Player Discussion Mark "Vigilante” Borowiecki

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Used to hate Boro cuz of stupid penalties and dumb decisions with the puck

now I barelly notice him in a game and when I do its because he collects an assist or score a goal

its like he bought a new brain on amazon

pleasant surprise

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Used to hate Boro cuz of stupid penalties and dumb decisions with the puck

now I barelly notice him in a game and when I do its because he collects an assist or score a goal

its like he bought a new brain on amazon

pleasant surprise
Well said. I’ll take this any day of the week! He’s actually helping us to some wins if I dare say.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why? They’re both young and have shown tons of potential.

I'm with @aragorn

Wolanin isn't young per se. He'll be 25 in March with roughly 50 games under his belt. He's signed thru next year and an RFA when that contract matures. Too many guys coming thru the system and he will lose the numbers game

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
At what point do we start considering signing Demelo? With his contract he’d probably be pretty valuable at the deadline.

He seems to have contributed significantly to Chabot’s big year last season and now to Boro’s turn around. With Chabot, Brannstrom, Wolanin, and Lajoie as LH puck movers is it time to consider an investment in Demelo a reliable/stabilizing partner for one of them moving forward?

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
He is a keeper. Low cost, hard worker that people look up to in the locker room.

His persona exudes positivity. Some people could learn something from him if they followed him more.
Rumor: Ottawa receives big offer for J.G Pageau from the Islanders
Look for the deal to potentially turn into something bigger as the Islanders would also welcome a player like defenseman, Mark Borowiecki with open arms.

Fingers crossed the Sens can parlay Mark's recent run of non-brutal play into an asset.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I'm with @aragorn

Wolanin isn't young per se. He'll be 25 in March with roughly 50 games under his belt. He's signed thru next year and an RFA when that contract matures. Too many guys coming thru the system and he will lose the numbers game
This could be true. But that being said Wolanin looked great last year. He still could end up playing a top 4 role for the next several years on Ottawa.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This could be true. But that being said Wolanin looked great last year. He still could end up playing a top 4 role for the next several years on Ottawa.

Why? They’re both young and have shown tons of potential.

Wolanin is a left shot & Chabot & arguably Brannstrom are ahead of him on the left side. I assume that Thomson & JBD have the right side locked up & the Sens would still have Lajoie LD & Jaros RD as a potential bottom pair. I prefer Wolanin over Brannstrom right now & it would interesting to see if he can beat out EB when he returns. But long term I think Wolanin might be the guy moved since he is older than EB & could bring back a nice return, because I think most consider EB to have more potential. I expect that Wolanin should return sometime around the deadline, it might not hurt EB to spend a little more time in Belleville. But on the other hand they have three UFA defencemen who could all get moved by the deadline so they may need to keep him around.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think Wolanin is ahead of EB at this point and it's not even close - nor do I think it should be.

If he comes in and can simply duplicate his performance from last season he is an impact D offensively for us right away.

EB is apparently able to play both sides and with Lassi and JBD being most likely at least another full season away EB will have time to settle and figure out how to generate more offense before they arrive.

No need to push any D out the door at the moment other than most likely Hainsey when the season is done.

IMO keeping Boro and Demelo for another year would be fine.

Reactions: Variable26

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm with @aragorn

His raw talent will have him win out. He is the second most talented d man in the organization. Certainly wont be the one on the way out.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
His raw talent will have him win out. He is the second most talented d man in the organization. Certainly wont be the one on the way out.

I dont know about that. He's signed for one more year. Chabot, Zaitsev and Brannstrom are not going anywhere. The team has to make a call on DeMelo and i think they'll sign him to a multi year relatively low cost deal. Then you have a couple of 1st rounders marinating plus Jaros and Lajoie, both of whom are younger and have more NHL games on their resume.

For Wolanin to stay here beyond his current deal, he isn't competing with Brannstrom today, he's competing with who Brannstrom will be 2 years from now and i dont think (and certainly hope for the team) that Wolanin wins that competition

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I dont know about that. He's signed for one more year. Chabot, Zaitsev and Brannstrom are not going anywhere. The team has to make a call on DeMelo and i think they'll sign him to a multi year relatively low cost deal. Then you have a couple of 1st rounders marinating plus Jaros and Lajoie, both of whom are younger and have more NHL games on their resume.

For Wolanin to stay here beyond his current deal, he isn't competing with Brannstrom today, he's competing with who Brannstrom will be 2 years from now and i dont think (and certainly hope for the team) that Wolanin wins that competition

I am very confident, his talent is undeniable. There is a reason they had him penciled into the top 4, just because he is 25 doesnt mean he is done developing he is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of. They should be trading Demelo its not really a question, he is a UFA to be. You cant teach what Wolanin has and the organization has drafted and developed him to think they would just give up on him when they have a brutal d core just doesnt make sense you talk like there is a stable of elite players back there right now and that is not the case. Zaitsev is also going to just end up being on the third pair and will evantually be a lightning rod around here because people will want to get rid of him because of his salary and the young players coming up. If anything DJ has proven the best players are going to play this year it wont be long before Wolanin supplants everyone not named Chabot on the current d core.

I also dont know how you can come to this conclusion that he is competing against someone in two years time right now that doesnt make any sense and is non logical. No one can predict what a player is going to be in a few years time Brannstrom or Wolanin no one has that kind of crystal ball. The coaching staff is going to play who is playing well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Boro has been a warrior for this team, and over the years he's been both rightly and wrongly criticized imo, but I just don't see how we can fit him in going forward.

Imo, Chabot, Zaitsev, and Brannstrom are all but locked into our top 6 going forward.

After that, we have 2 promising RD in JBD and Thomson that will likely be cracking the lineup within the next 3 years.

I think we go with Wolanin and Jaros as a bottom pair after this season, as early as after the deadline this year. DeMelo is UFA, and while I like him as a bottom pair guy, his upside is limited.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Boro has been a warrior for this team, and over the years he's been both rightly and wrongly criticized imo, but I just don't see how we can fit him in going forward.

Imo, Chabot, Zaitsev, and Brannstrom are all but locked into our top 6 going forward.

After that, we have 2 promising RD in JBD and Thomson that will likely be cracking the lineup within the next 3 years.

I think we go with Wolanin and Jaros as a bottom pair after this season, as early as after the deadline this year. DeMelo is UFA, and while I like him as a bottom pair guy, his upside is limited.
Year by year for Boro would be okay but nothing multi year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad