Player Discussion Mark Stone | "Insanely Controversial" Edition

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Silf has really cooled down after that hot start to the year, wasn't he at .8ppg at some point?

20G 22A in 70GP this year (still very respectable numbers for a 2nd liner)

One thing I think we can all agree we miss about Silfverberg; that lethal release in the shoot-out. If he were still with us, Boucher would be trapping from puck-drop to get the 1-0 shoot-out win. Ryan's been pretty good in the shoot-out this year as well, though.

They're both slow, maybe Silf is slightly less slow. Ryan hits once in a while, Silf gets hit once in a while.

This is purely anecdotal and may not represent the larger trend with Silverberg, but Silf absolutely leveled someone on our team in one of the games against ANA this year.

It was a great hit behind our net, can't remember who it was on.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
Silf has really cooled down after that hot start to the year, wasn't he at .8ppg at some point?

20G 22A in 70GP this year (still very respectable numbers for a 2nd liner)

One thing I think we can all agree we miss about Silfverberg; that lethal release in the shoot-out. If he were still with us, Boucher would be trapping from puck-drop to get the 1-0 shoot-out win. Ryan's been pretty good in the shoot-out this year as well, though.

This is purely anecdotal and may not represent the larger trend with Silverberg, but Silf absolutely leveled someone on our team in one of the games against ANA this year.

It was a great hit behind our net, can't remember who it was on.

Wish I'd seen that one. My memory of Silf was that when it came to hits, he found it more blessed to receive than to give.
And come to think of it, I wouldn't really call Ryan soft. He's easy to knock down, but he never shies away, he throws a few hits of his own, and keeps standing in front of the net, taking the hacks and having repeated bombs bounce off his body. He's the best and most willing net-front guy on the team.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What happened to this guy?

He went from this:

mark-stone.jpg

To this...

Screen-Shot-2015-04-16-at-1.45.43-AM.png

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Consistency isn't the issue. He hasn't been his regular self these playoffs. For very good reason in sure. No one is asking for superstar. Asking for regular mark stone

He's going to have a game, he's pressing a bit, but tonight I think he's the best player skater on the ice.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wish I'd seen that one. My memory of Silf was that when it came to hits, he found it more blessed to receive than to give.
And come to think of it, I wouldn't really call Ryan soft. He's easy to knock down, but he never shies away, he throws a few hits of his own, and keeps standing in front of the net, taking the hacks and having repeated bombs bounce off his body. He's the best and most willing net-front guy on the team.[/QUOTE]

No he's not. Smith, Pageau & Stone having been going to the front of the net all yr & not just in the playoffs like Ryan & Stalberg is now doing it too.

Stone has 2 goals & 1 assist in 9 playoff games. I think he must be hurt, doesn't seem like himself in these playoffs, hopefully, he will shake it off tonight & pot a couple.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And come to think of it, I wouldn't really call Ryan soft. He's easy to knock down, but he never shies away, he throws a few hits of his own, and keeps standing in front of the net, taking the hacks and having repeated bombs bounce off his body. He's the best and most willing net-front guy on the team.

No he's not. Smith, Pageau & Stone having been going to the front of the net all yr & not just in the playoffs like Ryan & Stalberg is now doing it too.

Stone has 2 goals & 1 assist in 9 playoff games. I think he must be hurt, doesn't seem like himself in these playoffs, hopefully, he will shake it off tonight & pot a couple.

Ryan was going to the net all year for screens and tips, it's how he broke his hand the first time I believe. He was a bit inconsistent in driving to the net when he had the puck on his stick, but he was definitely a net front presence all year.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Consistency isn't the issue. He hasn't been his regular self these playoffs. For very good reason in sure. No one is asking for superstar. Asking for regular mark stone

I'd say consistency is exactly his issue, in the sense that he does have 15-20 game stretches where he looks like this. I love Stone and I know he will always return to his usual self, but this disappearing act is nothing new. It's unfortunate, but not unexpected.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I'd say consistency is exactly his issue, in the sense that he does have 15-20 game stretches where he looks like this. I love Stone and I know he will always return to his usual self, but this disappearing act is nothing new. It's unfortunate, but not unexpected.

Really? I've always found Stone to be pretty consistent except when he's injured, which is what I suspect is hampering his recent play. He goes through droughts with regard to hitting the game-sheet, but a healthy Stone is usually still a pain in the ass to play against.

Lately he seems to be struggling with decision-making all over the ice.

Apparently he's still leading the league in takeaways in the playoffs (tsn.ca/nhl/statistics), but that comes as a huge surprise to me. Obviously he's also missed a bunch of glorious chances in the offensive zone, and I've noticed quite a few giveaways he's made under negligible pressure. Defensively he's been okay, but where he used to thrive on takeaways in the neutral and offensive zones, he seems to have regressed to being only average (although the statistics seem to repudiate that).

He just looks like he's in that funk he gets in when injured, but I have no idea what's ailing him (if anything).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm not sure but I think it seems that Stone has to be feeling well to play well. If something is nagging him he get's thrown off. When he is off he tends to take time to re-center.

Something is up with him imo.. He looks slower than usual and he is not anywhere close to our best forward which has shown he is

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I'm not sure but I think it seems that Stone has to be feeling well to play well. If something is nagging him he get's thrown off. When he is off he tends to take time to re-center.

Something is up with him imo.. He looks slower than usual and he is not anywhere close to our best forward which has shown he is

Even in today's media interview he looks down. I hope all is well soon... as in tonight

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
Really? I've always found Stone to be pretty consistent except when he's injured, which is what I suspect is hampering his recent play. He goes through droughts with regard to hitting the game-sheet, but a healthy Stone is usually still a pain in the ass to play against.

Apparently he's still leading the league in takeaways in the playoffs (tsn.ca/nhl/statistics), but that comes as a huge surprise to me. Obviously he's also missed a bunch of glorious chances in the offensive zone, and I've noticed quite a few giveaways he's made under negligible pressure. Defensively he's been okay, but where he used to thrive on takeaways in the neutral and offensive zones, he seems to have regressed to being only average (although the statistics seem to repudiate that).

He just looks like he's in that funk he gets in when injured, but I have no idea what's ailing him (if anything).

Agree with this 100%. When healthy, even if Stone doesn't appear on the score sheet he still creates things offensively and he still gets a ton a takeaways. He haven't been himself since returning from injury 10 games or so before the end of the season.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

I agree with much of what you say here, but I think the injury blends into the mental game for Stone, or something to that effect. Everyone gets in funks and most players get in funks every year. I'm sure a big part of Ryan's difficulty turning it on at all times during the regular season is the fact that he plays a high-contact game and puts his body in sacrifice areas. Also, Stone hadn't even scored a playoff goal before these playoffs. He really hasn't had much experience at this pace of play and it's quite possible that he's simply struggling to adjust. Combine that with discomfort, and you'll get a player that looks like they have no clue what they're doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad