Markus Granlund, a pleasant surprise this season?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Never said he was a stud..I just said I think he can get 15 this season,...How upset do you get when he scores?

Not that upset at all. His meaningful goals hardly happen so. What pisses me off is him being useless at everything else. He is absolutely not a “Swiss army knife” just because he is used as one.

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s weird he gets so much hate. I wouldn’t give a **** if he wasn’t on the team but I think he is a serviceable NHLer on a cheap contract. Is this all because of Shink?

No, it’s because he’s literally one of the worst offensive players in the NHL, not good defensively, terrible on the PK, terrible in the PP, terrible at playing centre and just a really bad player who somehow gets gifted 17 minutes of icetime every game to the detriment of the team.

He’s the same player as Tanner Kero and Kero is in Utica.

And people crowing about his 2 point night after 2 seasons of dreadful play are the exact same thing as people calling Pettersson a bust after he gets held scoreless in a game.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It’s weird he gets so much hate. I wouldn’t give a **** if he wasn’t on the team but I think he is a serviceable NHLer on a cheap contract. Is this all because of Shink?

Im not that hard against MG either.

My guess.. Its the fact that Green keeps deploying him like he is effective while he is not.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Im not that hard against MG either.

My guess.. Its the fact that Green keeps deploying him like he is effective while he is not.
Ya the deployment is odd...I think he is fine in limited minutes but he definitely gets more prime opportunities than he deserves. Every coach has their pets. At least he isn’t Vey or chaput

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This season

Granlund 48 games 17 points 15.53 of ice time. With 124 mins shorthanded, 2 ppp

Virtanen 48 games 18 points 15.10 of ice time. 2 ppl.

Virtanen points per 60 mins is quite bad this season as well. If Granlund is some AHL player offensively. That means Virtanen is some AHL player offensively as well. This season there ice time and points are similar.

If Granlund was a local boy like Virtanen. Most likely we don't have this conversation.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think so..certain posters have doubled down on this trade..and Granlund is still here.....absolute comedy.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I think so..certain posters have doubled down on this trade..and Granlund is still here.....absolute comedy.
I understand why Benning is hated by some of the fanbase...he has made loads of mistakes but the reason anyone still talks about Granlund is hilarious. If people want to hate on Benning then Loui is a good place to start ;). Granlund is just filler

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This season

Virtanen points per 60 mins is quite bad this season as well. If Granlund is some AHL player offensively. That means Virtanen is some AHL player offensively as well. This season there ice time and points are similar.

If Granlund was a local boy like Virtanen. Most likely we don't have this conversation.

Jokes on you, I don’t think Virtanen is that good either. Apparently Virtanen is better defensively, but not sure what the numbers say.

Either way, Virtanen’s offensive game is as good as Granlund’s...and that’s not very good.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This season

Virtanen is very limited offesively, I agree.

People claimed he had made a leap in that department this year and I tried to say it was just puck luck that made him look more effective than he actually was.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
NOBODY CARES ABOUT SHINKARUK.

Granlund is soft and mostly terrible. Then he is rewarded for being the king of floaters by being fed OT and PP time. And his PK time is abysmal but then he keeps getting it.

What's even worse is people coming in here every ten games to crow about his one EN goal or in this case one game where he isn't totally useless.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Granlund is soft and mostly terrible. Then he is rewarded for being the king of floaters by being fed OT and PP time. And his PK time is abysmal but then he keeps getting it.

What's even worse is people coming in here every ten games to crow about his one EN goal or in this case one game where he isn't totally useless.
This is a complete BS post...You obviously missed the game then?.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Let them crow mossey, not going to make a difference.

I don't even have an issue with Granlund, he's just getting used too much. If you're a fringe NHLer and you get used as a high end 3rd liner, it's going to get to fans/media.

But DonnyNucker said it best: Coaches are going to have their pets.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I should add that I wasn’t a fan of the trade and my posts reflected that. But I did my mea culpa on the player after his first season.

He’s a 4th liner. Think people might have too high expectations of what one should expect from a 4th liner. There are a number of players that should be kicked to the curb before Granlund. It’s the fault of the coach if he’s not used as such. (Re: Willie’s use of Sutter)

KingOfTheES

Nov 29, 2016
Garbage player continues to be garbage. Don't need excuses or qualifications. He's garbage.

If you are comparing him to other players to say he isn't that bad maybe the players you are comparing him to are garbage too? :huh:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I should add that I wasn’t a fan of the trade and my posts reflected that. But I did my mea culpa on the player after his first season.

He’s a 4th liner. Think people might have too high expectations of what one should expect from a 4th liner. There are a number of players that should be kicked to the curb before Granlund. It’s the fault of the coach if he’s not used as such. (Re: Willie’s use of Sutter)
Did you read Pitseleh's post on the last page.

You're so right. He's a 4th liner, comparable to the 11th best forward on most teams, yet on this team he's not used as such. He's 5th on the team for forwards in ice time per game.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE GRIPE. Has nothing to do with Shinkaruk, but I'm not surprised by those who think it is.

It's about a player, who even his biggest supporters think is a 4th liner, gets a regular place in the lineup regardless of performance.

I do find it ironic his most productive game in a few seasons (last night) was in basically 4th line usage at evens, the problem is the near 5 minutes of PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad