Marleau vs Mogilny

Marleau vs Mogilny

• Total voters

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Wow... didnt expect that big of a difference

Dont remember watching Mogilny, but kind of compared the signings since we got stars towards the end of their careers in both. I guess I need to go watch some Mogilny highlights

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I voted for Mogiliny. Watched him growing up. He was magical on the ice in his early career. Would also recommend watching the video below. Great and amazing story.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Wow... didnt expect that big of a difference

Dont remember watching Mogilny, but kind of compared the signings since we got stars towards the end of their careers in both. I guess I need to go watch some Mogilny highlights

Mogilny led the team in scoring one year as well.

Different points in their careers, so it's unfair to Malreau.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
the strange thing is that Marleau might actually make it into the HOF but Mogilny will remain on the outside looking in.

talent wise, in their primes, Mogilny may have been the best Russian to come out of the Soviet Union and play in the NHL. better than Larionov. Better than Fetisov. Better than Fedorov. Better than Bure. He was seriously that good and even as he was approaching his mid-30s on the Leafs, he played an elite and complete game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the strange thing is that Marleau might actually make it into the HOF but Mogilny will remain on the outside looking in.

talent wise, in their primes, Mogilny may have been the best Russian to come out of the Soviet Union and play in the NHL. better than Larionov. Better than Fetisov. Better than Fedorov. Better than Bure. He was seriously that good and even as he was approaching his mid-30s on the Leafs, he played an elite and complete game.

Mogilny was awesome. Not sure if I'd put him ahead of Fedorov though, they're on roughly the same tier IMO. As far as Fetisov and Larionov go, those guys were past their prime when they arrived in the NHL so not a fair comparison (and I have no idea how to go about comparing them in their primes but I think I'd take the legendary Fetisov over the other two).

And yeah, Mogilny >>>> Marleau. Marleau in the HOF and Mogilny outside looking would be a travesty, not sure how Mogilny isn't in there.

Reactions: WilliamInLondon

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I would bet that most of the few people who picked Marleau are too young to really remember Mogilny.

From watching them playing in and for Russia, I would put Mogilny second to only Valeri Kharlamov in sheer talent.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Top 15 in points(2003) during the absolute height of the dead puck era? What frog said was actually accurate.

No, it wasn't accurate. He was not "still as good as in his prime" in Toronto.

In his prime, he had seasons like scoring 76 goals and leading the league in goals. In his prime he had a 127 point season (which would mean no Maple Leaf player in the history of the franchise would have scored more than him in a season.) He had 55 goals and 107 points as a Vancouver Canuck.

By the time he got to the Maple Leafs, he was still a very talented, dynamic player but to say he was "still as good as in his prime" is a ridiculous claim.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

In his prime, he had seasons like scoring 76 goals and leading the league in goals. In his prime he had a 127 point season [B{(which would mean no Maple Leaf player in the history of the franchise would have scored more than him in a season.)[/B] He had 55 goals and 107 points as a Vancouver Canuck.

By the time he got to the Maple Leafs, he was still a very talented, dynamic player but to say he was "still as good as in his prime" is a ridiculous claim.

Gilmour ties Mogilny for career high in points and he did it with the Leafs. I know that’s not more like you said, but the way it was worded made it seem like no one was even close.

I don’t dispute that Mogilny wasn’t in his prime with Toronto. Still a very good player, but he had higher levels of performance beforehand.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
More like a poor man's Roberts, really. he's about as effective as Robert's was towards the end of his tenure with the Leafs.
I'd take that Gary in a heartbeat right now and put him with Matthews.
A much better Hyman.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

In his prime, he had seasons like scoring 76 goals and leading the league in goals. In his prime he had a 127 point season (which would mean no Maple Leaf player in the history of the franchise would have scored more than him in a season.) He had 55 goals and 107 points as a Vancouver Canuck.

Mogilny had exactly *2* crazy years where he overperformed like nuts, but he wasn't like a Pavel Bure. for instance. who could sustain more than a PPG or multiple 50+ goal seasons in a row his prime. Most of Mogilny's prime years, between 90-200 he was a PPG player who could be counted on for 30-40 goals when healthy. And, to be fair, he was that for the Leafs.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Mogilny had exactly *2* crazy years where he overperformed like nuts, but he wasn't like a Pavel Bure. for instance. who could sustain more than a PPG or multiple 50+ goal seasons in a row his prime. Most of Mogilny's prime years, between 90-200 he was a PPG player who could be counted on for 30-40 goals when healthy. And, to be fair, he was that for the Leafs.

It's pretty simple: his prime seasons were in Buffalo and Vancouver. He performed there at a much higher level than he did with Toronto.

Why you are arguing about his consistency or the quality of his play as a Maple Leaf is beyond me. It has nothing to do with what was said. The post I responded to claimed he was as good as a Leaf as he was in his peak seasons which was an absurd claim and nothing you've said here changes that or even addresses it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad