Mark Spector made himself a fool...

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Stolen shamelessly from cp:

Oilers leaving Flames behind in Battle of Alberta - Sportsnet.ca

Pretty much everything here you can flip in the opposite direction. Hell, they even have our old hc. Pretty good example of why to never publish material like this at the first sign of success, because the crow can come back to bite you so quickly. Also makes me want to be a little humble for our team in (god forbid) case we ever fall back to mediocrity, because this league can be such a crapshoot from year to year.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I remember this well. Spector was called out pretty hard on twitter later that season when the Flames temporarily passed the Oilers in the standings.

As you might expect, he took it in stride and responded like a professional. :sarcasm:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Spector said:
It’s a big change in Alberta, and it won’t be changing back soon.

Move forward a season, Flames are the better team. Move forward two seasons, the Flames are BY FAR the better team and look to be the better team for the foreseeable future.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Calgary’s a wild card team at best now, while the Oilers are well in contention for the Pacific Division lead.
It’s a big change in Alberta, and it won’t be changing back soon.

Peter Chiarelli would strongly beg to differ

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I remember this well. Spector was called out pretty hard on twitter later that season when the Flames temporarily passed the Oilers in the standings.

As you might expect, he took it in stride and responded like a professional. :sarcasm:
As in blocking me from twitter:biglaugh:

Reactions: super6646

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Spector: "It’s a big change in Alberta, and it won’t be changing back soon."

Chiarelli: "Hold my beer"

What's this?

tenor.gif

I might have some lighter fluid around here somewhe...

Reactions: Mr Snrub

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I kinda fell sorry for Gulutzan....trouble seems to follow him everywhere

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
At first, I just assumed it was a stupid man saying stupid things. Then I decided to look at it from the standpoint of when it was written:

Oilers were trending upwards, looked like their issues may have been resolved.

Flames were under a new coach and just got shelled 7-3 by those same Oilers. (who swept the season series IIRC)

Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames Box Score — January 21, 2017 | Hockey-Reference.com

Then, I look at that boxscore and realize how much better their roster was then than it is today. Had the Oilers kept that roster together, Spector may not have been that far off.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Chiarelli basically inherited the following pieces:

xxx-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Purcell

He basically squandered all of that scoring depth into cap anchors and trash. All they have to show for getting rid of Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Pouliot and Purcell is dead cap space and Larsson. It's incredible really. If Chiarelli had made no trades but focused on retaining the talent he already had, while also signing some defensive free agents, the Oilers would almost certainly be a lot better.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

xxx-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Hopkins-Eberle

He basically squandered all of that scoring depth into cap anchors and trash. All they have to show for getting rid of Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Pouliot and Purcell is dead cap space and Larsson. It's incredible really. If Chiarelli had made no trades but focused on retaining the talent he already had, while also signing some defensive free agents, the Oilers would almost certainly be a lot better.

I wish there was a mind blowing emoji on here. I mean I know what's gone down, but when you see the lineup penciled in...I swear to the hockey gods that PC f***ing hated the Oilers and tried his best to destroy them. At the end of the day, we are lucky, because that team would've been scary even with a mediocre GM.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

xxx-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Hopkins-Eberle

Don't forget the D corps, critical to the initial demise.

Sekera - Klefbom
Schultz - Nurse
Fayne* - Davidson*
Gryba* - Reinhart*

Not a lot of options via free agency that year (Sekera was one) and you have to think the Oilers might be challenged to attract free agents given their place in the standings at the time. However Schlemko and Bartkowski were better options than anyone in the bottom four of the above list and probably would have signed fairly easily.

To trade that package they did for Reinhart instead of an established NHL defenseman, is mind bottling.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
To trade that package they did for Reinhart instead of an established NHL defenseman, is mind bottling
I wonder if that happens if Hamilton get shipped to another team instrad of us. I bet Chiarelli felt upstaged on McDavid day and pride got the better of him

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I wonder if that happens if Hamilton get shipped to another team instrad of us. I bet Chiarelli felt upstaged on McDavid day and pride got the better of him
Well rumour has it the Oilers were chasing Hamilton hard - to the point of threatening an offer sheet (would have been a 1st, 2nd, 3rd IIRC) leading the Bruins to trade him to Calgary for a 1st and two 2nds.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Well rumour has it the Oilers were chasing Hamilton hard - to the point of threatening an offer sheet (would have been a 1st, 2nd, 3rd IIRC) leading the Bruins to trade him to Calgary for a 1st and two 2nds.
I wonder if he still pulls the trigger that fast if Treliving doesn't beat him to it. Say he goes to Arizona or something, does Chiarelli panic trade for Reinhart that same day? I somehow doubt it

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I wonder if he still pulls the trigger that fast if Treliving doesn't beat him to it. Say he goes to Arizona or something, does Chiarelli panic trade for Reinhart that same day? I somehow doubt it
I think the mandate was "get an age-appropriate defenseman that will fit with the core" and Reinhart was "plan B"

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017

xxx-McDavid-Yakupov
Hall-Hopkins-Eberle

U forgot Barzal which is the worst trade of them all. At least for Hall they got an ok player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad