Confirmed Signing with Link: Markus Granlund to Salavat (KHL)

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Not too significant, hes an easily replaceable bottom 6 guy and maybe even an AHL tweener at this point. He could slot in to a roster but ideally you'd like someone better.

Hopefully he makes the best of it over seas.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
KHL should be good for Markus to get back to playing a skill game and gain some confidence.

That's what he was drafted as - skilled offensive player. Last few years in the NHL he's just tried to be a checking forward and avoid mistakes so he could stay in the lineup. Doesn't work for him.

It's easy to forget back in 16/17 when there was still optimism regarding his future, and he got games with the Sedins, he would've likely been a 20 goalscorer had he played a full season (19g in 69gp).

If he gets the ball rolling over there in Russia he could be a top liner for years to come in the K and we should then see him wearing the Lion jersey on international stage. Considering the Canucks have sucked every year he's been a regular, it's a surprise he's never played for the team Finland at the WHC.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Smart move by him. He wasn't going to get that kind of money in the NHL next year. With a flat cap he might've been looking at a PTO

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
KHL should be good for Markus to get back to playing a skill game and gain some confidence.

That's what he was drafted as - skilled offensive player. Last few years in the NHL he's just tried to be a checking forward and avoid mistakes so he could stay in the lineup. Doesn't work for him.

It's easy to forget back in 16/17 when there was still optimism regarding his future, and he got games with the Sedins, he would've likely been a 20 goalscorer had he played a full season (19g in 69gp).

If he gets the ball rolling over there in Russia he could be a top liner for years to come in the K and we should then see him wearing the Lion jersey on international stage. Considering the Canucks have sucked every year he's been a regular, it's a surprise he's never played for the team Finland at the WHC.

I watched him in the AHL and NHL. He's like a superstar in the AHL Condors (smart/skilled) but is just a tad too small/slow for the NHL. He reminds me of Anton Lander in that respect.

Best of luck in the KHL, Markus!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Smart move by him. He wasn't going to get that kind of money in the NHL next year. With a flat cap he might've been looking at a PTO

Ya he was likely getting a 2 way deal for like league minimum as the best case scenario. He was only making 1.3 this year, and nobody wanted him for free off waivers. Teams just don’t want to waste that kind of money playing guys in the AHL

I watched him in the AHL and NHL. He's like a superstar in the AHL Condors (smart/skilled) but is just a tad too small/slow for the NHL. He reminds me of Anton Lander in that respect.

Best of luck in the KHL, Markus!

The difference is Lander had enough of a 200 ft game, that he could have stuck around as a 4th liner if he wanted to. It also doesn’t help that Granlund just can’t seem to utilize his talent in a bottom 6 role, when he’s the skill guy on the line. He needs someone else to feed off

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Markus Granlund debut KHL season so far
(scored 2+1 tonight, which been added to his stats)

17 goals (5th) | 13 even number goals (1st)
37 points (4th)
1.16 ppg (2nd)
114 sog (5th)

Plays about 21 minutes avg (20:55) per game
4th most among forwards, 32nd most in the KHL.

Has taken 93 face-offs, has won 53 (.569)
- about 3 face-offs taken per game

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Markus Granlund debut KHL season so far
(scored 2+1 tonight, which been added to his stats)

17 goals (5th) | 13 even number goals (1st)
37 points (4th)
1.16 ppg (2nd)
114 sog (5th)

Plays about 21 minutes avg (20:55) per game
4th most among forwards, 32nd most in the KHL.

Has taken 93 face-offs, has won 53 (.569)
- about 3 face-offs taken per game

Was quite expected. He just could not handle speed and space in NHL and did not really fit to lower lines.
Skill is there and he now is at level he can be a constant producer.

I did hope a lot of him but sadly this time I was wrong.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Nothing surprising about Markus being elite in Europe. Mikael would be a beast in KHL.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A bump.

23 goals so far in 39 games, 3 points shy of 50.
Is +18 with 22 penalty minutes.

1st in even number(strength) goals (18)
2nd in goals
4th in points
6th in +/-
6th in sog

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it makes sense

in the nhl he was on the verge of being good but was tossed around when things got physical which limited his usefulness in both ends.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Even in the NHL, Markus was a strong starter. Just couldn't maintain momentum. He'd play like a top 6 for a few games after every call up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not surprised he's having some success in the KHL. Has a decent skillset but just didn't do things quite fast enough at the NHL level. Always seemed a half second slow with his passing, shooting, checking. With a bit more time and space I could see him thrive.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
The thing that always stuck out about Granlund to me was that he managed to find himself with a great scoring chance almost every game, only to whiff it. You always hear about players that "have all the tools but no toolbox" yet Granlund was pretty much the opposite of that. He had a good head for the game but his hands weren't as fast as his mind was. Makes sense that he'd thrive in a league where he has a little more time and space.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I read title really quick and got excited the Preds got rid of Mikael Granlund. Guess we are still stuck with that newly resigned useless hockey player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad