Injury Report: Mark Stuart out for 4-6 weeks with a broken hand.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
So, anytime that anybody has brought forward a "Jets have a winning record with so-and-so out of the lineup" posting, they have been immediately shouted down with reasons why there is no cause and effect relationship there, but now it's just a given that the team will start winning more entirely from Stu's absence?

Yup, okay then.

It's usually when discussion of a typically net-positive contributor (Buff, Scheif, Enstrom, et al) goes out of the line-up. Stuart is arguably a net negative, depending on his usage. No slight against Stuart on my part - I question Maurice's usage more than anything else.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
There goes any remote chance he gets traded at the deadline. Hopefully Postma gets his chance even if it's just to showcase him for a possible trade.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I wondered why he stayed in the game after I saw that puck hit him pretty much where there's no padding behind the glove. Sucks that he's hurt, but it does give our reinforcements a chance to prove themselves otherwise, or at least prove their worth in a potential trade some place they can actually get play time.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
So, anytime that anybody has brought forward a "Jets have a winning record with so-and-so out of the lineup" posting, they have been immediately shouted down with reasons why there is no cause and effect relationship there, but now it's just a given that the team will start winning more entirely from Stu's absence?

Yup, okay then.

I believe it's because there's a flaw in logic with a team losing record being blamed on the players who outshoot and outscore the opposition vs. the players who are out shot and outscored.

Now that being said, the Jets could go on a winning streak, or a losing streak now with very little causation from the loss of Stuart...

The loss of Stuart and the addition of his replacement will have an impact on the Jets probability of winning/losing a game. However, the change is going to be small.

Most players have like +/- 1-2 percentage points, like a 48% team becoming a 47.5% team. That takes a huge sample of games to really notice the difference.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I believe it's because there's a flaw in logic with a team losing record being blamed on the players who outshoot and outscore the opposition vs. the players who are out shot and outscored.

Now that being said, the Jets could go on a winning streak, or a losing streak now with very little causation from the loss of Stuart...

The loss of Stuart and the addition of his replacement will have an impact on the Jets probability of winning/losing a game. However, the change is going to be small.

Most players have like +/- 1-2 percentage points, like a 48% team becoming a 47.5% team. That takes a huge sample of games to really notice the difference.

Pardy won't be the difference between us suddenly looking like a playoff team on the ice and a bottom 5 team in the league. I don't really need to see numbers to come to that conclusion. However, if a guy like Morrissey was showing promise and ready for the NHL this would have been a great time to test the waters. I haven't seen any Moose games though and with them being the worst team in the league it's hard to envision he's knocking down doors ready to play NHL minutes.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
There goes any remote chance he gets traded at the deadline. Hopefully Postma gets his chance even if it's just to showcase him for a possible trade.

Yep, exactly.

I was hoping some contender would at least want to add a veteran defender on their last pairing for a playoff run. This throws that idea out the window.

Going to be refreshing watching this team play without Step Up Stu in the lineup.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I admit to sometimes (all the time ) having an opinion based on a perception or personal past experience that slants how I see things.
It's interesting to listen or read a comment from someone like Garett9 that has the statistical knowledge to either confirm a biased opinion or tell you, you're more than likely wrong based on mathematical probability.
I do like to hear the statistical side of it when it is simplified down in a form even I can understand.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Pardy looked pretty rough in limited action. but he's been a pro, so i'm happy he's making some coin and playing. Postma sits at home, in a dark room, drinking a scotch....

credit to Stuart for finishing the game. wow.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Unfortunate for him
I hope someone else shows that they can be better than him though
I wonder if eventually we could see a Morrissey recall

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I commented that his finger was broken but maybe it looked funny because his hand was broken. A true warrior, he will be missed.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Of course it takes an injury to get him out of the line up...

How selfish of Maurice to not bench him. He could have avoided getting injured. All Maurice's fault.

Polar Vortex

Jul 4, 2012
Sucks for Stu.

Good for pretty much everyone else on the jets (if they still have any hope of the playoffs). Especially Pavs.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
PK

I'm not buying replacing Stu for Pardy on the PK makes a small difference on a team like this.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
As much as most of us dislike Stuart as a player, you certainly can't say he isn't a tough SOB. It's pretty impressive that he finished the game with a broken hand. With that being said, I'm looking forward to seeing Pardy finally getting some ice time.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Hope he has a speedy recovery and heals well. Guy is a warrior in the trenches for our team so I wish him the best

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
:laugh: hope they can show Maurice who the real rec player is.

I watched that. I felt bad for him. He really did seem... I don't know... Almost Sad?

He seemed like he was buying into the bad view that Maurice sees of him; using the same criticisms and acting like he didn't belong. A coach is supposed to inspire, not defeat his players.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In a normal scenario, I dont think Stuart (your third pairing dman) being gone would make much of a difference.

Considering the Jets are a decent 5v5 team, we have an atrocious PK, take a billion penalties, and the worst PKer and most active PKer is now getting replaced by a guy who's known as a good PKer, I think it could have a meaningful impact.

Not that it matters when Stu is healthy, nothing he does will ever have him scratched from a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->