Player Discussion Markus Granlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
This is the problem with the Canucks, they don't have enough top end talent to drive the possession, force the other teams to hard match and give the Canucks bottom 6 lines better matchups. The top teams have that and their bottom 6 benefits and provide the team with better possession numbers.

Canucks need to find a way to move on from a few of the gluten of middle/bottom 6 forwards they have and find a way to replace them with smart skilled top 6 forwards.

Who ever of the Granlund, Leivo, Pearson, Sutter, Motte, Spooner, Eriksson's they move on from is irrelevant to me as long as they can sign or trade for more speed, skill and smarts
THey've got to move on from those guys to back fill the positions though. Say they sign 2 top 6 wingers. That forces everyone down a line, and that means that some of those guys get pushed off the roster.

It is literally what needs to be done. If they can force Loui to retire and don't want to embarass him like they did with Gagner, then they have to make a concerted effort to open up spots in the lineup, and Granlund IMO along with Sutter should be the first two to go.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
THey've got to move on from those guys to back fill the positions though. Say they sign 2 top 6 wingers. That forces everyone down a line, and that means that some of those guys get pushed off the roster.

It is literally what needs to be done. If they can force Loui to retire and don't want to embarass him like they did with Gagner, then they have to make a concerted effort to open up spots in the lineup, and Granlund IMO along with Sutter should be the first two to go.
Embarrass Gagner? WTF????? He embarrassed Elmer! Play like **** then get assigned to our AHL RIVAL (nevermind our center depth on the Comets is so bad, freaking Gaunce is arguably the best center there) all the while collecting millions.

Reactions: Luckylarry

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Somehow this guy is overrated. He plays over 15 minutes a night and has slightly more points than Alex Biega. He is at best a net zero, low event piece of filler you generally forget exists for long periods. The Canucks could not possibly be any worse without him. You could basically replace him with any number of guys waiting for a chance in the league.

The only reason he's still on the roster is Benning's perverse veteran loyalty issue.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The additions of Pearson and Leivo, as well as the development from Gaudette and MacEwan has pushed Granlund out of the line-up. It is much easier pushing a guy like Granlund off the puck opposed to MacEwan which is why MacEwan is a better player for this roster, he can wear defencemen down which is key in playoff series.

Jasek is also a similarish player that will be pushing for a spot if we ever need a Granlund player back.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The additions of Pearson and Leivo, as well as the development from Gaudette and MacEwan has pushed Granlund out of the line-up. It is much easier pushing a guy like Granlund off the puck opposed to MacEwan which is why MacEwan is a better player for this roster, he can wear defencemen down which is key in playoff series.

Jasek is also a similarish player that will be pushing for a spot if we ever need a Granlund player back.

giphy.gif

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He is overdeployed.

He is fine as a depth forward.

I really think he is getting WAY too much attention from HFBoards. We have Eriksson, Beagle, Schaller and Sutter on this team too...

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
He is overdeployed.

He is fine as a depth forward.

I really think he is getting WAY too much attention from HFBoards. We have Eriksson, Beagle, Schaller and Sutter on this team too...

And everyone you listed needs to go as well if the Canucks are ever going to be good again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Against all odds, Granlund has actually survived four seasons in VanCity. Of course the fact the Canucks were a lottery team laggard in those four years isn't incidental.

He's one of those guys the Canucks have to move on from, even if he goes somewhere else and performs better. But the Canucks have a number of those guys, including Sutter, Tanev, Schaller, Hutton, Pouliot and possibly Goldy.

It they're in your lineup next season, it basically means the team isn't improving.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I'd rather have him at 2W than 3C - he's basically unplayable as a center where is sluggish skating gets magnified and his inability to win more than 40% of faceoffs becomes an issue. That said, he's godawful as a scoring-line winger.
Didn’t he sign with the Oilers? or was I dreaming the whole thing?

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I'd rather have him at 2W than 3C - he's basically unplayable as a center where is sluggish skating gets magnified and his inability to win more than 40% of faceoffs becomes an issue. That said, he's godawful as a scoring-line winger.

oh damn, I at least assumed he had speed to his game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
oh damn, I at least assumed he had speed to his game.

Unfortunately he's both a slow skater and a lazy one who doesn't move his feet. Or rarely moves his feet, at least - once or twice a year he'll have a few game stretch where he has a spurt of energy and actually hustles and gets involved a bit and looks considerably less awful.

He's a pretty high-IQ guy with ok hands who can kinda float around in decent position as a winger on a defensive 3rd line and not be utterly horrible but not very good either. Anywhere else in your top-9 and he's an outright liability.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are we turning this into a player appreciation thread for Markus "Swede Army Knife" Granlund?

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
After Eriksson, Granlund to me was the most forgettable player on this roster which was no easy feat.

Glad to see him gone, especially to Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad