Marleau nominated for Masterton -- NAMED FINALIST

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I feel like your betting odds have to be:

1) Lindblom. Cancer sucks.
2) Stamkos. Injuries suck, and he's persevered through lots of 'em
3) Campbell. Backup on his third team setting records in Toronto.
4) Marleau. Made the mistake of breaking the record while not a Leaf anymore.
5) Everybody else's old guys (Chara, Smith, Perry, Lucic, Backes, Rinne, Miller, Staal)
12) Fleury
31) Dreidger. Dude, don't worry about it. You'll get paid next year.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
If he doesn’t win....

At the risk of being insensitive I don’t like that this award has seemed to become the biggest tragedy/sickness of the season award. The guy with the most games ever getting passed up on the award for dedication to the sport would be criminal.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
If he doesn’t win....

At the risk of being insensitive I don’t like that this award has seemed to become the biggest tragedy/sickness of the season award. The guy with the most games ever getting passed up on the award for dedication to the sport would be criminal.
I dunno, I can kind of see it both ways. Obviously, Marleau playing the most games of all time with what, the 5th-longest ironman streak on the way? is a fantastic achievement and deserving of recognition. But is it meaningfully more dedication than Phil Kessel playing 900 games? More than a guy coming back from cancer and not just living, but getting back to the highest level of competition? More than Tyler Seguin coming out of a wheelchair to play NHL games again in less than a year?

The aspect of "who had the worst shit happen to them this year?" is pretty gross, I agree. But sometimes stuff happens that you'd applaud a guy for just getting through, let alone coming back to hockey. I guess for me, it's not so much about things like Brian Boyle surviving cancer and still playing, but about him loving what he does so much that cancer couldn't stop him from doing it. For me, the best argument for Marleau winning isn't the number. It's his response to Drew asking "after all these years, what keeps you coming to the rink every day?"

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If Marleau wins it, will the Sharks get to hang a banner in the rafters?

This might be the highlight of this season as a Sharks fan for me. Unless they win the lottery.

Do they have the "Swiss Cheese" award for Jones? lol.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

This might be the highlight of this season as a Sharks fan for me. Unless they win the lottery.

Too bad they can't win the lottery.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

They didn't when Granton won it (came back from brain tumor).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I dunno, I can kind of see it both ways. Obviously, Marleau playing the most games of all time with what, the 5th-longest ironman streak on the way? is a fantastic achievement and deserving of recognition. But is it meaningfully more dedication than Phil Kessel playing 900 games? More than a guy coming back from cancer and not just living, but getting back to the highest level of competition? More than Tyler Seguin coming out of a wheelchair to play NHL games again in less than a year?

The aspect of "who had the worst shit happen to them this year?" is pretty gross, I agree. But sometimes stuff happens that you'd applaud a guy for just getting through, let alone coming back to hockey. I guess for me, it's not so much about things like Brian Boyle surviving cancer and still playing, but about him loving what he does so much that cancer couldn't stop him from doing it. For me, the best argument for Marleau winning isn't the number. It's his response to Drew asking "after all these years, what keeps you coming to the rink every day?"

Fantastic post.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
After having virtually no effect on me the fact that today is very, very likely his last game is hitting me like a ton of bricks. He’s been playing since I was still in middle school for god sakes.

Better hydrate.

Reactions: Sandisfan

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
If he doesn’t win....

Also, didn't Lindblom come back last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad