Confirmed with Link: Markus Nutivaara traded to FLA for Cliff Pu

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm the guy still complaining about the 5th rounder for Kinkaid, I give my honest opinion. I just don't get what your alternative plan was with Nutivaara. He signed that big $2.7m deal and then got injured and lost his effectiveness, and tumbled out of the starting lineup. That's just an unfortunate situation, and you're sitting here with your bucket of tar and bag of feathers.

$2.7m isn't "big" for an NHL caliber player. He's played the 15th most nhl games of *ANY* 2015 draftee - the literal definition of late round diamond in the rough - and Jarmo flipped him for a guy who spent last season in the ECHL.

It's bad asset management.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
$2.7m isn't "big" for an NHL caliber player. He's played the 15th most nhl games of *ANY* 2015 draftee - the literal definition of late round diamond in the rough - and Jarmo flipped him for a guy who spent last season in the ECHL.

So he shoulda just bought him out then?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

My rough sense is that $2.7m is an okay deal for a #5 D, which is about what Nuti seems to be as a player. But given that he was our #7 (Torts clearly preferred Kukan) and Peeke was coming on possibly to move him down to #8, it was just a wasted $2.7m to us and we had no opportunity to redeem Nuti as an asset by moving him up the lineup. Gavrikov, Kukan, Peeke weren't going anywhere. So it was a position where you have to move him for what you can, his value will only go lower if you don't have him playing good minutes in your lineup and playing well. And it's usually a safe assumption that the GM would have accepted more value if he could get it. You think someone was offering a real asset in return and Jarmo preferred Pu?

Don't bother to go on about where a guy was drafted or what he did years ago, that's all old news / sunk cost.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Why was he moved at all?

My theory on this is:

1. They clearly needed to move salary for whatever reason -- internal cap, make room for other players, etc. Because of our defensive depth Nuti (and Murray) was deemed expendable.
2. Perhaps they wanted to move other players instead of Nuti such as a Harrington but nobody wanted him even as a straight cap dump.
3. Gabriel Carlson will be waiver-wire eligible this year so they don't want to lose him and Peeke is NHL ready. Both are also cheaper options than Nuti/Murray.
4. Jarmo himself called this a "soft" deal so he knows he didn't get the value he wanted but such is life in a COVID flat cap/internal budget world right now.

We will still go 8 to 9 deep with guys who can play top 6 minutes and hopefully Jarmo can now take advantage of a bargain deal on a quality forward and depth D before it's all said and done.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
hopefully Jarmo can now take advantage of a bargain deal on a quality forward and depth D before it's all said and done.

I think the inn might be full.

If the guys outside of your starting 6D are Clendening, Bayreuther, Harrington, and Carlsson, then I'm fine with that. Not the great depth we've been accustomed to, but squarely average.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
My theory on this is:

1. They clearly needed to move salary for whatever reason -- internal cap, make room for other players, etc. Because of our defensive depth Nuti (and Murray) was deemed expendable.
2. Perhaps they wanted to move other players instead of Nuti such as a Harrington but nobody wanted him even as a straight cap dump.
3. Gabriel Carlson will be waiver-wire eligible this year so they don't want to lose him and Peeke is NHL ready. Both are also cheaper options than Nuti/Murray.
4. Jarmo himself called this a "soft" deal so he knows he didn't get the value he wanted but such is life in a COVID flat cap/internal budget world right now.

We will still go 8 to 9 deep with guys who can play top 6 minutes and hopefully Jarmo can now take advantage of a bargain deal on a quality forward and depth D before it's all said and done.

Harrington can't play top 6 minutes effectively. He's terrible. I'm ok with Clendening in a limited/sheltered role. No idea about the rest. So I would disagree about being 8 or 9 deep on the blue line.

Reactions: GoJackets1

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Ok, now why wasn't this standard applied to Scott Harrington?

Nutivaara is making an extra 1 million dollars on the cap the next two seasons compared to Harrington. Then, in a closer look- Nutivaara is due to make 3.3 million from ownership in the year 2021-2022. Jarmo/Management probably prefer the cheaper D-man.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Nutivaara is making an extra 1 million dollars on the cap the next two seasons compared to Harrington. Then, in a closer look- Nutivaara is due to make 3.3 million from ownership in the year 2021-2022. Jarmo/Management probably prefer the cheaper D-man.

This logic only makes sense if ownership isn't interested in spending what's necessary to be Cup contenders so....yeah, it checks out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad