Mark Stone Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I am happy for Stone.

The Sens (and a few other small market teams) will never be able to compete for high end free agents with the signing bonuses being allowed the way they currently are.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stone has been one of the best 200' players that has ever played for this organization, he was great everywhere on the ice.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The contract he signed is doable by almost every market. It really isn't that outrageous.

Yep.

The difference is that the Knights have an owner that is currently (may change in the future) willing to spend while the Sens have an owner that is not.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
You can tell he hasn't been happy in Ottawa for a while now. Curious to see how his game translates elsewhere. But my god is our team horrible...reminds me of the 2003 Pens, but worse.

Yeah...but take solace in the fact that, just like the Pens, the first overall pick can change the fortunes of the team! Oh crap.

Reactions: robsenz

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Good for Stone.

And quite frankly, signing bonuses shouldn't be an issue for any team, except for the lockout year (if it happens).

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Forgive my ignorance, are the signing bonuses paid on July 1 every year?
Depends. I think that is the norm but then Ryan was paid his signing bonus a few months early last year and that raised a lot of eyebrows.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Depends. I think that is the norm but then Ryan was paid his signing bonus a few months early last year and that raised a lot of eyebrows.
Ahh ok, because what I am getting at is with a bonus to be paid in one lump sum as in July 1, there is no way that our loser owner could come up with that. Spread out over the hockey season, yes he could have matched the aav, but the one shot of money, no way. Too bad

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am happy for Stone.

The Sens (and a few other small market teams) will never be able to compete for high end free agents with the signing bonuses being allowed the way they currently are.
With interest rates where they are, it's no different than overpaying by say 200k per year. The lockout years are the only real risk imo.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Ahh ok, because what I am getting at is with a bonus to be paid in one lump sum as in July 1, there is no way that our loser owner could come up with that. Spread out over the hockey season, yes he could have matched the aav, but the one shot of money, no way. Too bad
It varies. Most are July 1, some are split between quarters, it depends on the signing bonus clause signed on the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad