Player Discussion Markus Granlund

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
He's terrible and not a piece you have in a team mired in rebuilding mediocrity, and should be jettisoned off the team.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
It is embarrassing that anyone can watch this player for four years (holy **** hes been here that long) and come to the conclusion that he should be given another chance to be anywhere near an NHL roster

What's embarassing is this hyperbolic BS. He has 11 goals, is an average possession player for the Canucks (-0.1% RelCF), while starting in DZone 58.3% of the time.

I'm all for moving on from Granlund and trying to get younger and more skilled, but FFS let's be rational about how good/bad he is.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What's embarassing is this hyperbolic BS. He has 11 goals, is an average possession player for the Canucks (-0.1% RelCF), while starting in DZone 58.3% of the time.

I'm all for moving on from Granlund and trying to get younger and more skilled, but FFS let's be rational about how good/bad he is.
He's vanilla, he doesn't move the needle offensively or defensively, plays 15-16 minutes to put up 4th line production.

Bleeds goals, no matter the role.

He's not a good player. In 3 years in Vancouver (which encompasses his outlier 19 goal campaign) at 5 on 5 the Canucks have scored 65 goals and given up 98.

He has 3 goals and 1 assist in his past 27 games.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The only archaic player on that line is Beagle.
Macewen isn't ready for full time NHL duty as far as I'm concerned.

1 point in his past 10, in the AHL.

Not writing him off, but people have got to stop penciling him into NHL lineups.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
He's vanilla, he doesn't move the needle offensively or defensively, plays 15-16 minutes to put up 4th line production.

Bleeds goals, no matter the role.

He's not a good player. In 3 years in Vancouver (which encompasses his outlier 19 goal campaign) at 5 on 5 the Canucks have scored 65 goals and given up 98.

He has 3 goals and 1 assist in his past 27 games.

Macewen isn't ready for full time NHL duty as far as I'm concerned.

1 point in his past 10, in the AHL.

Not writing him off, but people have got to stop penciling him into NHL lineups.

One thing I think gets DRASTICALLY overlooked is having the correct players playing the correct roles and how that effects how well a team plays.

If the Canucks can fill out the top 6 correctly and can score more, a lot these bottom 6 issues will resolve themselves.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
One thing I think gets DRASTICALLY overlooked is having the correct players playing the correct roles and how that effects how well a team plays.

If the Canucks can fill out the top 6 correctly and can score more, a lot these bottom 6 issues will resolve themselves.
Yeah, and Granlund isn't part of the solution to these problems.

If he doesn't get the 15-16 minutes he doesn't even produce what little he has, so if he's dropped to 11-12, he really doesn't do anything to help the team.

They need to move on. Teams looking to progress don't roll out this guy for 4 years in a row.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Too many bodies, Granlund will be gone.

Baerschi-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte
Spooner Goldobin Macewen
Out: Sutter, Granlund, Schaller

Without Sutter, Granlund and Schaller there is still a log jam and the Canucks will probably add a top 6 scoring winger in free agency.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes it's just time for a player and team to party company. Granlund is an average depth forward and pk'er who was acquired for a failed prospect in Shinkaruk, so anything they got out of him for the past four seasons was a bonus.

But this has to be a summer of dramatic change for the Canucks. And they just have to move on from guys like Granlund, Schaller, Pouliot, Eriksson and Sutter, and possibly even Tanev and Edler. If Edler want three years, don't see how they can justify it.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Too many bodies, Granlund will be gone.

Baerschi-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte
Spooner Goldobin Macewen
Out: Sutter, Granlund, Schaller

Without Sutter, Granlund and Schaller there is still a log jam and the Canucks will probably add a top 6 scoring winger in free agency.
Problem is, it's hardly quality depth. Elmer has managed to acquire a monopoly of marginal 3rd liners to 4th liners.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Yeah, and Granlund isn't part of the solution to these problems.

If he doesn't get the 15-16 minutes he doesn't even produce what little he has, so if he's dropped to 11-12, he really doesn't do anything to help the team.

They need to move on. Teams looking to progress don't roll out this guy for 4 years in a row.

I'm not trying to say they need to keep Granlund. Just that he's still an okay option going into next season, he may be cheaper than other options too.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

You can't be a real contender in today's league by just relying on your top line players. You need consistent scoring from your depth players as well. I have no idea how someone can watch Granlund this year and think he's a good option. He bleeds scoring chances against (his corsi is 46.5%). And you can say that's just a product of defensive zone starts, but the fact of the matter is very rarely are you going to have a bottom 6 line being deployed in the offensive zone anyways. You need players that can move the puck out of their own end, and Granlund (and his linemates) simply don't do that.

*EDIT* Not picking on your post in particular, just speaking generally that Granlund neeeds to go. I cannot endure another season watching this plug again.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I was just thinking of Granlund today and posited this on the main trade board

Fundamentally, I think Granlund can play in the NHL, but the Canucks just have a lot of options at forward right now and Granlund has a hard time standing out in a particular area.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I was just thinking of Granlund today and posited this on the main trade board

Fundamentally, I think Granlund can play in the NHL, but the Canucks just have a lot of options at forward right now and Granlund has a hard time standing out in a particular area.
I actually think Granlund is better than some of those options but as I said before, garbage like Schaller is already signed beyond this season.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
You can't be a real contender in today's league by just relying on your top line players. You need consistent scoring from your depth players as well. I have no idea how someone can watch Granlund this year and think he's a good option. He bleeds scoring chances against (his corsi is 46.5%). And you can say that's just a product of defensive zone starts, but the fact of the matter is very rarely are you going to have a bottom 6 line being deployed in the offensive zone anyways. You need players that can move the puck out of their own end, and Granlund (and his linemates) simply don't do that.

*EDIT* Not picking on your post in particular, just speaking generally that Granlund neeeds to go. I cannot endure another season watching this plug again.

This is the problem with the Canucks, they don't have enough top end talent to drive the possession, force the other teams to hard match and give the Canucks bottom 6 lines better matchups. The top teams have that and their bottom 6 benefits and provide the team with better possession numbers.

Canucks need to find a way to move on from a few of the gluten of middle/bottom 6 forwards they have and find a way to replace them with smart skilled top 6 forwards.

Who ever of the Granlund, Leivo, Pearson, Sutter, Motte, Spooner, Eriksson's they move on from is irrelevant to me as long as they can sign or trade for more speed, skill and smarts

Reactions: Hit the post

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Please god let us get rid of the king of the floaters. You talk about battle and intangibles. This guy is the wrong person on the team if you want effort and drive. I'm sick of watching him let up a step or take circuitous routes to the puck to avoid contact. He won't even skate for breakaway passes half the time for god's sake.

I don't think stats are his friend either, especially his midseason PK-ing, which was supposedly one of his strengths.

No, this is not hyperbole. If you don't see him dogging it out there constantly, you aren't watching hockey, or you don't know what to look for. And 1-2 fluke games every 20 doesn't constitute consistent effort.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
This is the problem with the Canucks, they don't have enough top end talent to drive the possession, force the other teams to hard match and give the Canucks bottom 6 lines better matchups. The top teams have that and their bottom 6 benefits and provide the team with better possession numbers.

Canucks need to find a way to move on from a few of the gluten of middle/bottom 6 forwards they have and find a way to replace them with smart skilled top 6 forwards.

Who ever of the Granlund, Leivo, Pearson, Sutter, Motte, Spooner, Eriksson's they move on from is irrelevant to me as long as they can sign or trade for more speed, skill and smarts

Hopefully in 2 seasons time we've upgraded on all of their positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad