Confirmed with Link: Markus Granlund re-signed [1 year, $1.475M]

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Canucks Re-Sign Markus Granlund
Vancouver, BC - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has re-signed forward Markus Granlund to a one-year, one-way contract valued at $1.475M.

"Markus is a versatile forward with the ability to play in all situations," said Benning. "He plays a complete, two-way game and has shown he can produce offensively. We look forward to seeing Markus continue to develop as a Vancouver Canuck this season."

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Not a fan of the signing. Would have preferred trading him or letting him walk for nothing. We have too many soft, one dimensional forwards, especially bottom six forwards, and it's taking spots away from prospects trying to make the team. Regardless, this is an overpayment.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
It's a whatever signing. Honestly the best thing about this deal is that it's one less roster spot for Benning to sign Bozak to. If he can find his touch from 2 years ago it's a good deal. If not hopefully someone could be interested come TDL.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Pretty much high 4th line type money. Would have rather just picked up some free agent scraps but whatever.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I hate Granlund and would have preferred to bring back Archibald for league minimum instead.

If they can somehow get a pick for him at the deadline I’d be okay with this, but i’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hard to get too disappointed or excited about this one. I guess I'm leaning towards being ok with retaining the asset. If he has an ok year he could be part of a trade package including acquiring a pick. It doesn't look like Shinkaruk is going to be more than an AHLer so they've already won the trade. On the otherhand, it doesn't look like Granlund will be a difference maker at the NHL level.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
It's a joke that this player is coming back with a guaranteed job.

Was absolute garbage last year and then badly outplayed by the guy that replaced him for the final 30 games.

But hey, here's another 1-year deal! With a 50% raise!

And meanwhile Archibald can't get $650k on a 1-year deal.

Exactly. Is this a big deal? No. Is this a reflection of the fact that the team continues to follow a dumb process? Yes. How a player with zero leverage gets a 60% raise is beyond me.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Might as well keep him around for another year.If he can regain his goal scoring touch,he could be a decent middle six player who might have some value at the TDL.In the meantime he’s pretty much a placeholder until Dahlen,Lind,etc are NHL ready.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Whyyyyyyyyy. He is garbage and was easily replaced by Archibald, a 850k minor leaguer when he was hurt, meanwhile Archibald still can't get a contract at league minimum.

Pathetic that he's going to still get gifted a lineup spot. His best showing was 32 points and that was only by squeezing every last ounce of production he had out of him, shouldn't have been qualified.

Last edited:

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I'm actually fine with this signing, especially if he can run as a serviceable 2/3C this year. Stops us from hunting big game free agents to fill the hole left by Henrik. 1 year contract we can flip at the deadline too to a contender looking for some C depth too. Horvat, Granlund, Sutter, Gaudette/Gaunce/Dowd. Pretty lackluster list of Cs, but fine as stopgaps.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad