Confirmed with Link: Markus Granlund re-signed [1 year, $1.475M]

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm actually fine with this signing, especially if he can run as a serviceable 2/3C this year. Stops us from hunting big game free agents to fill the hole left by Henrik. 1 year contract we can flip at the deadline too to a contender looking for some C depth too. Horvat, Granlund, Sutter, Gaudette/Gaunce/Dowd. Pretty lackluster list of Cs, but fine as stopgaps.

He basically never plays C.

Really disappointed. Was hoping to move on from this player and get a look at someone new. Seems like they are determined to bring back the same garbage roster they foisted on us last year, minus the Sedins.

Granlund is a serviceable depth player who is overpaid if he's not making the minimum.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. It's not only that, but how do you make it any sort of priority to sign one of the worst players on a bad team?

As you say not a big deal. Money is what it is with seemingly anyone being able to get $1.5 M nowadays. But this team needs to turn over bodies and where better place to start then the guys who are no good?

A million times this.

Like, Granlund is an ok cheap utility player who would be worth signing as a 12-13th forward somewhere.

But on this team, he should have been fired from a cannon.

1) literally every single player aside from the Sedins (who they wanted to bring back but retired) and Nic Dowd is back for next year. From a team that is the worst in the NHL over the past 3 years. It's absurd. This team needs to be turning failed fringe players over and trying new things and new blood, and they're doing the exact opposite.

2) the player absolutely stunk last year and was outplayed badly by another cheaper player who brought more size and grit the team sorely needs. But somehow that guy can't get a contract and this guy gets more than a 50% raise.

3) this team is small, slow, and soft. We need to change our identity and get bigger and faster. But instead we're committing roster spots yet again to the likes of Granlund, Gagner and Pouliot.

4) why the hell is this being done now? This is the sort of fringe junk asset you put off to the side until you make bigger moves and see where you sit. The player had no leverage at all and there was absolutely no reason to be signing him now.

5 ES points in 53 games last year once you take out EN goals. From 16-17 minutes of icetime.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This is fine. I'd have been equally fine with him being allowed to walk, but he's essentially scoring depth at this point. I don't anticipate him lasting the whole season with the club.

Reactions: Aqualung

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Not sure why he somehow got more than his QO, but on the Benning scale this is like...fine due to it being a 1YR deal.

I agree... Can they at least practice trying to sign players as cheap as they can (for cap management purposes). It could become a useful skill to learn years into the future... when needing to ice a playoff contending team. They might never get the chance to ice a playoff contending team again, but if they do... cap management will be important.

Reactions: lindgren

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Good for him.
One of those players you cheer for for all the unwarranted and or hyperbolic flack he takes.

Smart, versatile, all-situation player, with a good shot...
Looking at the roster, he'll likely be in a defensive role role again... but hopefully he earns a little more opportunity.

Last edited:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I think Granlund-Sutter is 2/3s of a pretty solid match-up line. Especially if both can get back to 15+ goals this season.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Astonishing that even after the past few seasons they still insist on coming back with the same stale fringe tweeners every single season. Freshen it up.

Reactions: MS

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
A little surprised at the negative reaction to what amounts to pretty much a neutral move. They keep an asset they would have had to replace and might be able to flip for a pick, for money that is minimal by NHL terms. Sure it's a couple of hundred K too much but it will make no difference to the club in the short or long term.

I really don't see this as a big deal either way. It is the definition of meh.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Granlund is like cardboard. Versatile, used in various situations, boring, dull, useful in the right applications. Would be a great bottom of roster player on the cheap, imo. If Benning was Prime Minister, today would be announced National Cardboard Day. Happy Cardboard Day, everyone! Hope you get lots of presents, shipped and wrapped in cardboard.

Reactions: tantalum

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Astonishing that even after the past few seasons they still insist on coming back with the same stale fringe tweeners every single season. Freshen it up.

Generally agree...
Unless you believe a kid has more to give, move on and bring in the next young hungry player with upside..

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
maybe the idea of signing him today was so that the draft would be a distraction and it would not provoke a prolonged frenzy of granlund hate.

if so, they should have waited until lunch time.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why is he signed now? Why not let him stew over a qualifier and 10% raise for bit?

Why?

Because Benning does precisely the opposite thing he should do to build leverage in a situation. He trades for bodies at the deadline as a bottom 5 team. He goes looking for picks at the draft.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Good value for a versatile player that’s had some tough luck with injuries. Hope he can stay healthy and contribute.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Why is he signed now? Why not let him stew over a qualifier and 10% raise for bit?

Why?

Because Benning does precisely the opposite thing he should do to build leverage in a situation. He trades for bodies at the deadline as a bottom 5 team. He goes looking for picks at the draft.

Yep. The question of whether Granlund should have been brought back is at least arguable. I don't think they should have, but I can at least see the argument on the other side.

But signing a guy who scored at an 18 point pace to a 60% raise, when his qualifying offer would only give him 10%, two weeks before the deadline to file for arbitration is dumb. This is the kind of player the team should be grinding in a negotiation.

Good value for a versatile player that’s had some tough luck with injuries. Hope he can stay healthy and contribute.

Even if you think this is good value based on Granlund's expected performance, this is still bad value given the Canucks' negotiation position.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yep. The question of whether Granlund should have been brought back is at least arguable. I don't think they should have, but I can at least see the argument on the other side.

But signing a guy who scored at an 18 point pace to a 60% raise, when his qualifying offer would only give him 10%, two weeks before the deadline to file for arbitration is dumb. This is the kind of player the team should be grinding in a negotiation.

Even if you think this is good value based on Granlund's expected performance, this is still bad value given the Canucks' negotiation position.

This is Benning's MO. He does not like drawn out negotiations and would rather overpay to get a deal done quickly.

In some cases, it might be the correct strategy but you really have to question why this player was such a priority.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria

The Canucks negotiation position is only a thing on HF boards, the real world is different.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Good for him.
One of those players you cheer for for all the unwarranted and or hyperbolic flack he takes.

Smart, versatile, all-situation player, with a good shot...
Looking at the roster, he'll likely be in a defensive role role again... but hopefully he earns a little more opportunity.
Did you actually watch any games???
He has done nothing to get ‘a little more opportunity’......
If there was any chance that Benning could trade him for anything it might be okay.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Did you actually watch any games???
He has done nothing to get ‘a little more opportunity’......
If there was any chance that Benning could trade him for anything it might be okay.
I LOVE the "Did you actually watch any games" bit. Awesome. Quality post. Would read again.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Guy is good enough to fill spots in the bottom of our lineup to support young guys when the depth falls to injury so no big deal here. You need filler for cheap like Granlund on rebuilding teams

Reactions: Nomobo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad