Marketing Makeover

Bobby Orr

Wednesday in New York, deputy commissioner Bill Daly and the NHL’s marketing team will be meeting with a number of high-profile agents to discuss its strategy on how to market the league’s star players.

“They maintain they are creating a new direction,†said one agent who will take part in the two-hour meeting. “The players will not be hidden anymore. They’ll be front and center.â€

It’s about time.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=21870

I love this particular blurb:

During the NHL’s dead-puck era, I had an NHL executive actually tell me the following: “People talk about entertainment value. If you want to be entertained, go to a movie.â€

And all this time I thought the NHL was just a bush league. :dunce:

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
i've always thought this would be a good idea for an NHL commercial: have some shots of players from all different countries saying where they are from, followed by clips of highlight reel plays from said players, followed by a clever slogan at the end.

for instance a script could look something like this:

---------------------------

*Close up of Ovechkin*

OVECHKIN: "Alexander Ovechkin... Moscow, Russia"
*3-4 short various highlights ie: his on-the-back goal vs. the yotes*

*Close up of Jussi Jokinen*

JOKINEN: " Jussi Jokinen... Kalajoki, Finland"
*3-4 Various Clips of his shootout goals"

*Close up of Spezza*

SPEZZA: "Jason Spezza... Mississauga, Ontario"
*3-4 clips like his OT goal vs. the habs, etc...*

*Close up of Jagr*

JAGR: "Jaromir Jagr... Kladno, Czech Rep"
*various clips...*

quick sequence of hit/goal/save clips then up pops a slogan...

"ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE....."

*NHL Logo*

----------------------------

there. it's simple, it's effective, it's action packed, and it shows off the global diversity (if you will) of the game - something the league is obviously trying to achieve. plus with this there's so many possibilities, you could do ones with various countries, or ones specific to one country (all american players for instance), you could do all goalies, all hits, all goals... the possibilities are almost endless.

i think something like that is the way to go rather than that warrior cinema crap they tried to pull off last year.

perhaps this is a bit cheesy or predictable, but i think the only way to generate interest in the game is to actually show off the game and it's players :dunno:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
i've always thought this would be a good idea for an NHL commercial: have some shots of players from all different countries saying where they are from, followed by clips of highlight reel plays from said players, followed by a clever slogan at the end.

for instance a script could look something like this:

---------------------------

*Close up of Ovechkin*

OVECHKIN: "Alexander Ovechkin... Moscow, Russia"
*3-4 short various highlights ie: his on-the-back goal vs. the yotes*

*Close up of Jussi Jokinen*

JOKINEN: " Jussi Jokinen... Kalajoki, Finland"
*3-4 Various Clips of his shootout goals"

*Close up of Spezza*

SPEZZA: "Jason Spezza... Mississauga, Ontario"
*3-4 clips like his OT goal vs. the habs, etc...*

*Close up of Jagr*

JAGR: "Jaromir Jagr... Kladno, Czech Rep"
*various clips...*

quick sequence of hit/goal/save clips then up pops a slogan...

"ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE....."

*NHL Logo*

----------------------------

there. it's simple, it's effective, it's action packed, and it shows off the global diversity (if you will) of the game - something the league is obviously trying to achieve. plus with this there's so many possibilities, you could do ones with various countries, or ones specific to one country (all american players for instance), you could do all goalies, all hits, all goals... the possibilities are almost endless.

i think something like that is the way to go rather than that warrior cinema crap they tried to pull off last year.

perhaps this is a bit cheesy or predictable, but i think the only way to generate interest in the game is to actually show off the game and it's players :dunno:

I had the same idea but my slogan would be World Class. It's such an obvious but great idea I don't know why the don't do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->