Markstrom and both Sedins all named to Team Sweden's roster

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
Marky deserves it. Has been the second best swedish goalie this year (although Lehner has been strong post-injury). But it was a suprise no doubt. He won't play though, Lundqvist will want to start all games.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
So did Edler not make the team? Thought he was great for them at the olympics. Looks like only six defensemen named so far, gonna be tight. Hasn't Kronwall taken a pretty big step backwards lately?

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
So did Edler not make the team? Thought he was great for them at the olympics. Looks like only six defensemen named so far, gonna be tight. Hasn't Kronwall taken a pretty big step backwards lately?

There has been a management change for this tournament so might be partially why. Klingberg didn't make the first 6 either so I doubt Edler will make it. Kronwall has and is probably mainly there for his "intangibles".

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Happy for Markstrom and it certainly can't hurt his development to be surrounded by such elite talent, including watching how one of the best goaltenders in the world prepares every day for such a high pressure tournament.

obviously incredibly happy for the Sedins, even though it was a clear no-brainer. As they get close to the end of their incredible careers, it's nice to see them get at least one more opportunity to play the game on the international stage.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
There has been a management change for this tournament so might be partially why. Klingberg didn't make the first 6 either so I doubt Edler will make it. Kronwall has and is probably mainly there for his "intangibles".

yeah klingberg is probably left off because they already have loads of offense from EK, OEL and Hedman.

Personally, I would rather have H. Lindholm there than Kronwall, but either way their blueline is stacked.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

Maybe his knee to knee on Staal and resulting suspension is still on people's minds.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I can't believe they put Kronwall on their roster over Klingberg and Edler. Ridiculous.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
that swedish blue line is just insane, as good as the Russian top 7.

(Kuz Malk Ov / Kuch Dats Tara and Panarin)

They just need finishers esp up front with Hank and Backstrom as distributers. Forsberg is going to have a big tournament.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Maybe his knee to knee on Staal and resulting suspension is still on people's minds.

Pretty sure that happened before the last olympics so people have had plenty of time to get over it. Just seems weird that they cut the guy who played on their top pair with Karlsson and won a silver medal. Obviously I think that Hedman or OEL would be a better top pair choice now but it's not like Edler has regressed since then.

Completely forgot about Klingberg too, he's gotta make it. I'd add both of them and remove Kronwall.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
I thought at first Klingberg was eligible for the youngsters roster, but checked and saw he turns 24 in August. He'll be the 7th d most likely. Edler unfortunately will be overshadowed by the rest. As for the Sedins, who will play with them this time around?

Edit: Didn't realize that the Under 24 Team was North America Only. Whoops.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2