Markstrom vs. Lehner

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Who turns out better? A few years ago Markstrom would have won this by a landslide, but now I'm not so sure. Lehner's status as a prospect has really gone up the last couple of years and both are now in the AHL. (Lehner has better stats, but less GP). The Swedish coach said they were on the same level and a Swedish Aftonbladet reporter even said he would take Lehner over Markstrom. Both are huge, but have both have great reflexes. Both were also taken in the 2nd round.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I still like Markstrom, but Lehner isn't too far behind in my mind.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Who turns out better? A few years ago Markstrom would have won this by a landslide, but now I'm not so sure. Lehner's status as a prospect has really gone up the last couple of years and both are now in the AHL. (Lehner has better stats, but less GP). The Swedish coach said they were on the same level and a Swedish Aftonbladet reporter even said he would take Lehner over Markstrom. Both are huge, but have both have great reflexes. Both were also taken in the 2nd round.

Markstrom. He was the best goalkeeper last year in the SEl. He's proven him self in a number of international competitions both junior and senior. He's just has a bit of a slump, he'll son be back and playing like his old self.

Lehner is not far behind though as far as i'm concerned. He just gets a massive hype today because ha had a shut out and a good game last night.

member 30781

I haven't seen Markstrom play, but I saw Lehner yesterday and this guy looks like the next big thing.

But based on the hype and what I have read, I would guess Markstrom will be better.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
Sens fan here and i don't mean to come in here and hype up Lehner a bunch, to tell you the truth i've only seen him play about half a dozen times unfortunately. I'd just like to say that it really feels good to hear his name mentioned in the same sentence as Markstrom's. It looks like the Sens might get their first goalie pretty soon. What kind of status do you see Lehner earning as an NHL goalie at this point? Are we talking Top 10, Top 5 even, or just another starter that is all around solid?

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
In terms of pure talent, Markström.
But by the looks of it, I think Lehner is mentally stronger. We'll see further down the road of WJHC though.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Coming from a guy who has little to no read on Markstrom. I'm just a big fan of the prospect of Lehner who is obviously very large and athletic but attributes in mental toughness, focus, commitment, work ethic may all be higher than the physical tools.

His whole story is actually very interesting, and he's coming along very fast. The Sens have been overly high on him since day 1 and he continues to make good on their word.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i love the edge Lehner plays with he seems tougher then most goalies around there but it seems like Markstrom is the next goalie of the NHL but i guess only time will tell

LGSens

A Swede who has played with and against both told me would go with Lehner, but not by much.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Markstrom has a slight edge in terms of physical talent but they're both excellent prospects. That said, Lehner just seems to have "it" and I really believe he's going to be a top notch NHL goalie.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/article8348007.ab
Google-Translated;

JVM goalie Robin Lehner about his tough childhood

BUFFALO. Robin Lehners way to the top is like nothing else.

Småkronornas success goalie drill was rock hard by father Michael during childhood.

Father and son Lehner arrived at the restaurant on the play site and sits down at the table. Michael has taken time off from work as a goalkeeper coach in Frölunda for on-site follow his son during the Junior World Championships.

An hour later, it has told the improbable story of how Robin in nine years have gone from beginner to NHL games.

It all started when Michael wanted the then ten year old Robin would try to be objective.

- I do not really think it was so funny, I could hardly stand on skates. But my dad pushed and now you can say that it was worth it, "says Robin.

What happened next?

- It's been full speed, one can say. My birthday is in July and the nine years I have never been home for a birthday. There were four or five different hockey schools every summer.

- Since he started as a goalkeeper so late, I had to press a little extra to catch up the time that was lost, "says Michael.

When Michael began to drill Robin, he had no knowledge about training goalkeepers. By coincidence, met Michael at the beginning of the 2000s, Henrik Lundqvist and was equally haphazard Lundqvist's coach during the four years in the top division.

Now he has been the goalkeeper coach for almost a decade.

Some of Michael's strategy to make Robin a top goalkeeper was to always play him in with older players. During adolescence in Mölndal Robin forced to compete with guys who was one or more years older.

- Dad's plan was that I would have to compete all the time to take a seat. I knew that if I was bad, dad would sell the pads and it was over, "says Robin.

Michael was tough, bordering on brutal in his treatment of his son.

- I mocked Robin if he was not good enough. I made it to trigger him and get those horns to grow out. There has always been a purpose to everything I have done. I have chosen to accept that Robin did not like me very much.

How do you see today on how you dealt with Robin?

- It has probably not been the right way. Now, ten years later, can I sit here with a lump in his stomach. We lost a lot of nice years as father and son. Now begins the friendship come back, "says Michael.

- Actually it was not until I moved to North America that our relationship was good, "said Robin, and Michael nod in agreement.

Most often the tough drill of Robin went too far.

One of the first things Michael did when he had Robin start as a goalkeeper was to get a puck machine that sent away pucks with 160 km speed.

The lawn at the house in Mölndal was torn away and replaced with a concrete slab and nut-father and son for hours.

Michael pushed the button and Robin would catch pucks. But Michael's father and the then 11-year-old goalkeeper was far from always in agreement on how Robin would act to stop all the pucks.

One of many heated discussions ended with Michael deliberately sent away a puck when Robin was not prepared.

The projectile struck with violent force on one arm and Robin started to cry. Despite the continued pucks to whiz on him.
Was reported to Brisbane

Then the neighbors, who were not at all impressed with either the puck machine or how Michael treated his son had enough and contacted Bris (Children's Rights in Society). It ended with a phone call from Bris, where the family Lehner had checked that there was no systematic child abuse.

- It was not an ordinary upbringing, "says Robin.

How do you see today how you were treated?

- I have no regrets. Sure, it has been tough moments, but I am 19 years now and have seen much that others do not come close. I have had to sacrifice a few young age to feel good now, more recently, "says Robin.

Yeah, I would probably pick Lehner for a SC-final game 7 ^_^

Last edited:

LGSens

Lehner almost quit hockey 2 years ago. He had packed his bags and was done. His dad actually talked him back into it.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
You lose all credibility when every post you make talks about how great the Blues are. Especially when the thread in no way pertains to the player you mentioned.

Lmao. This is between Lehner and Markstrom. Put your Allen boner away for a few mins and maybe discuss the topic at hand?

In case you two gentlemen are unable to read, please note that I did mention -- in this thread, and elsewhere -- that I like both Lehner and Markstrom.

I'm hardly concerned about how much "credibility" I have with an anonymous poster on a hockey message board.

As pointed out above, Lehner was inches away from giving up hockey entirely just a few years ago -- right about the same time that someone was winning a gold medal for Canada with an incredible performance at the U18 World Juniors (how soon some people forget).

Regardless, Lehner's a fine prospect, and I'd be more than happy to have him in my organization. Ditto Markstrom, whom I actually feel is closer to NHL success than Lehner at this point. Of course, someone's numbers in the AHL right now are better than either Lehner's or Markstrom's, but we're not supposed to talk about that...

Does that make you two gentlemen happy, or would you prefer I throw personal insults back at you in response to the ones you threw at me?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad