TSN: Markov signing discussions

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I think he'll give the Habs a home town discount...but not at 60 cents on the dollar, that's a bit much.

Those are all below market value and good for both sides. He can get 500k at least more/year on each of those.

4 years 22 mil(6.25-6-5.25-4.5)
3 years 17.25 mil
2 years 12 mil

Yea $4m is pushing it. A cap hit of around $5m would be great.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'm with Shawn Campbell from TSN on this one. There is no way Markov signs for something like $4M. In free agency, he gets at least 3 years, likely 4 at 6M per year.

If he's looking to finish his career and is more interested in term, we may see something like $6M, 6M 5M, 4M, 4M. Cap hit $5M. He is 100% worth it. Would cost $6.5 to replace him.

Don't undervalue Markov.

Yeah, $4m is out the window. $5 would be a discount. I have my fingers crossed for $5.5, slightly less than what his current hit is. For 2 years ideally.

I wouldn't mind him doing a year-by-year renewal thing like Lidstrom was doing towards the end of his career, either. I think Markov is pretty much a Hab for however long he wants to be one.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
The 'general' wants retire here, he'll likely give a discount but for longer term. I can't see 2 years deal. Maybe 4 @ 20 ?

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Markov better stay here until his retirement.

General Markov is still in shape to play for several years.

4m seems decent.
We will see.

4mil is decent for Markov? That would be quite the hometown discount. If he asks that money, Bergie better sign him asap. Markov would easily make way more than that as an UFA.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Considering how much Gonchar got from Dallas in the summer (5 million) I think if Markov signs for 2 years he'll get 5.5 million, if it's 3 years make it 5 million.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
If we can get Markov for a fair price I'm Sure it will help in the PK negotiations.
Not sure if it would, really. I guess it depends on whether Bergevin is more interested in a hierarchial approach to the payroll or whether just having a little bit extra cap room would make enough of a difference in his budget to be more generous? I would expect the former.

And I would expect Bergevin to argue that Subban is not significantly better than Markov (in his eyes - based on stats, icetime, utilization, stuff like that - all BS of course). So a "fair price" on Markov would seem more likely to me to hurt the Subban negotiations, if anything, if there was any connecting effect at all, anyway. :dunno:

Go ahead and surprise me Bergie, I double dog dare you. :)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'm okay with some of those higher values like $18M/3yrs or $22M/4yrs. If Markov is willing to take a discount on those numbers, great, but I don't see the negotiations being particularly difficult, and I wouldn't start off trying to bargain him down in any way.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Firing his agent, and saving himself the commision he would have paid out to Meehan is a telling sign....
2-3 yrs around 5M should do it!!

I'm guessing he's probably going to want to pocket whatever the commissionable amount might have been. He's cutting the middleman but he doesn't have to leave the middleman's money on the table either since he is undertaking the burden of negotiation on his own. I'm sure he can get a contracts lawyer at an hourly rate just to vet the key clauses. He has more than enough precedents he can get from friends around the league, to get a sense of what current market terms look like.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Markov is reportedly asking for a 4-year deal, as confirmed by Mathieu Dandeneault last week.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
If anyone thinks he's getting under 6 million per year and under 3 years term hasn't been paying attention to any of the contracts Bergevin has signed.

They've all been at minimum a year longer than they should be (besides Price, was Pacioretty signed by Gauthier?) and at least market value or a bit more.

My guess is 3 years 18 million and a NTC.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
If anyone thinks he's getting under 6 million per year and under 3 years term hasn't been paying attention to any of the contracts Bergevin has signed.

They've all been at minimum a year longer than they should be (besides Price, was Pacioretty signed by Gauthier?) and at least market value or a bit more.

My guess is 3 years 18 million and a NTC.

Gauthier signed Gorges and Bergevin signed Pacioretty.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Gauthier signed Gorges and Bergevin signed Pacioretty.

So Bergevin signed Pacioretty and Price to 6 year deals which is a good length (I prefer 5 years max, but that's just me)

But he signed Desharnais, Drewiski, Briere, Emelin, Bouillon etc to contracts that are at least or more than market value and for longer terms than he should have. Considering Bouillon was multiple one year deals doesn't change the fact he shouldn't have been re-signed to begin with so technically it is one year longer than he should have been :laugh:

The point I made still stands that Bergevin does not sign players for what we usually feel is appropriate term or dollars.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
I have the same feeling that Markov contract will get done pretty fast. Except Subban case , I think MB is pretty quick on this regard if he wants the player. Markov dropping his agent to save some money is also a sign that he's quite confident to get it done by himself.

Get it done and let him retire as a Habs.

Davebo*

Good point. I doubt he would be representing himself if he were looking to test the waters in July, considering he has never hit free agency once in his career.

He's got to know he could make a fortune, comparatively, if he choose to go home and play in the KHL.He's be one of that league's poster boys.

Sign him and let him retire a Hab.He's earned it big time

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I'd give him 4 years so he takes a bit of a hometown discount but gets stability.

5-5-4-4 $4.5m cap hit and everyone is happy.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'd give him 4 years so he takes a bit of a hometown discount but gets stability.

5-5-4-4 $4.5m cap hit and everyone is happy.

I'd love that, but are those numbers do-able with the new CBA? I know there's a % limit on dollar difference between first and last years, but I don't remember what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->