Value of: Marleau buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Many have theorized that the Leafs will pay a team to buy out Marleau, then sign him back to a cheaper contract. What will the Leafs have to give up?

I have confidence that the rational and fair minded people of HF can reach a consensus.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Look at Orpik last year

Well, If I remember right the NHL went through a fairly thorough questioning process with the Caps afterward and I don’t think they’ll be keen to allow that kind of thing become regular practice.

A 2nd for Grubauer was fair, then Orpik was a pure cap dump. The other part of the deal was the new contract he signed was incentive heavy enough that he would have made the same amount $ wise if he hit those incentives.

I think it was more Colorado taking him and not having a use for him than they were bribed to dump him. What OP is speculating on would certainly not be OK with the NHL.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Well, If I remember right the NHL went through a fairly thorough questioning process with the Caps afterword and I don’t think they’ll be keen to allow that kind of thing become regular practice.

A 2nd for Grubauer was fair, then Orpik was a pure cap dump. The other part of the deal was the new contract he signed was incentive heavy enough that he would have made the same amount $ wise if he hit those incentives.

I think it was more Colorado taking him and not having a use for him than they were bribed to dump him. What OP is speculating on would certainly not be OK with the NHL.

Perfect so they set a precedence the leafs can do it and use that to appeal any fine if one comes. Even if they throw the book here the leafs will still get a reduced penalty which will more than be worth not having a 6.25 million Marleau.

Also I’d just trade him and not re sign him even if he’s baught our

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Well, If I remember right the NHL went through a fairly thorough questioning process with the Caps afterward and I don’t think they’ll be keen to allow that kind of thing become regular practice.

So if the exact same thing happened with the exact same answers to the exact same questions. The NHL would not be ok with Toronto doing it?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Perfect so they set a precedence the leafs can do it and use that to appeal any fine if one comes. Even if they throw the book here the leafs will still get a reduced penalty which will more than be worth not having a 6.25 million Marleau.

Oh, I think it would be a bit more damaging than a fine. The last time a team tried to circumvent the cap they lost their first rounder... and you don’t have Lou to work his scary old Mr Burns voodoo to get one back again. I don’t think the risk is worth it. Just pay to trade him to New Jersey or Arizona and be done with it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

The real problem is that the buyout period is before the signing bonus. Which is buyout proof. So I don’t know how that works.

Reactions: DarthProbert

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Can the Leafs pay Marleau's signing bonus prior to July 1st? That would make his contract much more appealing to teams like Ottawa and Arizona who probably wouldn't be too concerned about 6.25M of dead cap space.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So if the exact same thing happened with the exact same answers to the exact same questions. The NHL would not be ok with Toronto doing it?

It was a hockey trade with a cap dump aspect, with very little evidence that the Avs were then further compensated to buy Orpik out and certainly not to benefit the Caps.

Essentially I think you’d have to replicate the deal to a degree - Marleau+asset for player - and you’d have to do it carefully enough that the league wouldn’t bust you, and THEN you’d have to be able to prove that you didn’t conspire to have the team that traded for him buy him out, and you’d ALSO have to prove that there were no prior conversations with the player or the agent regarding what the plan was.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006

The problem is he has a NMC and may not agree to a trade otherwise.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It was a hockey trade with a cap dump aspect, with very little evidence that the Avs were then further compensated to buy Orpik out and certainly not to benefit the Caps.

Essentially I think you’d have to replicate the deal to a degree - Marleau+asset for player - and you’d have to do it carefully enough that the league wouldn’t bust you, and THEN you’d have to be able to prove that you didn’t conspire to have the team that traded for him buy him out, and you’d ALSO have to prove that there were no prior conversations with the player or the agent regarding what the plan was.

So what they just changed their mind? Ok....

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
A quote regarding the Orpik buyout from September.

According to Friedman, “A couple of weeks ago, the league notified the individual clubs that it reviewed the situation, and explained its concerns. Teams viewed the memo as a warning, that if the NHL could make an example of someone, it would.”

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So what they just changed their mind? Ok....

I think they took him on with the full intention of buying him out as part of the price they had to pay to get Grubauer, who they viewed as their next starter. They didn’t do so because they were bribed, and they didn’t do it to benefit the Caps.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I think they took him on with the full intention of buying him out as part of the price they had to pay to get Grubauer, who they viewed as their next starter. They didn’t do so because they were bribed, and they didn’t do it to benefit the Caps.
How would this be any different?

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Many have theorized that the Leafs will pay a team to buy out Marleau, then sign him back to a cheaper contract. What will the Leafs have to give up?

I have confidence that the rational and fair minded people of HF can reach a consensus.

????? thread is illogical. You can not buy out and then resign. Also, you can not trade him to another team, have that team buy him out and then resign him as well.

also his buyout?

Patrick Marleau Buyout Details

This is a 35-plus contract and therefore the buyout has no effect on the players cap hit. Please see the Buyout FAQ for more information
Cost Calculations

Patrick Marleau Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019$1,250,000$3,000,00012392/3$833,333$416,667$416,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONBASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITACTUAL COSTSAVINGSFINAL CAP HIT
2019-20$1,250,000$6,250,000$416,667$833,333$6,250,000
2020-21$0$0$416,667-$416,667$0
TOTAL$1,250,000$6,250,000$833,333$416,667$6,250,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Marleau has a NMC, Orpik did not have any NTC of any sort. I doubt the league would let this slide. Besides for that, I don't think Toronto or Marleau are interested in even attempting this.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

So toronto could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->