McKenzie: Mark Stone Mega-Thread Pt. 2 - Jets pursuing Stone, Ottawa working on contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Are you suggesting Stone is better than Duchene? Because unless you're playing fantasy, C's are more valuable than wingers. I like Stone a lot, but don't think he'll return as big a haul - guess we'll see.
Lol what!? Everyone and their gramma knows Stone is returning more.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I would hate to lose all those roster players for draft picks and scraps if I was an Ottawa fan.

Then again we have had UFAs in Winnipeg walk for nothing because we could not sign them and never opted to trade them before the deadline.

Yup. Its a terrible feeling when ownership handcuffs you. Ottawa bet big on duchene, on the back of that ECF finish a couple of years ago, and unfortunately lost.

But yeah, in the end, Turris (for Duchene), Brassard, Hoffman, Karlsson, now Duchene, and very likely Stone and maybe Dzingel all in the space of ~18 months is devastating. Its a gutshot not having that 1st, but building off Tkachuck and Chabot is a decent start. And they will very likely be a lottery team again next year, so there is hope there.

Reactions: tntkid

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am feeling that if Stone was coming to Winnipeg it would have happened already.

Maybe the better offers are all from other cities in the united states.

I hope Ottawa gets as much as they can for him because your team is getting gutted.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1st, Vesa, Chisolm, conditional 1st
Interesting. I think that might work. I'd prefer to substitute Lemieux for Vesa, but that might be unrealistic. I tend to think that the development of Appleton, Lemieux and Tanev this year might have changed their perspective on the importance of keeping Vesalainen. I think they might prefer to keep Niku and Samberg in the fold over KVes, all things considered.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just heard on TSN Insider Trading... Bob McKenzie says Ottawa looking for two 1st round picks and two very good prospects for Mark Stone. WOW!

I guess at that price Stone won't be moving to Calgary.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
As a preds fan, I only have interest in Stone if we can resign him. I hate our team this year for whatever reason. I feel no confidence going for broke for a pure rental.

Reactions: PredsHabs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What are the Jets going to give up for Stone? He's better than Duchene. If it is the Jets. A first(s) 2 good prospects. Ottawa may make out well this TDL.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just heard on TSN Insider Trading... Bob McKenzie says Ottawa looking for two 1st round picks and two very good prospects for Mark Stone. WOW!

I guess at that price Stone won't be moving to Calgary.

Well they probably think they got two very good prospects in this deal.

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
As a preds fan, I only have interest in Stone if we can resign him. I hate our team this year for whatever reason. I feel no confidence going for broke for a pure rental.

I second this. If we don’t get a better option up front like Stone, no thanks on all these secondary pieces. We need top six scoring help not depth.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Are you suggesting Stone is better than Duchene? Because unless you're playing fantasy, C's are more valuable than wingers. I like Stone a lot, but don't think he'll return as big a haul - guess we'll see.

I think Stone is an interesting case.

He is a possession driving winger that has the defensive impact of a center.

Duchene, on the other hand, is a whatever possession driver and defender... but is great in the offensive zone (and at face-offs specifically, which is only a small aspect of being a center).

It kinda warps the argument from the historic C vs W debate.

Also... Stone is a top 10 winger... Duchene is not a top 10 C. Do I take a top 10C over a top 10 winger? Hell yes. But this isn't comparing across the same level.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Appleton is an NHLer who was an AHL first-team All-Star as a rookie last year. Davidsson was 6th round pick as a 20-year old. Stanley was a 1st rounder who has made very good strides as an AHL rookie. Appleton + Stanley >> Abramov + Davidsson, in my view.

And Mason Appleton was a 19 year old 6th round pick, where and when players get drafted in the end is irrelevant. It's all about progression and projection. I agree the Winnipeg package is better. I personally don't think it's all that far part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->