max Veronneau (W/C), Ryan Kuffner (LW), Cale Morris (G).

Not overly high on any, but Morris is an interesting one. Basically burst onto the scene out of nowhere and posted monster numbers with little experience at this level.

Those are good names. There is also Matt Robson (G) from the U. of Minnesota.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs should be all over Felhaber. Hes dominating. Pretty sure hes up there to break records.

He played a few games for the Laval Rockets (Habs AHL) last season... They might have the inside track on him.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Mat Robson has interested me since he was at Leafs Development Camp.

Has there been any chatter of him looking to leave college after his season?

I’m pretty sure this is his final year with the Gophers.

Paul Hendricks even tweeted about him a little while ago - so I think the Leafs still have interest.

I’m a fan of his, having watched him play quite a bit the past. couple years. Hope the Leafs/Marlies manages to get him

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
Austin Keating is a guy who got passed up on 2 of his drafts so far. Is dominating the OHL this year with 1.44 ppg atm. Thats better than Josh Leivos 1.15 ppg on his senior year. I think this kid would be worthy of a pick. I would spend a 3rd-7th rounder on him and play him on the Marlies next season

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Leafs should be all over Felhaber. Hes dominating. Pretty sure hes up there to break records.

He played a few games for the Laval Rockets (Habs AHL) last season... They might have the inside track on him.

Felhaber was at our camp in 2016, which would have to count for something.
Also, its no secret that we need cheap depth players to fill out our roster, and our forward prospect depth isn't exactly all that impressive right now, especially with a guy like Grunstrom leaving.

Another forward free agent I'd be interested in is Nico Sturm, captain of Clarkson University. A big body that is said to be pretty good defensively... over a PPG in the NCAA...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Austin Keating is a guy who got passed up on 2 of his drafts so far. Is dominating the OHL this year with 1.44 ppg atm. Thats better than Josh Leivos 1.15 ppg on his senior year. I think this kid would be worthy of a pick. I would spend a 3rd-7th rounder on him and play him on the Marlies next season

Another camp invite, in 2017...

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think aquiring Muzzin is a good reminder that we shouldn't give up on Gordeev and probably shouldn't have given up on Middleton or even Mattinen.

Each large (LH) d-men, picked in the 4th-6th rounds... Muzzin and Gordeev were actually drafted in the same spot.

Pittsburgh elected not to sign Muzzin to an ELC after a 29P in 62 game campaign...

Leafs elected not to sign Middleton after a 24P in 64 game campaign, and now he's already playing well at the AHL level as a 20 year old.

Leafs elected not to sign Mattinen after a 30P in 64 game campaign, and now he's got 40P in 48 games as an OAer.

Gordeev already has 24P after just 42 games... and with his size and mobility, he's well worth a contract IMO.

Reactions: Magic Man

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I think aquiring Muzzin is a good reminder that we shouldn't give up on Gordeev and probably shouldn't have given up on Middleton or even Mattinen.

Each large (LH) d-men, picked in the 4th-6th rounds... Muzzin and Gordeev were actually drafted in the same spot.

Pittsburgh elected not to sign Muzzin to an ELC after a 29P in 62 game campaign...

Leafs elected not to sign Middleton after a 24P in 64 game campaign, and now he's already playing well at the AHL level as a 20 year old.

Leafs elected not to sign Mattinen after a 30P in 64 game campaign, and now he's got 40P in 48 games as an OAer.

Gordeev already has 24P after just 42 games... and with his size and mobility, he's well worth a contract IMO.
Muzzin's the exception, not the rule. Generally, if you can't manage to put up 0.5 PPG as a D-man in the CHL, especially in your D+1 or D+2, you're a long shot to even be an AHLer.

Gordeev is the only one that intrigues me because he's a converted forward who has decent puck skills, but the odds are certainly against him, too.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It is possible the Leafs can try to turn him back into a forward, decently skilled big dude that's aggressive.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think only 7 guys have put up 70 goals in the OHL before. He's on pace do it this year.

Gilmour, Lindros, Tavares are on that list. And I think only 1 of the other 4 haven't have a 30 goal season in the NHL. Its not a guarantee of NHL success, but it means you're pretty damn good.

Reactions: CiscoSeville

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

He's benefitting from riding shotgun with Felhaber. He's really not that good.

He went nearly a PPG in his draft year and went undrafted. Got worse as a D+1. Then his assist totals skyrocketed, because he's a pass-first player on a line with a guy who scores a lot of goals, but he's not been able to score. He should be potting more goals than he has been, regardless of who he is playing with and how many, or few, goals they score.

I'd say at best he ends up being a 5th rounder like Saigeon was, but he's going to score a lot fewer goals, is a lot smaller, and will need a monster playoffs like Saigeon had for that to happen. So more than likely, he goes even lower or undrafted. Maybe some team gives him a shot, but I like a lot of other D+2 forwards out of the CHL (or just players in general) before him...

Namely, Brett Neumann. Another former Leafs invitee. He too will need a rather large playoffs, but he could end up being a late 4th rounder. He's shown he can drive an entire team in the OHL, even with no talent around him. They were not all that successful, but that's still very impressive.

I doubt either end up make it on many 100 player draft boards TBH though.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Can someone please give a firm and confident answer as to whether we still own Dzierkals rights and for how long?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Firm and confident answer: Yes...

For how long? I don't know :p.

Edit: If you trust Capfriendly: Toronto Maple Leafs Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's weird- by assigning him a June 1 2019 expiry date they're treating him like a standard North American drafted Junior that left junior after the second season - which he did.

But he was drafted from a non-transfer agreement league, came over played junior plus an echl year, and has since defected back to a non-transfer league. To my reading, that should equal indefinite (to age 27) rights, like it did with Fabrice Herzog. Dzierkals stayed in NA longer than Herzog, but in both cases we would have made a bona-fide offer...

I don't know, be interesting to know if it's Cap Friendly's determination or if they have insight into the actual reserve list registry

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's weird- by assigning him a June 1 2019 expiry date they're treating him like a standard North American drafted Junior that left junior after the second season - which he did.

But he was drafted from a non-transfer agreement league, came over played junior plus an echl year, and has since defected back to a non-transfer league. To my reading, that should equal indefinite (to age 27) rights, like it did with Fabrice Herzog. Dzierkals stayed in NA longer than Herzog, but in both cases we would have made a bona-fide offer...

I don't know, be interesting to know if it's Cap Friendly's determination or if they have insight into the actual reserve list registry

I think if it were true, and the Leafs did value him as much as they apparently did (by not granting him a trade or just throwing him into one), they would trade his rights before they expired (i.e. at the TDL). There are worse and older Euro-FA's given contracts each year.

I can especially see SJS being interested, because they drafted two Latvians in his year, and they are always in the market for really obscure and much lower upside Euros anyways. Whether they give us a late round pick or something for him is another question, but I think he is worth it for the exclusive rights if Vesey and others were worth one.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Didn't he only have 1 assist in his first 20 games? Now has 12 points in 30? What's been going on there?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I.... what?

"I was initially surprised that Timothy Liljegren wasn’t included. But, after looking deeper, teams are down on him right now. He’s not yet 20 — way too soon to give up — but several scouts were not surprised the Kings chose OHL Guelph’s Sean Durzi over Liljegren."

From Friedman's 31 thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->